Game of Thrones

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  459
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

This has probably been asked 1000 times, what what does everyone think about Christians watching GOT?

Myself and husband watched all of the seasons and just loved the rich plot and almost allegorical storylines. We have invested so much time and energy in this programme and now it is the final season where all of the storylines that we watched will all be tied together in a grand finale.

However, I only feel that I have been properly saved over the past month and am now conscious that many Christians refuse to watch it.

The nudity and sex scenes don't engage me in any way, and I turn away when they come on anyway.

There are other storylines which have adult themes, but I just see it as storytelling. Is this a case of 'to your own conscience be true' or is there a hard and fast rule about watching it?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

45 minutes ago, Thewhitedove said:

The nudity and sex scenes don't engage me in any way, and I turn away when they come on anyway.

Although I have a few Christian acquaintances who watch Game of Thrones, I've never seen it personally. Perhaps that might be it. As you've mentioned, the program was something you got involved with before getting saved, but it's something you wish to see it to the end of the final season. Well, if conviction isn't troublesome concerning it, far be it from me to pass judgement. God bless. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

I have many Christian friends and relatives who watch Game of Thrones.  One of them said to me, "Well, I love it, but you can't watch it with Jesus sitting beside you."

I did not respond when she said that to me.  I should have.

I have not seen it, but I have read countless articles of people praising it, people hating it, and I feel like I know enough about it to say that I can't be a part of it.  

I'm so happy that you have been saved.  It's a decision that you will never regret.

Here some Bible verses to think about and meditate on.

•  Psalm 101:2-3 [in part] = "...I will walk within my house in the integrity of my heart.  I will set no worthless thing before my eyes..."  Why does King David say this?  I think because the eyes and what we consume with them [not just a accidental glance, but a longing desired stare] affects our brains and minds and sears our consciences.  It shapes what we believe, desire, and hold sacred.
  •  Proverbs 4:23 = "Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. "  Everything we DO flows from what we hold dear in our hearts or hold as having worth.
  •  Philippians 4:6-7 = "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  The peace of God cannot come of ingesting the vileness of the world - whether it be what we watch, read, eat, drink, or in any way consume.   If it is wicked - if it is not something Godly - then it changes who we say we are as Christians.  It makes us hard, faithless, fruitless, and without conscience.  There is no peace there.

The battle for the Christian - so says the Bible - is a battle of the mind and heart.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

On 4/30/2019 at 10:01 AM, Thewhitedove said:

Myself and husband watched all of the seasons and just loved the rich plot and almost allegorical storylines.

Shalom Thewhitedove,

I too watch GoT (shriek in horror!).  Did you see the last episode? Man, it must have had the same budget as a movie!

I don't see any wrong in watching it, as long as the motive is good.  For example, if you wanted to watch it to see nudity and violence, then the program will become a snare to you.  If you wanted to watch it for the story and character development, there's nothing wrong with that.  So long as you don't glorify a particular character in your mind higher than the Lord, which I'm sure you don't! (or though some atheists do!)

It can also help you relate to atheists who watch it.  It enables you to draw analogies, share things in common to build rapport and even build friendships - a great door opener.  

As for me, when I watch it, I even consider some parts in relation to the Bible, as the Lord and His Word is rarely out of my mind.  For example, in the last episode, during the great battle, I was considering what it must have been like being in Jerusalem at the time it was taken by Babylon.  Seeing the chaotic war unfold really helped me visualise the dread that must have been felt in Jerusalem before the battle.  Or even later, before Rome destroyed it.  

Again, the most important thing is to assess your motives and pleasure you derive from it.  If your conscious is pricked - ease off it.  But if it's not, and as long as it doesn't detrimentally affect your Walk, thoughts and behaviour - then be at peace. After all, they're just acting! :P

Love & Shalom

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

Never seen it.

25 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom Thewhitedove,

I don't see any wrong in watching it, as long as the motive is good.  For example, if you wanted to watch it to see nudity

So, you are saying that as long as a believer only watches nudity, in "R" rated content programs, ... that this is OK with God, as long as you dont really enjoy it.

That's interesting.

You'll forgive me if i dont agree with you., i'm sure.

Edited by Behold

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

I've seen a number of shows along these lines... My only issue with them being when they depict actual historical figures and when much of the sex and violence included is rather forced and needless.

Actual historical figures doesn't apply to GOT, but I just think it's weird to depict a historical figure. Many if not most historical facts are merely the most popular possibilities. There was another show called The Tudors, which depicted Henry VIII's rule. You know, big guy who leaves the Catholic church so he can take on six different wives? To me, it's like... What if Katherine Howard wasn't a loose woman at all, and those were merely the charges levied against her? What if the fellow executed at the start of the show wasn't actively forming a rebellion? I know if Abe Lincoln saw "Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" (actual movie by the way), he'd probably think we in the future were all mad dunces. 

As for GOT and other such shows, I tend to watch them for the storyline. Despite my feelings about historical depictions, i've seen those to see how they interpret the history of it. It's a bit fun to try and weigh who would be the best fit for the throne, to see how the characters and events develop. Again, I feel like much of the sex and violence is a bit needless. A giant battle that has to take place, sure, so long as it doesn't make the violence seem like a good or fun thing. The sex, a guy can just look away.

Funny enough, I actually kind of liked Jeoffry. I know, he was a mean and repulsive kid, but I found him funny for some reason. I don't know about Jon for the throne, though; he doesn't really have experience, and I think it was something Tyrion said, but he was right in that winning is not the same thing as ruling. I just don't think Jon would be that adept at being king. Me personally, if Stannis hadn't gotten mixed in all that religious business, I think he would've been my choice. It's hard to say that after what he did to his daughter, but yeah, if it was just regular ol' Stannis without all the fire stuff, I think he would've been my choice.

I agree with other posters though that these particular shows... Really aren't the best thing to watch. I'm making efforts recently to try and work away from such shows. If you're able to watch it without it adversely affecting you, I think it's okay; I just don't know about making a habit of it anymore though.

Edited by dr3032
It was Vampire Hunter, not Slayer. My bad.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

If you, for entertainment, can watch women get violently raped, watch fathers have sex with daughters, brothers have sex with sisters, watch men have sex with men, watch women have sex with women, and your conscience as a Christian is not seared and you claim to use this as a "witnessing tool" in talking to atheists, then something is dreadfully wrong.

Good storyline and characters?  That's like men saying they read Playboy for the articles.

I've read dozens of sites where Christians do nothing but exalt this show and in all of them and here, I see an attachment to the to content as something the likes I've never seen before.  It's frightening to me.

It's emotional and mental and deep.  And scores of Christians are saying....well, it doesn't affect me.  WHY NOT?!?!  Have you stopped to ask yourself that.

Why doesn't it affect you as a Christian?

That's what I don't understand.  

• This is Worthy 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

5 hours ago, Behold said:

So, you are saying that as long as a believer only watches nudity, in "R" rated content programs, ... that this is OK with God, as long as you dont really enjoy it.

That's interesting.

You'll forgive me if i dont agree with you., i'm sure.

You're right, Behold, I forgive you :) 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

18 hours ago, Jayne said:

If you, for entertainment, can watch women get violently raped, watch fathers have sex with daughters, brothers have sex with sisters, watch men have sex with men, watch women have sex with women, and your conscience as a Christian is not seared and you claim to use this as a "witnessing tool" in talking to atheists, then something is dreadfully wrong.

Good storyline and characters?  That's like men saying they read Playboy for the articles.

I've read dozens of sites where Christians do nothing but exalt this show and in all of them and here, I see an attachment to the to content as something the likes I've never seen before.  It's frightening to me.

It's emotional and mental and deep.  And scores of Christians are saying....well, it doesn't affect me.  WHY NOT?!?!  Have you stopped to ask yourself that.

Why doesn't it affect you as a Christian?

That's what I don't understand.  

Sorry Jayne but, I did read Playboy for the articles (too). One of the finest short stories of our time appeared as "Duel" in Playboy. It became a movie for starring Dennis Weaver.  I love it to this day as a griping tale of terrors survived. It was one scary dramatic and identifiable terror story.

-------

In general on the topic at hand:

I do read the Bible for entertainment  I guess, as perhaps it is entertaining to see the reveal of Jesus throughout it's pages.  Sure it is! I read it with it's incredible violence, sex, numerous awkward perversions, and serious morality lessons. It is all a rather eye popping opening for the reveal of the need of my Lord Jesus and becomes great encouragement to me in the certainty of my salvation by His faithful duty and service to His Father.

Satan does imitate, perhaps GoT is an imitation, perhaps Star Wars is imitation too. I tend to find such fare to be lacking the power, the punch, the vitality, of the Bible with it's God inspired accounts of much of the same subject matter. The Bible has the vital difference, that of revealing Jesus and sharing His gospel, that He is God, the way the truth the life, by which comes eternal life for those that believe on Him, as foreknown and predestined by God.

The oaths of a crime syndicate movie scene, Good fellows or The Godfather as examples have nothing on the graphic perfundity of the Bible's Genesis 24:9. Picture that one as a movie scene for a moment. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/30/2019 at 5:01 AM, Thewhitedove said:

This has probably been asked 1000 times, what what does everyone think about Christians watching GOT?

Myself and husband watched all of the seasons and just loved the rich plot and almost allegorical storylines. We have invested so much time and energy in this programme and now it is the final season where all of the storylines that we watched will all be tied together in a grand finale.

However, I only feel that I have been properly saved over the past month and am now conscious that many Christians refuse to watch it.

There are other storylines which have adult themes, but I just see it as storytelling. Is this a case of 'to your own conscience be true' or is there a hard and fast rule about watching it?

Does it prick your conscience to watch? Then don't watch it!

Are you okay, with a clean conscience when you watch it? Then watch it!

• Thumbs Up 1