IGNORED

Strange Beliefs

LadyKay

Guest shiloh357
4 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Periodically we come across folks who think they are either Jesus or one of the two witnesses. Thats pretty much as off the wall as it gets.

Yes, I recall a guy on here who thought he was the reincarnation of Elijah.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

I used to have a golfing buddy who built a little birdhouse for another golfing friend, just as a kind gift.

Problem was, the birdhouse had a steeple on it.The intended recipient claimed that the steeple was a “ phallic symbol” and he would not take it.So my buddy ripped the steeple off the birdhouse and handed it to the other guy and said, “you happy now?”

• Haha 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  596
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  03/01/1969

Sometimes I hide a bacon sandwich in my beard

• Haha 3

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

A friend of the family join a church and the rule was men could not wear short sleeve shirts. Even in the heat of summer. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/23/1978

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

A friend of the family join a church and the rule was men could not wear short sleeve shirts. Even in the heat of summer. 

Yep, been to those churches...My dad says a guy with puny arms made that doctrine up because he didn't want anyone to look at his arms...lol

• Haha 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

8 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

I used to have a golfing buddy who built a little birdhouse for another golfing friend, just as a kind gift.

Problem was, the birdhouse had a steeple on it.The intended recipient claimed that the steeple was a “ phallic symbol” and he would not take it.So my buddy ripped the steeple off the birdhouse and handed it to the other guy and said, “you happy now?”

Best guess they were Jehovah witnesses .     but that is just a guess.   

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

9 hours ago, Debp said:

This isn't a Christian strange belief, but rather a Mormon strange belief.   Someone who ministered to Mormons told me that devout Mormons will wear special underwear with certain symbols on the underwear.  I think they are supposed to wear it all of the time.

Has anyone heard of this before?   I know they have other strange secret practices which go on in their temples.

Ah, yes. The ol' "magic underwear."

Ran into a few of those during my time in the military.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

3 hours ago, BrutalHeart said:

I've always wondered where the belief that a Christian man shouldn't have a beard comes from, especially when you consider that like 95% of the guys in the bible had beards. Hanun shaved off half the beards of David's servants and David let them sit in isolation so that their beards could grow back, Jesus' beard hair being pulled out... Beards pretty much everywhere in scripture.

Little old ladies calling me gross and unclean cause i've got facial hair. Not that it's a super common thing, but still, it seems like many people (both christian and non-christian) frown on beards.

That's likely because shaving wasn't exactly easy or safe back then. Trimming a beard probably wouldn't be bad, but close shaves were probably not common - except in cases like your example. Middle Eastern culture still encourages men to grow beards even today and especially in sects of Islam.

The latest fad for the 20-somethings seems to be beards now. Just about every 4th guy in the place has one at this point. I don't like messing with long hair or beards, so no beard and a short haircut work for me. Less time to take care of them.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, BrutalHeart said:

I've always wondered where the belief that a Christian man shouldn't have a beard comes from, especially when you consider that like 95% of the guys in the bible had beards. Hanun shaved off half the beards of David's servants and David let them sit in isolation so that their beards could grow back, Jesus' beard hair being pulled out... Beards pretty much everywhere in scripture.

Little old ladies calling me gross and unclean cause i've got facial hair. Not that it's a super common thing, but still, it seems like many people (both christian and non-christian) frown on beards.

Today, facial hair is just a fashion trend or personal preference.

But that negative attitude from "little old ladies" comes from the movement in the 1960's when long hair and beards became a sign of rebellion against the previous generation and against the American military and war.

These young people's parents were from the WWII generation - buzz cuts and no facial hair, strong support of the military, the American way of life which to them included decency, morality, and traditional values.

These young people began their revolution by their appearance which at that time represented the drug culture, the sexual revolution, and the anti-war/anti-American way of life philosophy.

Older people will still see it that way.  But I just see facial hair as whatever style a man chooses to wear.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Best guess they were Jehovah witnesses .     but that is just a guess.   

Did not want to point the finger at any particular group.......having said that—- good guess!

• Thumbs Up 1