IGNORED

Can a Christian be a police officer, knowing that they may have to kill?

Mateo

• Group:  Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

The death penalty is justice.  I support justice.   I will not give a murderer the mercy he denies to his victim. 

1Jo 3:15 Whosoever  hateth his  brother  is a  murderer:  and ye  know  that  no  murderer  hath eternal  life  abiding  in  him.

have you ever hated your brother?

Guest shiloh357
9 minutes ago, Mateo said:

1Jo 3:15 Whosoever  hateth his  brother  is a  murderer:  and ye  know  that  no  murderer  hath eternal  life  abiding  in  him.

have you ever hated your brother?

Justice doesn't come from a place of hate.   It comes from obedience to the Lord.   The death penalty isn't murder.  Murder is the wanton act of taking an innocent human life.   Murderers are not innocent and the death penalty is appropriate justice for them.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

The problem is people don't understand the difference between murder, and kill. If murder just meant to kill, then God contradicts Himself several times, which means the Bible is not Gods Holy word, and its null and void.

Thank goodness, a closer look at the text in the old testament, the Hebrew differentiated between "murder" I.e. Killing someone out of cold blood for selfish reasons, and killing someone in self defense, in times of war, and Capitol punishment. There is a difference, and the Bible does not contradict itself, anywhere.

And the death penalty does not incorporate mercy, that's Gods job. It incorporates justice, which is our courts job.

37 minutes ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

The problem is people don't understand the difference between murder, and kill. If murder just meant to kill, then God contradicts Himself several times, which means the Bible is not Gods Holy word, and its null and void.

Thank goodness, a closer look at the text in the old testament, the Hebrew differentiated between "murder" I.e. Killing someone out of cold blood for selfish reasons, and killing someone in self defense, in times of war, and Capitol punishment. There is a difference, and the Bible does not contradict itself, anywhere.

And the death penalty does not incorporate mercy, that's Gods job. It incorporates justice, which is our courts job.

It's funny, I completely disagree with the idea of Christians not being police officers, but I can also disagree with a thought like yours. Self defense and death penalty are things that I believe don't follow Christ's teachings.

Christ was neither Libral or conservative, and I aim to follow Him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

3 minutes ago, Mateo said:

It's funny, I completely disagree with the idea of Christians not being police officers, but I can also disagree with a thought like yours. Self defense and death penalty are things that I believe don't follow Christ's teachings.

Many opinions, only one counts. Seek His, and follow in obedience. God bless you,

2 hours ago, Mateo said:

The problem with your logic which I do respect if you don't feel like it's your job to be a police officer, that is fine, but the problem is, Jesus is God-the same God that wrote the old and the new testament. The same God, that told Paul to write that the law was put in place so that we know what is sin, and what is not sin. The same God that instituted the death penalty, and sent men to war, and allowed for self defense. So while I respect your view, I respect the view of the Bible more, and take it one step further, in that I not only have a concealed carry permit, I also carry on a regular basis-including this very minute, sitting in a target parking lot 6 hours from home.

1 hour ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

The problem with your logic which I do respect if you don't feel like it's your job to be a police officer, that is fine, but the problem is, Jesus is God-the same God that wrote the old and the new testament. The same God, that told Paul to write that the law was put in place so that we know what is sin, and what is not sin. The same God that instituted the death penalty, and sent men to war, and allowed for self defense. So while I respect your view, I respect the view of the Bible more, and take it one step further, in that I not only have a concealed carry permit, I also carry on a regular basis-including this very minute, sitting in a target parking lot 6 hours from home.

Then read Matthew 5:38-48.

31 minutes ago, Mateo said:

Then read Matthew 5:38-48.

Kind of a bad argument, and let me explain why. Matthew 5:38-39 has to do with intent, which has been brought up and covered before, and is speaking more towards someone belittling you. Its talking about revenge. A police officer or a soldier shooting someone in the line of duty is not committing revenge, but rather doing their job, and protecting innocent people. 

The Bible is all about the preservation of life, and there are evil people who seek to murder innocent life. Stepping in and stopping those people from hurting innocent people, is not murder, unless your seeking to kill them for a crime already committed.

Fact is, you can't just look at any one verse and say "see, in right" from either side of the argument. Because to do so is absurd, you can't base an entire doctrinal view on one verse, no matter what side your on, because then you create contradictions in the Bible, and you miss out on a lot. Instead you need to first look at context, then you need to find where else the Bible talks about it, and in reality use the entire Bible. The Bible was not intended to be a book we can pick and choose from, it was meant to be taken as a whole.

5 minutes ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

Kind of a bad argument, and let me explain why. Matthew 5:38-39 has to do with intent, which has been brought up and covered before, and is speaking more towards someone belittling you. Its talking about revenge. A police officer or a soldier shooting someone in the line of duty is not committing revenge, but rather doing their job, and protecting innocent people. 

The Bible is all about the preservation of life, and there are evil people who seek to murder innocent life. Stepping in and stopping those people from hurting innocent people, is not murder, unless your seeking to kill them for a crime already committed.

Fact is, you can't just look at any one verse and say "see, in right" from either side of the argument. Because to do so is absurd, you can't base an entire doctrinal view on one verse, no matter what side your on, because then you create contradictions in the Bible, and you miss out on a lot. Instead you need to first look at context, then you need to find where else the Bible talks about it, and in reality use the entire Bible. The Bible was not intended to be a book we can pick and choose from, it was meant to be taken as a whole.

If you can read that and continue in what you believe without conviction then go on.

29 minutes ago, Mateo said:

If you can read that and continue in what you believe without conviction then go on.

I can, easily, like I said, it's not speaking to a police officer doing his duty, a soldier doing his, or even me carrying my Sig for self defense. It's addressing none of those things.

It's more addressing more civil matters, like bullying, persecution, and such. To suggest it is is taking it out of context, and ignoring the entire rest of the Bible. We need to take the Bible and use it, as a whole to shape our views, not pick and choose certain verses to force fit them into our views. It doesn't work that way.