Remaining unbaptised?

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I need some advice as I just don’t know if this one concept is what is leading me to feel so conflicted and lost. I do identify as Christian and as a convert to it. However for the 9 years I have opted to be unbaptised and remain as non-denominational. I have always been very spiritual and was seeking what felt right and now this feeling right but I am totally conflicted over so many aspects of my life. 

I opted to remain non-denominational as I wanted this spiritual journey to be mine and I didn’t want to be influenced but now I just feel like I am drifting through life with questions I don’t easily find the answers to. 

Is baptism the answer? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,306
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

8 hours ago, Lostandfound said:

I need some advice as I just don’t know if this one concept is what is leading me to feel so conflicted and lost. I do identify as Christian and as a convert to it. However for the 9 years I have opted to be unbaptised and remain as non-denominational. I have always been very spiritual and was seeking what felt right and now this feeling right but I am totally conflicted over so many aspects of my life.

I opted to remain non-denominational as I wanted this spiritual journey to be mine and I didn’t want to be influenced but now I just feel like I am drifting through life with questions I don’t easily find the answers to.

Is baptism the answer?

This is something you should be discussing with your minister.

You know the person who each week is standing at the front of the church where you are a signed up member.

If you are not a member of a church were you meet each and every week for worship and fellowship.

That will be your problem.

If you are. As I said talk it over with your minister, he will know you far better then we do in this forum and he is the persopn you should be turning to for spiritual advice.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

Hi, found.  Baptism by immersion represents the death of the old man and his sinful lifestyle and being reborn as a child of God, cleansed and putting on the life of Christ.  It is a testimony as to what God has done in our lives and is an act of obedience to Christ.

Rom 6:3  ESV Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?  Rom 6:4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.  Rom 6:5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his  Rom 6:6 We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.

It is best to do what we are directed to do in Scripture instead of what "feels" right.  Our emotions can play havoc with us.  On the other hand we are told to allow the peace of God to act as a referee in our hearts.  

Col 3:15  And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ's] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always].

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

9 hours ago, Lostandfound said:

Is baptism the answer? 

Pray to God about your conflict. Why have you not made a decision to be baptized? It is ok to not have a denomination. The answer is to have a daily relationship with God and to give your life to God. You need to have a genuine faith in Jesus Christ and become a born again Christian. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,360
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

Hello to you Found( the positive of your nickname), great to have you among us. Sound advice, as always, from Willa. Being baptised is an outward declaration of identifying your desire to follow Christ. It's something that should really follow soon after saying yes to Jesus, and turning from your past life. There are those that say baptism isn't a requirement for salvation. What I know is, that if you don't get baptised before you depart this life, you will be unbaptised for eternity, not good.

"I have decided to follow Jesus, I have decided to follow Jesus, I have decided to follow Jesus, no turning back, no turning back. The Cross before me, the world behind me, the Cross before me, the world behind me, the Cross before me, the world behind me, no turning back, no turning back."   God bless.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

10 hours ago, Lostandfound said:

Is baptism the answer? 

It's OK to be "non-denominational", but if you are not meeting other believers regularly for fellowship somewhere than your Christian journey will be much harder than it needs to be. Becoming a Christian makes you part of a family. We weren't meant to be alone! Being on your own doesn't make you free from influence; it just makes you susceptible to all kinds of non-Christian influences.

Baptism is not necessary for salvation, but it is nevertheless very important because of what it symbolises. It's a declaration to the world (and to the spiritual powers in the heavenly realms) that you belong to Christ and are a citizen of His Kingdom. If you deliberately choose not to be baptised, what message does that give? It is also disobedience to a clear command of Jesus. No wonder you feel as though you are drifting through life...

So I would say that your baptism is long overdue - and since it has to be done by a church, you will have to surrender some of your individualism (which will also be good for you).

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,029
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

10 hours ago, Lostandfound said:

Is baptism the answer? 

Hi. Lostandfound. Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums.

From your post I am able to discern two issues that need your attention:

1. The Lordship of Christ over you as an individual.
  2. The Headship of Christ over you as a member of the body of Christ.

If you have Christ as your Lord He will give you the desire to submit to His Headship over everyone in His body, and the desire to worship Him in a number of ways as follows: 

• Fellowship with God and other Christians.
  • Stewardship of the resources God gives. (Being the best manager you can)
  • Discipleship in studying God's Word, obeying His Will, and doing His work.
  • Evangelism through telling unsaved persons about your faith in Christ and His love for them. 
  • Leadership in taking responsibility for building up the body of Christ as He guides and provides. 
  • Intercession for all necessities.
  • Rest by relying on God's grace and not striving or being anxious.

Heb 10:23-25

(23)  Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
(24)  And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
(25)  Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  1

18 hours ago, Lostandfound said:

Is baptism the answer? 

Shalom,

Yes, baptism is vitally important, even if it doesn't seem to make sense with our earthly logic.

I can relate to your concern though.  The Church makes it difficult to baptised.  In general, they require you to attend their services, or a course, for several months first and there is an implication for you will keep attending their church after the baptism. 

I stuck with this though, in an Anglican Church.  Although their statement of faith differs from mine somewhat, I attended diligently until they were happy to baptise me.  I done so because I knew how important this act is to Yahweh.

But baptism doesn't need to be so tough!  Philip baptised the Ethiopian in the books of Acts as soon as they were near a body of water.  I know not everyone will agree, but my personal view is that if a believer seeks to be baptised, they should be baptised as soon as possible.  I have even baptised someone in a bath before.  That might not be the River Jordan, but as far as I'm concerned that was a beautiful event!  There was no waiting, delaying or months of discussion - just an honest faith, an honest desire and an honest act.

I'm non-denominational today, like you.  But I say to you, that go for water baptism in anyway you can and as soon as you can.  As well as this, and even above this, then seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit - if it hasn't happened for you already.  You may not notice a change after the water baptism (for the flesh) but you will after the Spirit baptism (for the spirit).

Surely you can also appreciate that, if you remain un-baptised, it will always be a nagging thought in the back of your mind.  That's never a good thing. :) 

Love & Shalom

• Loved it! 1