IGNORED

Maybe some Protestants/Non-Catholics can answer......

Hoddie

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

12 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Hmmm.... Wikipedi huh? Well Willa, maybe you (or your source, Wikipedia) can explain why in Acts 7:14 St. Stephen says that Jacob came to Joseph with 75 people. The Masoretic Hebrew version of Genesis 46:27 says "70," while the Septuagint’s says "75," the number Stephen used.

After pondering on this, wouldn't you agree Acts 7 provides an interesting piece of evidence that justifies the Apostolic use of the Septuagint? If not.... why not? After you respond to this, I'll address the rest of your post

Not at all, but we'll soon see about you.

Peace

I answered the OP to the best of my ability

It does seem logical when translating to go the the original tongue, and not to go from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English.  Something is sure to get lost in the translation, especially since Spanish translators found many errors in Jerome's translation..  Hebrew is a very difficult language so obscure passages are still being dealt with in light of new archeological finds.  We all only answer to God.  I am not here to justify or debate anything.   

But the goal here on Worthy is:

Col 3:12  (12-17) Wuest  ENT Put on therefore as your spiritual apparel, as chosen-out ones of God, saints and beloved ones, a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, considerateness, longsuffering, bearing with one another and forgiving one another if anyone has a matter of complaint against anyone. Even as and in the degree that the Lord forgave you, in the same manner also you forgive. And upon all these, put on divine and self-sacrificial love which is a binding factor of completeness. And the peace of Christ, let it be acting as umpire in your hearts, into which also you were called in one body. 

1Pe 3:8 Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous;[fn]

1Jo 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.1Jn 4:8  He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. Jhn 13:35  “By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

But is seems that to grow us in love, God sends us people who are very thorny and difficult to love so that we must rely on Christ's love to do so.  

Should you request more information about where we got our Bible, please ask Erasmus and Tyndale.  I can't read their minds.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  423
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  1

13 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Hoddie,

Just popped in here. Seems to me that 70 persons of the house of Jacob went to Egypt, (Gen. 46: 70) & there they met up with the rest of the family, (5) in Egypt. (Acts 7: 14)

`Then Joseph sent & called his father Jacob & all his relatives TO HIM, 75 people. ` (altogether) Acts 7: 14)

Those of the family in Canaan came together with the ones in Egypt. (70 + 5 = 75)

Marilyn.

Hello Marilyn. When you say "Seems to me" are you suggesting that you are not sure?

Also, let me ask you the sme thing I asked Willa......wouldn't you agree Acts 7 provides an interesting piece of evidence that justifies the Apostolic use of the Septuagint?

And then there is my original question. "Can you tell/show me where you got your Canon of Scripture?

Peace

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84

The current Code of Canon Law (1983 ed.), released by Pope John Paul II, has 1,752 canons. The former canon (1917) was the one with over 2,000 canons (2,414, to be precise). These canons are rules related to the governance of the Church, and they are now divided into seven headings: general norms, the people of God, teaching mission of the Church, sanctifying mission of the Church, temporal goods of the Church, penal law, and procedural law.

Many of these laws are subject to change over time as the Church sees fit.

God's Word, is all we need. The rules of men running the Catholic Church, the Popes, priests, cardinals, bishops, brothers, nuns, are unnecessary for salvation, in fact the lead people away from God. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,815
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

I'm not sure why Stephen having read the Septuagint is pertinent to the OP.  Maybe the OP could explain.

I know that Catholics United for Faith thinks it is important.... from their site -  http://www.cuf.org/FileDownloads/otcanon.pdf

"Acts 7 provides an interesting piece of evidence that justifies the Apostolic use of the Septuagint. In Acts 7:14 St. Stephen says that Jacob came to Joseph with 75 people. The Masoretic Hebrew version of Gen. 46:27 says "70", while the Septuagint says "75", the number Stephen used. Following the Apostles example, Stephen clearly used the Septuagint.

14 hours ago, Ezra said:

The fact that the canon exists indicates that it was brought together and preserved by the Holy Spirit working through Christians. 

When was (year,century) it then, and who were these Christians that you believe this event was to have happened, pre-Reformation or Post?

And

Sola Scriptura means that we do not need to go to the Apocrypha or so-called Holy Tradition to obtain further Divine teaching. Scripture is entirely sufficient for every need of the Christian.

Why, by what authority do you believe this? Where does it state this in Scripture? If scripture alone is sufficient for every need of the Christian, why dosen't Scripture tell/show us a list (canon) of what books were to belong in the Bible and which books were not? Thats leaving out a pretty big bit of information.... wouldn't you say?

I know this is getting a tad-bit off topic of my own thread, but using your Sola Scriptura (the bible only) please give your explanation of these passages, okay?

In Matt. 11:21, it say's.... "Woe to thee, Corozain...For if in Tyre and Sidon had been worked the miracles that have been worked in you, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes." ---What are these miracles in Corozain? Where is the reference?

Also in Matt. 23:2, it says....."The Scribes and the Pharisees have sat on the chair of Moses."----Where is this 'chair of Moses' referenced in Scripture?

In Acts 20:35, it say's.... "In all things I have shown you that by so toiling you ought to help the weak and REMEMBER the Word of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"---Show me the verse where Jesus said these words.

Again in Matt. 2:23, "And He went and settled in a town called Nazareth; that there might be fulfilled what was spoken through the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene."----In what verse did the prophets say this?

15 And that from a child thou hast known

the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Tim 3:15-17).

Oh yes.... the passages that Sola Scripturists believe explains it all. Your first error here is to never take verses out of context". violating this basic rule, will invariably attempt to show that the Bible will "prove" what you teach is true. It is a well known fact, that verses taken out of context can be made to "appear" to support practically any heretical teaching. Instead of conforming your teaching to Scripture, folks like you who do this attempt to twist Scripture to conform to your teaching. Always remember Erza, "a text without a context is a pretext and nothing more! If you were to look at these passage in context, you would see that "nowhere" does it say Scripture "is sufficient" as a sole rule of faith!

One other thing you must remember Erza....Your unbiblical man-made doctrine of Sola Scriptura is not only un-Scriptural, but is not historical either! History shows/proves it didn't exist for the first fifteen hundred years of Christianity!

Now back to the original question: Can you tell/show us where you got your Canon of Scripture?

Peace

1 hour ago, HAZARD said:

The current Code of Canon Law (1983 ed.), released by Pope John Paul II, has 1,752 canons. The former canon (1917) was the one with over 2,000 canons (2,414, to be precise). These canons are rules related to the governance of the Church, and they are now divided into seven headings: general norms, the people of God, teaching mission of the Church, sanctifying mission of the Church, temporal goods of the Church, penal law, and procedural law.

Many of these laws are subject to change over time as the Church sees fit.

Lol! Hazard. Not only are you hacking up scripture with your Cafeteria Christianity to help your argument, but you are hacking up Catholicanswers.com aswell? Lol!

Here, I'll post it in it's entirity for all to see your Hack-job of the Apologetic web-site: Catholicanswers.com.

Full Question: I understand the Code of Canon Law is a list of 2,000-plus laws of the Church. Are these laws subject to change over time? If so, where does the Church get the authority to change them?

Answer: The current Code of Canon Law (1983 ed.), released by Pope John Paul II, has 1,752 canons. The former canon (1917) was the one with over 2,000 canons (2,414, to be precise). These canons are rules related to the governance of the Church, and they are now divided into seven headings: general norms, the people of God, teaching mission of the Church, sanctifying mission of the Church, temporal goods of the Church, penal law, and procedural law.

Many of these laws are subject to change over time as the Church sees fit, while others are not. For example, the discipline of women wearing a veil at Mass was not retained in the newer code, and so the practice is not required. However, others things in the code, such as the doctrine expressed in canon 900 §1 (1983), cannot be changed over time. This canon states the doctrine that only a validly ordained priest can confect the sacrament of the Eucharist.

Like any other social and visible structure, the Church has norms to order the functions that have been entrusted to it. Just as the citizens of the state are to obey the speed limit, and a son is to listen to his mother’s rules, canon law is to be observed by members of the Church—which is both the kingdom and the family of God.

The Church gets her authority from Jesus to make these laws. He told the leaders of his Church, "Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven" (Mt 16:19, 18:18).

This language of "binding and loosing" was a Jewish phrase that was that meant forbidding and permitting. This pertained to the ability of scribes and Pharisees to establish rules of conduct for the faith community, and the good Jew was called by Christ to obey them (Matt. 23:3). Since Jesus gave this authority to the leaders of his Church, they have authority to do such things as establish feast days and lay down laws for the good of the community.--Answerd by Jason Evert, catholicanswers.com

Nice try my friend, but your hackjob fails :)

God's Word, is all we need.

Did you think I would forget Hazard (or did you) what you said back on the Lourdes thread?

"The difficulity in determining the biblical canon is that the bible does not give us a list of the books that belong in the bible."  -quote Hazard

Now if (as you say) the bible does not give a list of the books that belong in the bible, how and when was it determined, and by whom? As R.P. asked in the Lourdes thread....

Where did it come from?

Who approved your canon of the Scripture?

How did it come to be compiled?

And please try not to do another hack-job! Lol!

Peace

2 hours ago, Willa said:

I answered the OP to the best of my ability

Should you request more information about where we got our Bible, please ask Erasmus and Tyndale.  I can't read their minds.

Catholics don't need to ask them, for we know who determined what books were to be included in scripture. The question is.... who do you think did if the bible does not list them?

Peace

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

Lol! Hazard. Not only are you hacking up scripture with your Cafeteria Christianity to help your argument, but you are hacking up Catholicanswers.com aswell? Lol!

Here, I'll post it in it's entirity for all to see your Hack-job of the Apologetic web-site: Catholicanswers.com.

Full Question: I understand the Code of Canon Law is a list of 2,000-plus laws of the Church. Are these laws subject to change over time? If so, where does the Church get the authority to change them?

Answer: The current Code of Canon Law (1983 ed.), released by Pope John Paul II, has 1,752 canons. The former canon (1917) was the one with over 2,000 canons (2,414, to be precise). These canons are rules related to the governance of the Church, and they are now divided into seven headings: general norms, the people of God, teaching mission of the Church, sanctifying mission of the Church, temporal goods of the Church, penal law, and procedural law.

Many of these laws are subject to change over time as the Church sees fit, while others are not. For example, the discipline of women wearing a veil at Mass was not retained in the newer code, and so the practice is not required. However, others things in the code, such as the doctrine expressed in canon 900 §1 (1983), cannot be changed over time. This canon states the doctrine that only a validly ordained priest can confect the sacrament of the Eucharist.

Like any other social and visible structure, the Church has norms to order the functions that have been entrusted to it. Just as the citizens of the state are to obey the speed limit, and a son is to listen to his mother’s rules, canon law is to be observed by members of the Church—which is both the kingdom and the family of God.

The Church gets her authority from Jesus to make these laws. He told the leaders of his Church, "Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven" (Mt 16:19, 18:18).

This language of "binding and loosing" was a Jewish phrase that was that meant forbidding and permitting. This pertained to the ability of scribes and Pharisees to establish rules of conduct for the faith community, and the good Jew was called by Christ to obey them (Matt. 23:3). Since Jesus gave this authority to the leaders of his Church, they have authority to do such things as establish feast days and lay down laws for the good of the community.--Answerd by Jason Evert, catholicanswers.com

Nice try my friend, but your hackjob fails :)

Did you think I would forget Hazard (or did you) what you said back on the Lourdes thread?

"The difficulity in determining the biblical canon is that the bible does not give us a list of the books that belong in the bible."  -quote Hazard

Now if (as you say) the bible does not give a list of the books that belong in the bible, how and when was it determined, and by whom? As R.P. asked in the Lourdes thread....

Where did it come from?

Who approved your canon of the Scripture?

How did it come to be compiled?

And please try not to do another hack-job! Lol!

Peace

Laugh all you like. I showed where the Catholic church changes its laws over time as the church sees fit! see . . .  "any of these laws are subject to change over time as the Church sees fit."

I also wrote this, you left it out, or did you not read it?

"God's Word, is all we need. The rules of men running the Catholic Church, the Popes, priests, cardinals, bishops, brothers, nuns, are unnecessary for salvation, in fact they lead people away from God."

The Catholic church changes like the weather, God's Scriptures never change, they, "cannot be broken," according to Jesus Himself.

Heb. 13:8, Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

Catholics don't need to ask them, for we know who determined what books were to be included in scripture. The question is.... who do you think did if the bible does not list them?

Peace

Here's another Catholic hack-job for you! Any church who's leaders condone this type of worship is straight from you know where.

The following quote is the response from the Papal Church in regards to all the evil things that the Popes have done over the centuries. How could any man believe that we honour Christ with evil or obeying Satan or Satanic people. This makes a total mockery of Christianity and all that it represents.

Even if the Pope were Satan incarnate, we ought not to raise up our heads against him, but calmly lie down to rest on his bosom. He who rebels against our Father is condemned to death, for that which we do to him we do to Christ: we honor Christ if we honor the Pope; we dishonor Christ if we dishonor the Pope. I know very well that many defend themselves by boasting: “They are so corrupt, and work all manner of evil!” But God has commanded that, even if the priests, the pastors, and Christ-on-earth were incarnate devils, we be obedient and subject to them, not for their sakes, but for the sake of God, and out of obedience to Him.” — St. Catherine of Siena, SCS, p. 201-202, p. 222, (quoted in Apostolic Digest, by Michael Malone, Book 5: “The Book of Obedience”, Chapter 1: “There is No Salvation Without Personal Submission to the Pope”)

There is no salvation without personal submission to the Pope? Where is that anywhere in Scripture? (Scripture and verse please if you can find any.)

41 minutes ago, Amigo777 said:

I personally don't think it's wise to insult another persons faith, I can't remember where it is written but the apostle Paul explains that we shouldn't.  That person is only doing what they do for God, wrong or right.  We should correct someone with Love.

Its impossible to correct someone who refuses to be corrected, even in love after they make fun of us and ridicule us because we prefer to stay with God's Holy Word alone. Is this doing the work of God?

Even if the Pope were Satan incarnate, we ought not to raise up our heads against him, but calmly lie down to rest on his bosom. He who rebels against our Father is condemned to death, for that which we do to him we do to Christ: we honor Christ if we honor the Pope; we dishonor Christ if we dishonor the Pope. I know very well that many defend themselves by boasting: “They are so corrupt, and work all manner of evil!” But God has commanded that, even if the priests, the pastors, and Christ-on-earth were incarnate devils, we be obedient and subject to them, not for their sakes, but for the sake of God, and out of obedience to Him.” — St. Catherine of Siena, SCS, p. 201-202, p. 222,

(quoted in Apostolic Digest, by Michael Malone, Book 5: “The Book of Obedience”, Chapter 1: “There is No Salvation Without Personal Submission to the Pope”)

Satanists, they have their own church.  People who belong to the church of Satan are not doing what they do for God are they? We even have the church of Satan in Sydney and Melbourne. They even have their own bible. Its sickening and terrifying.

Z 100..jpg