• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

On 12/8/2017 at 6:56 AM, Equippers said:

hello, do you mean to spray carpet fresh, let it dry and then let it sit on the stain for a few days?

or do you mean there is a dry form of carpet cleaner go by the name carpet fresh?

i did a google search but could not find a dry form of carpet cleaner by that brand name?

thank you

Carpet Fresh is a brand name and it's made by Arm and Hammer Co.  It's sold at grocery stores, Walmart, Target, etc.  It's a baking soda based deodorizer for carpets but it works on other things too.  I have even sprinkled it all over my garage floor, let it sit for a day, and then sweep it up.  It works on concrete for smoking odors since people smoke in my garage.  Are you not in the U.S.?

d716d81b63c9cb3c5ec34559a4af8a8d.500.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  0

On 13/12/2017 at 7:46 AM, MorningGlory said:

Carpet Fresh is a brand name and it's made by Arm and Hammer Co.  It's sold at grocery stores, Walmart, Target, etc.  It's a baking soda based deodorizer for carpets but it works on other things too.  I have even sprinkled it all over my garage floor, let it sit for a day, and then sweep it up.  It works on concrete for smoking odors since people smoke in my garage.  Are you not in the U.S.?

d716d81b63c9cb3c5ec34559a4af8a8d.500.jpg

hello

thanks for getting back to me

no i am from New Zealand, unfortunately, the stores here don't carry this brand.

that is ok, i will try the baking soda white vinegar solution first, if that doesn't work, i will try to get some online.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2017 at 10:28 AM, Davida said:

Have you tried Murphy's Oil Soap?   just dilute some according to instructions but only in a little bowl & using a damp cloth dip it in and test try a little inconspicuous spot to make sure it doesn't take off the finish. Don't soak it just damp wipe and see if it takes the odor out.  Or alternatively-try  orange oil or lemon oil but orange might be stronger again test a spot first.

thanks, i might try that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

6 hours ago, Equippers said:

hello

thanks for getting back to me

no i am from New Zealand, unfortunately, the stores here don't carry this brand.

that is ok, i will try the baking soda white vinegar solution first, if that doesn't work, i will try to get some online.

Just be careful of ANY liquid on wood, Equppers.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 12/8/2017 at 8:29 AM, Justin Adams said:

Try lemon to get rid of the smell. It also cleans as well. Then a hot iron on a cloth might work to rid any oils still remaining.

Olive oil is also something that can be applied to wooden floor stains. Depends on the type of wood. Red oak is porous, white oak is not. Some people actually use mayonnaise as a stain removal as well.

Yes I have used lemons on apartments after similar events. Using a strong blender I just pulverized masses of whole lemons and then paste the slurry on the affected floor and leave it for a few days. Might the wood swell buckle stain  or become bleached? Yes.

Additionally  I have used raw coffee grounds, baking soda and also white vinegar with some success. But on the worst smells lemon has been best for my uses. Wood alcohol also tends to work it's way into the grain and might be helpful as an ingredient especially if you want to mixture to evaporate  rapidly.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

On 15/12/2017 at 5:46 PM, MorningGlory said:

Just be careful of ANY liquid on wood, Equppers.

thank you

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Yes I have used lemons on apartments after similar events. Using a strong blender I just pulverized masses of whole lemons and then paste the slurry on the affected floor and leave it for a few days. Might the wood swell buckle stain  or become bleached? Yes.

Additionally  I have used raw coffee grounds, baking soda and also white vinegar with some success. But on the worst smells lemon has been best for my uses. Wood alcohol also tends to work it's way into the grain and might be helpful as an ingredient especially if you want to mixture to evaporate  rapidly.

thank you

sorry, what is a grain?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

21 minutes ago, Equippers said:

thank you

sorry, what is a grain?

The fibers of the wood. They will run lengthwise on a floor plank. it is what  you see as texture.

Generally  one works with the grain  not across it when cleaning sanding or finishing.

By the way, are you working on a wood plank floor, or are you working a substrate of plywood or OSB, that will be carpeted  or covered with some type of tile?

My guess is that if you use any oils they will just smother the pollution not lift it out. Plus you will then have to get rid of the oil to work on the odor and it will be difficult to apply  any new finish.

Most anything you use is going to lift the grain and/or discolor the finish. You will likely have to sand down any raised grain and stain and seal the repaired area. If you are not ready for that task it might be best to hire  a company to do the job  for you. 

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

29 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

The fibers of the wood. They will run lengthwise on a floor plank. it is what  you see as texture.

Generally  one works with the grain  not across it when cleaning sanding or finishing.

By the way, are you working on a wood plank floor, or are you working a substrate of plywood or OSB, that will be carpeted  or covered with some type of tile?

My guess is that if you use any oils they will just smother the pollution not lift it out. Plus you will then have to get rid of the oil to work on the odor and it will be difficult to apply  any new finish.

Most anything you use is going to lift the grain and/or discolor the finish. You will likely have to sand down any raised grain and stain and seal the repaired area. If you are not ready for that task it might be best to hire  a company to do the job  for you. 

That is what I was thinking. Sand it down.

• Thumbs Up 1