• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not endorsing it btw but something has me curious

1. Is there a bible verse expressly condemning it?

we all know it goes against Gods  original plan but I don't think I know if a verse where God expressly  told them you can only have 1 wife.

what do you think of this bit of history . providing some insight  into how thibgs wrte back then?

Screenshot_2017-11-29-06-18-10-1.png

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  3

Hi CM,

I have wondered about that in the Bible, when it was stopped.

Many cultures across the globe practiced it.

Many wives was a status thing, as well as many children fortifying a family line etc.

Ive never heard about the war situation though.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I don't think it's necessarily prohibited scripturally, however one can make a strong argument that it's not God's ideal, as there are many verses that center around one man for one woman and if you look at the men in the Bible who had multiple wives they tended to have troubles with them.

Of course it would be wrong to do here in America regardless-the Bible does say we need to respect those in authority over us, and polygamy is illegal in the US at this current moment. So there is that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51

5 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

we all know it goes against Gods  original plan but I don't think I know if a verse where God expressly  told them you can only have 1 wife.

what do you think of this bit of history . providing some insight  into how thibgs wrte back then?

Yes the bible does condemn it where it says that a man shall leave his father and MOTHER (not mothers) and be united to his WIFE, not wives) and the TWO, not three, four, or five, or....59.... shall become one flesh. Pretty definitive statement right there about not only polygamy, but same sex marriage as well.

Now polygamy might have been something that God may have winked at, say in the very beginning, or in the first few centuries after the flood, when the world needed to be populated far more quickly that a man could do with one wife, this was never God's arrangement from the beginning. 

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Yes, there are many similar verses as this...

Rev 19:7
(7)  Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready;

(not brides have made themselves ready lol)

Well one can, and probably should argue that verse doesn't apply, as that verse is referring to the church, not a marriage between a man and woman, and the church is made up of many people. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

No, polygamy is not specifically condemned in the Bible. But according to the "one flesh" aspect which the bible teaches it would not be something God would allow.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I think the qualifications laid out for a deacon is a strong case against polygamy. Paul gives qualifications for a deacon and one of them is "husband of one wife". While this was a qualification laid specifically for leaders, it simply reflects the standard of holiness required to serve the Lord. In Christ, everyone is the same. And these standards are pretty much applicable for every believer. Everyone is a servant of the Lord. Considering this, polygamy is not a standard acceptable in the presence of Lord.

There are certain things which need not be explicitly stated in the Bible to be considered immoral. Even non-believers, atheists, people of other faith all predominantly agree that polygamy is immoral.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Deuteronomy 25:5-10 

“If brothers dwell together, and one of them dies and has no son, the wife of the dead man shall not be married outside the family to a stranger. Her husband's brother shall go in to her and take her as his wife and perform the duty of a husband's brother to her. And the first son whom she bears shall succeed to the name of his dead brother, that his name may not be blotted out of Israel. And if the man does not wish to take his brother's wife, then his brother's wife shall go up to the gate to the elders and say, ‘My husband's brother refuses to perpetuate his brother's name in Israel; he will not perform the duty of a husband's brother to me.’ Then the elders of his city shall call him and speak to him, and if he persists, saying, ‘I do not wish to take her,’ then his brother's wife shall go up to him in the presence of the elders and pull his sandal off his foot and spit in his face. And she shall answer and say, ‘So shall it be done to the man who does not build up his brother's house.’ 

• Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

10 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

As far as I know it's not condemned in the Bible but there are lots of consequences for having more than 1 wife.

Can you find one place in the Bible where it didn't turn out to be drama?

Genesis 2:24New International Version (NIV)

24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.  Genisis 2:24

The N.T clearly talks about 1 wife.

1 Corinthians 7:1

Concerning Married Life

1 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 

2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 

3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 

4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 

5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 

6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 

7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. 

8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do.

9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. 

10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 

11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 

13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 

14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 

16 How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

11 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

Since the world today is as in the days of Noah, 

and as it was in Sodom and Gomorrah,

does it matter if the people of the world sin with one spouse, or with more than one spouse ? !

They will all be destroyed by fire anyway , right ?   Everyone is doing what is right in their own sight......