• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I see people searching the Bible to answer this question or that question. I do it myself. However, the purpose of the Bible isn't to be a substitute for the Lord in our lives, I don't believe. The purpose of the Bible is to introduce us to the Lord. So maybe sometimes the best way to find an answer to a question is to ask the Lord.

John said; "The purpose of the Bible is to introduce us to the Lord"
Only for those who haven't been introduced. Once you are A child of God, the bible
then becomes our daily guide/instructor, super charged by the Holy Spirit!

Psalm 119:11  "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."
Thy WORD (God's) have I hid, not thy BIBLE word.
A large amount of people are/were  saved without a bible.
(for several hundreds of  years)

In order for (for me) to listen/ask to God, looking for answers, I have to
refer to the word I have hid in my heart (mind/memory bank)
The vast majority of answers to my questions to God are found in His word (now in my data bank, heart).
Not feelings, not instinct, especially not
"my own understanding"

We need both, The Word, and the Holy Spirit!!

My spirit led me to share this;

Proverbs 11:14 - Where no counsel [is], the people fall: but in the multitude of counselors [there is] safety.

John 16:13
- Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Proverbs 27:9 - Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so [doth] the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 - All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

John 16:13 - Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
1 John 2:27  But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

2 Timothy 2:15  "Study" to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

There are a lot of "Christians" out there who do not know truth/scripture, and they all have a special "word from the God"
Most are on TV, the internet, and some forums.

1 John 4:1-5  "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

This is done with comparing the Word of God!
(that you have in your bible, and heart!!)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  860
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

There is early rain and latter rain, no hundreds of years for people saved without the bible, just as told instead..

John 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
James 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

Gods word is planted to not sin against Him, it is not reflection on His words and remembering them, it is the changed heart fruit remaining in them so they sin not against the Lord.The Word is God, is Spirit. to remain in us.

Psalm 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.12 Blessed art thou, O Lord: teach me thy statutes.13 With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.14 I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

John 1:33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
Luke 8:15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

The Spirit of truth is Jesus Christ in us and teaching us, it is His Spirit, of truth, that guides us to all truth, nothing to do with the words we learned in our heart, but the whole word in our heart, the word being God, it is the Word of God that abides in a man not parts of the scriptures but the whole..

John 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Ephesians 4:20 But ye have not so learned Christ;21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

1 John 2:14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

They have the whole word of God, the whole law of Christ written in their heart..

Romans 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

9 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I see people searching the Bible to answer this question or that question. I do it myself. However, the purpose of the Bible isn't to be a substitute for the Lord in our lives, I don't believe. The purpose of the Bible is to introduce us to the Lord. So maybe sometimes the best way to find an answer to a question is to ask the Lord.

The scriptures are not a dead history book (not that I believe that this is what you are saying). They are alive and have the power to transform us, sanctify us, and empower us to live lives that are pleasing to Him. In John 15:7 we are taught to live in Christ, and to let His words live in us. The word is the means by which we live in relationship with Him. Without the written word, it is impossible to understand how to do this. In our endeavor to let His words live in us, we will need the Holy Spirit to guide us. We can get into the word for the wrong reason or with the wrong motive, therefore substituting His word for something it was not designed by God for. But the Bible should never be looked at as a substitute for the Lord in our lives, but rather it is what connects us to Him. I've heard it said, and I believe it to be so, that the Bible is God's love letter to man.  What we need to focus on more than anything is to look beyond the written word in order to connect to the living Word so that we can bring glory and honor to God, and spiritual growth to our own lives.

Gary

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

8 minutes ago, bropro said:

The scriptures are not a dead history book (not that I believe that this is what you are saying). They are alive and have the power to transform us, sanctify us, and empower us to live lives that are pleasing to Him. In John 15:7 we are taught to live in Christ, and to let His words live in us. The word is the means by which we live in relationship with Him. Without the written word, it is impossible to understand how to do this. In our endeavor to let His words live in us, we will need the Holy Spirit to guide us. We can get into the word for the wrong reason or with the wrong motive, therefore substituting His word for something it was not designed by God for. But the Bible should never be looked at as a substitute for the Lord in our lives, but rather it is what connects us to Him. I've heard it said, and I believe it to be so, that the Bible is God's love letter to man.  What we need to focus on more than anything is to look beyond the written word in order to connect to the living Word so that we can bring glory and honor to God, and spiritual growth to our own lives.

Gary

The goal, I think, is to develop a personal relationship with the Lord. The Bible teaches us how.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

6 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

The goal, I think, is to develop a personal relationship with the Lord. The Bible teaches us how.

Amen johnthebaptist. You're right on. Have a blessed evening.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

Seee that you refuse not and obey, as our God is a consuming fire, and when you did all say, you are an unprofitable servant, you did what was your duty to do..

Hebrews 12:25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:29 For our God is a consuming fire.

Luke 17:But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

12 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I agree. Always ask God first. If God directs you to the Bible or a certain verse then....there you go. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Sower said:

A large amount of people are/were  saved without a bible.
(for several hundreds of  years)

2 hours ago, gordon7777 said:

There is early rain and latter rain, no hundreds of years for people saved without the bible, just as told instead..

How you doing, gordon.
This may interest you.   
"The 15th century's meteoric rise in printing output marks the period in which translated bibles were available and affordable to the common man.
Only after mankind were slowly brought out of the Dark Ages starting in with Johannes Guttenberg's inventing moveable printed type did it become feasible for the written word to be reproduced faster than a person could write a new copy. The first copy of the bible was printed in A.D. 1455.
As I tried to share, several hundred years ago, gordon.

5 hours ago, gordon7777 said:

Gods word is planted to not sin against Him, it is not reflection on His words and remembering them, it is the changed heart fruit remaining in them so they sin not against the Lord.The Word is God, is Spirit. to remain in us.

Yes, I agree, a changed heart will help to draw upon the strength of God, who is my strength.
But, (FOR ME)
I do what God's word say for us to do, I hide His word (remember/memorize) in my heart/mind/memory.
  This enables me to recognize His targets He shows me, so I have a greater ability to hit the mark, His target.
And sin (miss mark) less.
This also enables me to focus on abiding, in fellowship (
my heart condemns me not), in the true vine, Jesus.

• This is Worthy 1

8 hours ago, Sower said:

How you doing, gordon.
This may interest you.   
"The 15th century's meteoric rise in printing output marks the period in which translated bibles were available and affordable to the common man.
Only after mankind were slowly brought out of the Dark Ages starting in with Johannes Guttenberg's inventing moveable printed type did it become feasible for the written word to be reproduced faster than a person could write a new copy. The first copy of the bible was printed in A.D. 1455.
As I tried to share, several hundred years ago, gordon.

Yes, I agree, a changed heart will help to draw upon the strength of God, who is my strength.
But, (FOR ME)
I do what God's word say for us to do, I hide His word (remember/memorize) in my heart/mind/memory.
  This enables me to recognize His targets He shows me, so I have a greater ability to hit the mark, His target.
my heart condemns me not), in the true vine, Jesus.

Several hundred years ago men got bibles, but that did not mean they were saved. Catholics persecuted protestants to torture and death and protestants did the same, from the king down to every man below him. It is only your claim they were saved, you cannot back up your claim.

Proverbs 29:12 If a ruler hearken to lies, all his servants are wicked.

"Yes, I agree, a changed heart will help to draw upon the strength of God, who is my strength.
But, (FOR ME)
my heart condemns me not), in the true vine, Jesus."

It is wrong again, we have the Lord in us, not to help draw strength from the Lord, but the Lord is a very present help in time of need, He dwells in us and we in Him..

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

We are not enabled to hit targets the Lord shows us by memorizing His words, as people are ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth..

2 Timothy 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

We have no greater ability to hit the target, as the ability only comes when the Lord is in control of us, and we allow HIs Sirit to talk through us, not we ourselves..

Luke 21:12 But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.13 And it shall turn to you for a testimony.14 Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer:15 For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.

It makes no difference if a person sins less, if they abide in the doctrine of Christ they have both the Son and the Father, if they transgress they have neither the Son nor the Father and are antichrist..

2 John 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

Fellowship is when we abide in the light even as He is in the light..

To not abide in darkness but in the light.

Loving our brother means we abide in the light, with no occasion of stumbling in us.

If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another(not hating and sinning against another instead) and the blood of Christ cleans us from all sin.

He is our propitiation for our sins and those of the whole world, and we know Him if we keep His commandments, if we say we know Him and keep not His commandments we lie, no truth in us yet, but if we keep His word the love of God is perfected in us(He does not do imperfect love) If a man then walks in the day they stumble not(sin not against another) but if  man still walks in the night in darkness they stumble, because there is no light( no Christ in them) When your eye is single your self is full of light, when your eye is evil, you are full of only darkness, take heed that what you call light is not darkness, as your whole body needs to be full of light with no part of darkness(no hatred or sin ever against anyone as Christs way)..

John 12:46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.

1 John 2:10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

1 John 2:And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

John 11:Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Luke 11:34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.35 Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness.36 If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

This also is the condemnation..

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

3 John 1:11 Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,770
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

There is not anything mystical in The Written Scripture (God revealing Himself through and washing the mind of error)

1 Peter 1:23-25
23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,  24 because

"All flesh is as grass,
And all the glory of man as the flower of the grass.
The grass withers,
And its flower falls away, 
25 But the word of the Lord endures forever." 

Now this is the word which by the gospel was preached to you. 
NKJV