Steve_K

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  220
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, I know, its still July, but I've got a bug in my ear to talk about Halloween and share some thoughts.

I'm not going to cut and paste the entire history of Halloween because Wiki has all you need to know. BUT, suffice to say its a controversial topic among Christians.

Getting to the point, I don't have an issue with those churches or Christians who choose to have Halloween parties or go with the kids out to trick or treat. 

Paul said, (1st Cor. 6:12) "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any."

We have freedom in Christ, from the law. And we are free to decide for ourselves what honors God in our lives and what doesn't. As Paul says. not everything I do may not be good for me. This is why I think its best to leave Halloween up to the individual conscience. Yeah I know,  Halloween is "evil", etc. But I'm not about to condemn someone to the abyss because their kid is in a Halloween costume. 

In my church. the kids are given Halloween candy but are taught about the Protestant Reformation and Martin Luther. I've always thought it was a great idea. So, there are ways to get around celebrating Halloween in the strictest sense.

Again, I just don't have a problem with kids being involved with Halloween activities.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,169
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Maybe not all Halloween activities.      

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  2,434
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Halloween is a pure evil entity and is to be avoided entirely.   Paul also admonishes us to Put on the full armor of God and why, because of the spiritual host of wickedness in high places.  Because spiritual things cannot be seen, it is trivialize  and seem unimportant or harmless.  But as Mr. Thomas Brook in his "Precious remedies against satan devices" so simply put it  " satan shows the bait but hides  the hook".   

Galatians 5:11 tells us also that 

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Goodness is it time for the Halloween debate already. Its not even September yet. 

Guest Wanda01

We as a  family do not participate in halloween activities. 31 October in this household, is just the day that falls between 30 October and  1 November.

The one year my daughter went to public school, the teacher had the class come dressed in costumes, and they had a halloween march of sorts in the school....all the little children were lead from one classroom to the next, to get goody bags filled with treats. We did not know it was being done, nor did we condone it. It was a good lesson to teach, as it opened a dialogue when our daughter came home from school that day. She had never been exposed to this tradition of men and has not been since. 

I understand there are churches that have fall festivals, serving food & drinks and giving the kids treats. The children still go dressed in costumes with their little goody bags. I don't see what the difference is, when it's a church doing these things, versus someone out in the world. It's geography, really, and in my opinion, has no place in the church, where they should be about their Heavenly Father's business. 

I have had this discussion with many over the years and have heard many defenses for it, including the excuse that "this might be the one thing that draws someone to church, who would not otherwise go", and I sigh. 

God does not need gimmicks. HE is sufficient.  The Truth needs to be shared, exclaimed from the rooftops, from men who are not afraid to preach it. That is enough to pierce the heart. 

Edited by Wanda01
1 november

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  2,434
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

26 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Goodness is it time for the Halloween debate already. Its not even September yet. 

A topic like this  could never be out of season.  Come on LK, get your feet wet. 

Edited by warrior12
  • Loved it! 1

8 minutes ago, Yowm said:

If I had my druthers I would give a tract with candy.

My wife would lock the door and turn off the lights.

So guess who wins in the end?

...we turn off the lights and lock the door. :24: 

haha I do what you what you and your wife do.  I hate halloween and all it stands for.

What upsets me a whole lot is when the "church" hands out candy on that day and just labels it differently with titles like "harvest day celebration".   Oct 31 needs to be ignored 100% by those who walk in the light!

Just my 2 cents...

Just now, Yowm said:

Yes, that sounds a bit of a compromising excuse just so the little kiddies don't pout and cry 'But Johnny gets to go trick or treating', why can't I?.

Yep! It is compromising .

2 hours ago, Wanda01 said:

We as a  family do not participate in halloween activities. 31 October in this household, is just the day that falls between 30 October and  1 November.

The one year my daughter went to public school, the teacher had the class come dressed in costumes, and they had a halloween march of sorts in the school....all the little children were lead from one classroom to the next, to get goody bags filled with treats. We did not know it was being done, nor did we condone it. It was a good lesson to teach, as it opened a dialogue when our daughter came home from school that day. She had never been exposed to this tradition of men and has not been since. 

I understand there are churches that have fall festivals, serving food & drinks and giving the kids treats. The children still go dressed in costumes with their little goody bags. I don't see what the difference is, when it's a church doing these things, versus someone out in the world. It's geography, really, and in my opinion, has no place in the church, where they should be about their Heavenly Father's business. 

I have had this discussion with many over the years and have heard many defenses for it, including the excuse that "this might be the one thing that draws someone to church, who would not otherwise go", and I sigh. 

God does not need gimmicks. HE is sufficient.  The Truth needs to be shared, exclaimed from the rooftops, from men who are not afraid to preach it. That is enough to pierce the heart. 

Amen sister! God certainly has never needed gimics! Its the way of the apostate church these days and not just on halloween! Gimics.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.32
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

6 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Halloween is a pure evil entity and is to be avoided entirely.   Paul also admonishes us to Put on the full armor of God and why, because of the spiritual host of wickedness in high places.  Because spiritual things cannot be seen, it is trivialize  and seem unimportant or harmless.  But as Mr. Thomas Brook in his "Precious remedies against satan devices" so simply put it  " satan shows the bait but hides  the hook".   

Galatians 5:11 tells us also that 

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Amen ,

According to church history , TIMOTHY got clubbed to death for trying to prevent the celebration of a pagan holiday.

HE died a few days later.    I stand with timothy and warrior twelve on this one.