• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/01/1987

Alcohol is a mocker and strong drink will cause the strongest of people to fall and commit awful sins. It may seem innocent at the start, but one will turn into two and so on. In the end, the person will be merry... then they will take it too far and get drunk. The next thing you know, they commit adultery, fight, make themselves look like a fool by acting and talking like one. Lusts and covetous acts will also arise as a result and this is not something God wants us to get involved with.

Proverbs 23:29-35 KJV

29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?

30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.

34 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.

35 They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

Isaiah 28:7-8 KJV

7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.

8 For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean.

Leviticus 10:9 KJV

Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations

Proverbs 20:1 KJV

Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise

Proverbs 31:6 KJV

Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Isaiah 5:11 KJV

Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!

Isaiah 56:12 KJV

Come ye, say they, I will fetch wine, and we will fill ourselves with strong drink; and to morrow shall be as this day, and much more abundant.

Isaiah 24:9 KJV

They shall not drink wine with a song; strong drink shall be bitter to them that drink it.

Edited by Celtic Baptist
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.91
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

On 12/13/2017 at 10:39 AM, OakWood said:

This is not a flat Earth topic and FE is irrelevant to the thread and the subject of Flat Earth should not be introduced to it, but if that's the only way you can debate a subject by diverting the reader's attention to another one then perhaps you should politely bow out of the discussion and leave the thread to those who are capable of giving constructive answers.

Yep. It's a feeble Poisoning the Well (Fallacy) via a Fallacy of Innuendo.

Interestingly, he had his "Hat Handed to Him" on that topic more times than I can count.

regards

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

On 12/13/2017 at 9:43 AM, hmbld said:

Why do we all tell each other, you don’t know what your talking about?    

Because sometimes it's true.  There are times when you don't know what you're talking about.  There are times when someone else doesn't know what they're talking about.  There are times when I don't know what I'm talking about.  Sometimes we don't "know" what we're talking about but think we do and go running off spouting about said topic on which we are not knowledgeable believing what we've been taught, or imagine to be so is so because we've been taught it believe it.  

That, in part, explains why we all tell each other, "you don't know what your (sic) talking about." 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

On 12/13/2017 at 9:44 AM, shiloh357 said:
On 12/13/2017 at 9:30 AM, OakWood said:

Fermentation processes are exactly the same today as they were then.

No, that is not true.  Our liquor is far stronger than it was in ancient times.  

Actually, fermentation processes are exactly the same today as back then.  Fermentation is a natural process.  What is different is distillation processes (distillation of alcohol not discovered until at least the 9th Century A.D.) where you take a fermented product, wine, and through distillation make a stronger (higher alcohol %) product such as cognac, or vodka, or...  So, naturally our "liquor" is stronger because they didn't know how to distill it in ancient times.  

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

16 hours ago, Michael Fernandez said:

Actually, fermentation processes are exactly the same today as back then.  Fermentation is a natural process.  What is different is distillation processes (distillation of alcohol not discovered until at least the 9th Century A.D.) where you take a fermented product, wine, and through distillation make a stronger (higher alcohol %) product such as cognac, or vodka, or...  So, naturally our "liquor" is stronger because they didn't know how to distill it in ancient times.  

16 hours ago, Michael Fernandez said:

Correct. Our spirits are stronger (they didn't have spirits in those days), because spirits are distilled products. But our wines and ales are the same as they have always been.

Spirits will make a person drunk quicker and require smaller amounts to do so because they are 'stronger', but wines and beers are significantly strong enough to make a person drunk if you drink more of them, and you still don't have to drink a lot.

Wine is fermented grape juice. Fermented grape juice that has been distilled is called 'brandy'. Brandy didn't exist in ancient times but wine did. Brandy may be around four to five times stronger than wine and that's why you only need tiny amounts served in little tiny containers to get you drunk, but wine will make you drunk if served in larger glasses. Even a pint of wine will make most people tipsy, whereas a pint of brandy will probably knock most people out.

My argument is not whether drinking alcohol is wrong or not. It may be or it may not be.... but we should always check what scripture says and use scripture to justify the argument - not false science.

My argument is against people who use false information to justify complete abstinence from alcohol.  Wine in Biblical times was not free from alcohol, nor was it low in alcohol. Likewise, today's wine is not significantly stronger than it used to be, nor do modern winemakers deliberately make the wine stronger than it was. Wine has always been wine!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

and yet theres drunkards that live to age 90.....have you ever noticed, pretty much everything "can cause cancer" according to the state of  california? well, that leads to two logical conclusions, either they have no clue what theyre talking about, or the state of california causes cancer. You decide. But it most certainly isnt alcohol.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 minutes ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

and yet theres drunkards that live to age 90.....have you ever noticed, pretty much everything "can cause cancer" according to the state of  california? well, that leads to two logical conclusions, either they have no clue what theyre talking about, or the state of california causes cancer. You decide. But it most certainly isnt alcohol.

That is rare. People who drink excessively have a relatively short life span. But people who are in denial about the effects of alcohol want to believe that.

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

That is rare. People who drink excessively have a relatively short life span. But people who are in denial about the effects of alcohol want to believe that.

not as rare as you might think...have you actually researched this? And, there is a difference between those that drink excessively, and those that have one glass a day.

In fact, if just one glass a day could cause cancer, then those that do drink excessively, should have extremely high cancer rates....and quite frankly, I haven't seen any numbers that actually support this. Virtually everything in that article is based upon pure speculation, not science.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 minute ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

not as rare as you might think...have you actually researched this? And, there is a difference between those that drink excessively, and those that have one glass a day.

In fact, if just one glass a day could cause cancer, then those that do drink excessively, should have extremely high cancer rates....and quite frankly, I haven't seen any numbers that actually support this. Virtually everything in that article is based upon pure speculation, not science.

I am from the medical profession Pat. I have seen many die from alcoholism and excessive drinking. It messes up the liver, pancreas and many other organs of the body. I am not talking about only one glass of alcohol per day but serious drinking.

5 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I am from the medical profession Pat. I have seen many die from alcoholism and excessive drinking. It messes up the liver, pancreas and many other organs of the body. I am not talking about only one glass of alcohol per day but serious drinking.

indeed, i never said excessive drinking was good for you. theres no doubt that excessive drinking is bad for you. what I said was, the article attributing it to cancer is bad science. Especially when theres ample evidence, including Biblical, to suggest that drinking in moderation can actually be healthy for you.

• Thumbs Up 2