• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 5/14/2019 at 12:35 AM, thomas t said:

Hi Vlad, no I'm in favor of it.

What I'm against of is people telling others "repent!". If they do it in a good way, then ok. There are awesome things about repentance, indeed.

But please don't just shovel down the calls to repentance through other people's throats. I don't find the love in these. Before Jesus came to talk about hell... he performed many wonders out of love. His message was well balanced I'd say.

I would want the discussions with doubters here on Worthy to be loving and beautiful. "repent or burn forever!" can burst any discussion and to me, it seems to be ignorant behavior because the author of these messages doesn't make it clear that he emphathizes with the doubter. It often comes across as saying "burn you heathen! and I don't care!"

I don't like the style of these fire and brimstone messages.

Thomas

I told my 6th grade girls sunday school class that I never heard the church teach about repentance.  They responded "what do you mean.?  We have NEVER done anything wrong,"  I was aghast.  Most of these girls had asked Jesus into their hearts and had been baptized.  So I asked them if they had ever talked back to their parents, or lied, or stolen anything.  They got very quiet.  I told them that this is 10 commandment stuff. All they have to do is ask God to forgive them and make them more like Jesus.  Then thank Jesus for dying for them so they can have a new clean life in Him.   At this point a few fell away, but most became strong Christians now serving God.  We don't have to scream or condemn.  We just have to reason with people and speak on their level.  It can be done with kindness and concern.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

15 hours ago, Still Alive said:

I don't take much of genesis literally.

Many do not. Some Christian like denominations declare it to all be allegorical, a denial in fact of much of the Old Testament, declaring it as being  a kind fable, "something to tell the people".

I take it to be literally the accounting by God of God  and the reveal of God the Son from the very first written word as organized, for Jesus declared He believed it all. He quoted it in all that He spoke.  It was the Bible He read. He did not declare that He was to duplicate a fable, but instead that He would give one sign only, the sign  of Jonah. Evidently Jesus  believed Jonah to be real, or else He declared he was much like a fable.  Jesus who is God the creator of all that is created gives me no choice but to take literally  that which is declared  in the Bible He read and quoted extensively as though it is literal.

------

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.  All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.  In him was life, and the life was the light of men.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.  For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.

I have no choice, since the Holy Spirit turned me about to my own salvation, but to believe I am reading God's truth, not fantasies.  God the Holy Spirit had me start my own juorney in truth  by having me read Job. What a lot of fun to see parallels in my own life as I was turned about and about to go even deeper into some very harsh and extremely hard to endure times. He took me from denial of all of the Bible to embracing every word as His truth.

I have no need nor desire of any links to  explanations of possible fablism in the Bible. God has had me live too much of it's consequence so that I would recognize it's truth, and has shown me the truth of it from day one of His reveal of my Lord God and savior Jesus.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I agree, Neighbor.  It is pretty hard to deny Bible accounts when those same things are occurring in our own lives and in the lives of people we know well.   

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

In the end, it's God's Gospel of the Kingdom anyway, not our own. 

And the Gospel commands "men everywhere to repent" (beginning with the church).

Man-made 'gospels' are full of humanism and universalism, but are contrary to the Word Jesus' preached. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Most likely yes in my view. All who deliberately reject Christ are condemning themselves. Jesus makes it very clear. 

After spending considerable time perusing these posts , all I can say is.......poor Hitler.....lol...

• Haha 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  2

On 5/13/2019 at 3:25 AM, thomas t said:

Hi all.

Jesus told a doubter (Mt 11:4): the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them.

This is the opposite of any posts telling a doubter that they should repent or burn in hell.

So I will always distance myself from turn-or-burn posts.

Thomas

*It should read "repent or burn", but these words don't give a nice rhyme :P.

Edit: Mt 11:4 uses εὐαγγέλιον in Greek meaning literally "GOOD news" according to Britannica.com.

Did you ever read the Sermon on the mount, by Jesus Christ himself and his other teachings?   Jesus gave many repent or burn messages.

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

23 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

After spending considerable time perusing these posts , all I can say is.......poor Hitler.....lol...

It's probably safe to say we won't be seeing him in Heaven. God bless!

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  2

"And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee:  for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." Matthew 5:29.  

Jesus was a hell, fire and brimstone preacher.  Here he warned about how bad winding up in hell is.  Jesus warns about the need to repent and live right to avoid hell many times.  Read the book of Matthew straight through.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 minute ago, Firm Foundation said:

Jesus was a hell, fire and brimstone preacher. 

As posted ( and this is true ) by a member recently, Jesus did speak of Hell more often than He did of Heaven. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

5 minutes ago, Firm Foundation said:

Did you ever read the Sermon on the mount, by Jesus Christ himself and his other teachings?   Jesus gave many repent or burn messages.

Jesus later said that if we believed that He died for our sins and believe that He arose from the dead we would be saved......I’ll go with what He said after He accomplished His mission at the Cross.Grace is so much better than Law....it makes me want to please God out of love.....please take note, Grace doubters and Newbies....this is the reality of a Grace Believer......We are always being attacked by the unlearned that we are looking for a “ license to sin”. Don’t buy into that horse-hockey.The only “ license” I am interested is one that is so much better— a license to rest! I got it and it is fantastic.....if some of you only knew......