• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,618
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

10 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

Your aim is getting pretty good, Neighbor. That's twice now you hit your target. "Me,and my wife" Did you think I would not reply to your  comment?  I take it, from your very concerned remarks about "you don't become Rambo" just because you have a carry permit and a weapon. Nice shot. And this one..Unless she misses and takes out Grandpa or the neighbor's kid. But hey guns are fun for all, right?  Those remarks were uncalled for, even if you don't like gun owners discussing guns. Years ago, we went to the trouble to go through all the process of getting fingerprinted, pass criminal records, if any, checked, paying the state fees, going to all the classes, testing, and regular practice and safety instruction, and practice, practice, practice. You talk as if informed. First off, a blind eighty eight year old cannot obtain a carry license through the mail. If you have obtained a licenses yourself, you already know that, right?  An AK 47 is illegal to own without a class III licenses, and have it  Federal registered. Cost is around $2500.00. If not, it's prison time. NO variance, Neighbor. I personally don't like/prefer hand guns. I prefer rifles. Safer. When my family decided to get license's, I joined them, and do not regret it.  I carry 24/7.  They are all knowledgeable, safe, and aware of potential risks. We are all adults.  My neighbor is a police officer.  I'm aware of all the ramifications of firing a deadly weapon, and the loss of human life.  Two tours in the Nam took care of that. The scenario you have created with your witty words make gun owners appear backward, redneck hillbillies. Insulting. I've noticed lately you seem to know about a lot of things, and you probably do, but not everything. I also think you're getting confused, sometimes.  We're both in our seventies, and your comments are not worthy of you. I can tell you love the Lord, as do I. And I have read how much you love your young Texas bride wife, as I do my wife of forty six years. But when you commented above about "grandma", my not so young wife, you pushed my buttons.  I'm very proud of my wife, just like you. I really cannot express myself right now, as I would like to. What you said is beneath you. As my brother in Christ. I pray I have not crossed the line here, and lose my testimony.  Your brother in Christ              Gary........... in Him Who is, Semper Fidelis     Always

Hi,

My humor is often terse in nature, making it somewhat difficult to convey in written fashion. So I apologize for some of it being taken as declaring  gun owners as fools. I am  a multi weapon owner myself. I do have  my conceal carry permit. And yes, my nearly blind 88 year old uncle just paid a certified teacher to come to his house, give him the training  course, have him "fire" a "simulated" small arm, and he now has his CCP. Amazing to me! Here I  thought we had settled that  issue some time ago when I convinced him that he was in greater danger having loaded weapons in the house  than he was not having them because he doesn't have the strength to get to them nor use them.

But, he recently got so worked up watching FOX cable news that he decided he wanted to have his permit and carry. Oh well, my first thought was indeed  that his caregivers at the house might soon need to wear body armor. For in general,  it is my understanding that the first shot in a gunfight tends to go into the floor, the second tends to take out the person beside the shooter, before the weapon ever gets leveled at an enemy or bad guy.

Now that is just from the training I took to get my own CCP, and from the training senarios in the NRA video series that  I have recommended  on this thread. As to the knife fihghting, well that is an eye opener too, and might result in taking valuable training as well.

Oh, I am a fan of the Gunblast.com  presentations by Jeff Quinn too. I just find he has  a funny manner of getting a point across. So I am not anti weapon, I just think when the great restaurant gunfight breaks out with all of us armored up  with lead brass and copper pellets and disks, and hollow points,  we are going to make a real mess of all of us, and the bad guy  is going to be left standing wondering what was that all about, all I wanted was the money.

And yes I suppose I have opinions on a lot of things as  I think most of us do. I find my own are quite often contrary to the majority, but hey I am left handed too, and for that reason prefer not having the safety on  with any weapon designed for righties. And I keep one round in the chamber too. No sense carrying and then having to rack first giving the bad guy that extra moment to make me depart this life. ( Now see, that is some of my humor, perhaps it doesn't come across well without vocalization and arm waving as I talk.)

And lastly , Yes I do think many, including me, start out with a movie watcher's idea of how a Rambo situation goes. And that most might not think, hey I could be the loser not the winner, not the Rambo that just chinches up yet another wound and rumbles onward.

Oh a second final note: Yes I  have been around, 'bout long as you, and no I did not serve  at Viet Nam, wasn't ever in the military. Instead I was the very young funeral director that assisted or directed 179 military funerals of men and a few women roughly my own age as they were brought back home. Which included working with the surviving families for weeks on end most each time. It was emotional for sure. I also made many a "first call'  to shootout sites back in the days when the coroner's office had no central facilites. So I have seen the aftermath of a few shootouts robberies and suicides too. All very unpleasant business that may indeed meld my opinion differently than many other people's.

Plus, I do have all hazards training ( and even State certification to prove it, Wowee!) and have helped prepare a couple of schools for the many possible scenarios requiring hunkering down or evacuation. It had been part of my career needs. That I have opinions doesn't make them right nor wrong, it just means my mind still functions.

I love hearing differing opinions of others!!! I even like hearing my own differing and ever changing conclusions as new information comes to  my  own brain. I try to avoid suffering cognitive dissonance, - reasoning that Festinger was right with his theory.

God bless,

Neighbor, (The cranky sounding one, Ha!)

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,618
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Why, in a former life, I even joined forces with my sailor family members and bought a real preppers  survival retreat, 28 acres of island out in the middle of the coastal jungle. They being braver than me by far actually spent two years at sea on a 28 foot Danish double ender sail boat without any power at all, without even a radio. They had a radar reflector for ships to see them by, as if those ships pilots cared, and a kerosene lantern to light up their sails at night. They sailed, lived on islands, sailed and moved on, all around Cape Horn from San Francisco to  the sun coast of Florida.  The ideas of preppers and survivalists are not entirely foreign to me. I just along with my sailing family one by one became  born again saints and would now rather risk life simply carrying our Bibles and enjoying the comforts of the Holy Spirit.

I do find it difficult to understand us, -born again saints in Christ Jesus - worrying excessively about the condition of our flesh. We do anyway, but it is hard for me to reconcile the two concepts, one that my flesh is corruptible, and that the best day of my life is the day  my soul is required of me, with my own prepper  "instincts" and sense of I must defend myself at all costs.

Anyway  our Lord has it all worked out for us, eh!

Edited by Neighbor