Being a gun owner

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

One of the basic rules of firearm safety: Never play Russian roulette with a semi-automatic pistol. 

• Thumbs Up 1

For me, the beginning of wisdom regarding guns and gun safety is this: View it as a tool rather than a gun. 

And all tools are dangerous in their own way. It's why, when whittling on a piece of wood, you move the blade away from you rather than toward you. It's why you use scrap wood to push stuff through a table saw. It's why you wear a seat belt. 

And some of the best safety advice regarding any tool is to be able to use it competently. It's why spinning doughnuts in the snow in the high school parking lot when I was 16 enabled me to control a drift at 70 mph on a freeway junction without over-correcting when I was 45.  Know your tool and know how to use it. And the greater the potential for the tool to damage, the more important this simple rule is. Guns are quite safe when operated correctly. Just like cars and power tools and hammers and steak knives

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,584
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

45 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Gun control is being a very good shot :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

Everyone thinks they are a very good shot. Few even practice, few have even taken their weapon out of it's store case. Yet all think, there now I am safer.  

The very best of our law enforcement personnel that shoot many thousands of rounds, and not in plinking mode, get killed  doing their work.

The idea that mom or dad or junior is a good shot is pretty much folly.

Shooting is a degrading skill one that quickly fades Unless one is shooting as to kill each week, not plinking at targets, they are not good shots.

But we are digressing. An about to be new mom is seeking  protection from her fears of life's adventures and threats.  I do pray for  her to concentrate on what God will have her to do, and I pray for many angels to come along side of her and her child.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Everyone thinks they are a very good shot. Few even practice, few have even taken their weapon out of it's store case. Yet all think, there now I am safer.  

The very best of our law enforcement personnel that shoot many thousands of rounds, and not in plinking mode, get killed  doing their work.

The idea that mom or dad or junior is a good shot is pretty much folly.

Shooting is a degrading skill one that quickly fades Unless one is shooting as to kill each week, not plinking at targets, they are not good shots.

But we are digressing. An about to be new mom is seeking  protection from her fears of life's adventures and threats.  I do pray for  her to concentrate on what God will have her to do, and I pray for many angels to come along side of her and her child.

That first sentence doesn't apply to me. ;)

I have five guns and never practice. I really don't even like guns. But I actually had a bead on a fox in my yard, bearing his chest at me, staring at my chickens, 40 feet away - and I was using a scope. And I missed. 

And I went skeet shooting with my shot gun and hit one out of 20 clay pigeons. It was a short barrel home defense gun, but still...

I honestly thought there was something wrong with my guns. Nope. Practice matters. And I need to do more of it. The only gun I seem to be fairly accurate with is my .380 that I keep in my car. That's because that is the one I'm most likely to use when I have no choice but to use it, so I've made myself competent with it.

BTW, I live in the sticks on 32 acres, which is why I have all these guns, each for a unique and different purpose.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

had a bead on a fox in my yard, bearing his chest at me, staring at my chickens, 40 feet away - and I was using a scope. And I missed. 

The problem as I see it is some foxes are two legged. They shoot back, and may often shoot first.

As to myself, gee to date I haven't had to shoot anyone, nor have I been shot at in about 62 years now. Have had rocks dropped on and through my windshield on the Harbor freeway. I really wanted to go kill that day, but am so glad I didn't go after some stupid young violent kid.

I do appreciate those many angels that have been hard at duty so that I may have survived my own errant ways and learned of my Lord and Savior Jesus, in whom my own security  is found today. My soul may be required of me even today, but I am secure.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

Ha, I just remembered that not too many years ago, the alarm went off at a family members house while they were with me at my home.  I suggested calling the sheriff, but no we had to go ourselves. Seems there was an issue with a rear garage door that may have set off the alarm.

Well that started the series of poor decisions under pressure. I still wanted to call the sheriff while on the way, but decided hey at this point we will arrive first, the sheriff come on scene and will think, we are the bad guys and we may get shot by the sheriff deputy, making for a bad day for all. So.... As I took the lead, not wanting a much younger family member loved by me to be the one to get it if there were bad guys afoot, I went through the gate first and turned at the back of the house, when I heard the pistol being chambered right behind me. All I thought is oh geesh don't shoot me by accident. The back garage door was open, and I said, over my shoulder do not shoot a dumb neighborhood kid that may have broken in. The garage door light was on, the door open, and everything was intact. It was a faulty door opener triggered unintentionally.

No harm no foul, but since then I have taken a different tact in my own thinking. Stuff doesn't matter call the sheriff, stuff doesn't matter do not defend it with my life.

I also carry some extra cash just in case I do get robbed as I don't want a thief unhappy because I didn't have some decent amount of money on me and then shoot me in anger over that . I would much rather say,  I have a few hundred here will that help you out? You can have it.

Home intruders- well that is a different story. I do buy into Jeff Quinn's theories on that. Hope practice makes perfect or near-a-bouts.

May God protect each of us from bad guys, and ourselves.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:45 PM, missmuffet said:

I don't own a gun, I have never owned a gun and I am not planning on owning a gun in the future. 

I have been raised around guns since I was a tee tiny tot .   And I learned much through all those years and in the marines .

YOU RIGHT , we need no gun . WE GOT JESUS and if our time is up its up .    Let us live by every word of the LORD and have no fear of death .

IF anyones time is not up ,   THEN GOD will not let it be up .  BUT IF IT IS UP ,  then no matter how much one defends themselves or family ,  IT WILL PROFIT NOTHING .

CLING TO JESUS and let us live by every word HE EVER SAID .   I do have guns , but they are for hunting as necessity for food .  

You are loved dear sister .       Hands up and praise the LORD .

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

16 hours ago, PinkBelt said:

Please show me how I was out of context or cherry picking. I posted the entire passages my highlighted statements came from.

I'll post one as an example using Peter's use of a sword in Gethsemane.  What follows below is what I consider a starting point for considering if something is universal truth and a command for all Christians.   This is a parallel passage which occurs in Matt 26, Mark 14, Luke 22, and John 18.  Here are some excerpts from these passages.

Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. 51 With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.  52 “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. 53 Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?”   Matt 26:5ob-54 NIV

46 The men seized Jesus and arrested him. 47 Then one of those standing near drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.  Mark 14:46-47 NIV

35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. 36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.” 38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.” “That’s enough!” he replied.  Luke 22:35-38 NIV

49 When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.  51 But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.  Luke 22:49-51 NIV

8 Jesus answered, “I told you that I am he. If you are looking for me, then let these men go.”9 This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: “I have not lost one of those you gave me.” 10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.) 11 Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”  John 18:8-11 NIV

A few observations on these passages which all describe the same event:

1. This occurs in a unique situation in human history where Jesus was going to die for the sins of the world.  It was as wrong for the disciples to try to prevent it by force as it was when Peter earlier had tried to talk Jesus out of it.  (e.g. 21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life. 22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!” 23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.” Matt 16:21-23 NIV along with Mark 8:33)

2. The individual sentence "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword" is more likely a general observation of life than an absolute statement of universal fact.  The sheer number of individuals who have used weapons for reasons of force and violence (including soldiers, law enforcement, or criminals) who have died of old age of natural causes argues more for this being a general observation that people who live by the sword are more likely to die by it.  The sentence "Put your sword back in its place" was a definite historical command to Peter in that place and time and not part of a teaching session addressing the disciples or crowds.   

3. Historically speaking, to some degree there was a messianic expectation that the anointed one (i.e. Christ or Messiah) was to be the king of Israel and bring freedom and liberation.   The OT passages dealing with anointing associate it with the high priest and various kings.  In Acts 1 (6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restorethe kingdom to Israel?” 7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:6-8 NIV), the disciples are still fixated on the restoration of the kingdom.   It's too long to get into here, but there is a pattern of Jesus' teachings in the gospels along with passages in Acts which show the gradual change of the disciples seeing God's Kingdom from being the restoration of Israel to the body of Christ being individuals in whom the Holy Spirit dwells.  A part of Jesus' teaching to them was that His kingdom was not to be established by force but by God's transformation and adoption of individuals.

4.  These are just some obvious observations off the top of my head.  I'm sure more can be made.

How do these passages apply to us?   I think that there are two aspects to these verses.  

There is first the historical aspect that Jesus was in the appointed place from the Father to die for the sins of the world and that his disciples did not understand that.  They still needed to learn that the Kingdom they were part of was not a restored physical kingdom of Israel with Jesus being a better version of King David but rather a spiritual kingdom of individuals changed in their hearts by God Himself.  The disciples' (or rather Peter's) use of force to try to prevent Jesus' appointed task was not right.  As the verses stand, this aspect alone can completely describe their meaning.  These verses are a clear historical narrative of events that happened.

There is a possible second aspect that there might be something universal to learn here that applies to all situations, but there might not be given the uniqueness of Jesus' atoning work.   This is where Christians' opinions on this passage start to diverge.  

Anyway, this is what I consider "context" to mean relative to any particular passage.  It includes finding all possible parallel passages, fitting them with other relevant ones, bringing in relevant historical context,  and figuring out which were situational things for particular times and places and which things are universal for all times and places.  I'm under no illusions that this post does little more than start to lay the groundwork for considering a wide number of scriptural passages which might address the issue of whether or not Christians should ever use weapons or force and what situations it is or is not something to be done.  Then there are related issues such as when Christians should ask for or allow weapons or force to be used on their behalf or when Christians should flee or remain in particular situations, if situations can be split into explicit persecution for the gospel versus generic violence or warfare.  All I've really done is try to organize a handful of related passages to figure out how to start studying them.  There are many more passages that have bearing on this that need to be considered in a similar manner.

I see two types of scriptural authority that Christians throughout the ages have used.  There is first God speaking to an individual (or localized group) through particular passages to give guidance and direction.  This is the Christian pondering in their heart if they should buy a gun and God brings Matt 26:52 to their heart to convict them not to.  This is God telling one Christian that this is not a path for them.  The second is God's universal truth and commands to all Christians in all times and places.  My opinion is such universal commands will be attested to in a wide range of passages and virtually impossible to miss.  For example, it is widely attested that Christians should bear witness to others of what God has done in their life.  (I'm distinguishing this as separate from organized evangelism of various forms and just referring to talking about our own lives.)  However, it is not widely attested as to what exactly worship in the early church looks like though it's clear it was a universal practice of the early church.  Few Christians ever fight and split from each other over how best to share their testimony but many argue about how best to worship and run a service and many choose which church to go to based on this.  Most churches have a list of verses "proving" why their way of worship is best.

Anyway, this is how I approach such an issue and various passages addressing such issues.  There's first discerning directly what God's path is for me and then there's determining how much of that is my path alone and how much is it a path for all Christians.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

August 8, 2016

Gun Safety

• Since 1903, the earliest year of data available, the per capita rate of gun accident deaths has decreased 94 percent, from 3.1 to 0.18 deaths per 100,000 population.[1] 
  • Over the last 20 years, annual numbers of gun accident deaths have decreased by more than half.[2] Concurrently, Americans have acquired over 150 million new guns and today own approximately 350 million guns, an all-time high.[3] 
  • Guns are involved in 0.4 percent of accidental deaths among the total population and 1.3 percent among children.[4] Today, the odds are more than a million to one against a child in the U.S. dying in a gun accident.
  • Comparing accidents to accidents alone, motor vehicle traffic accident deaths outnumber firearm accident deaths 57 to one, and those involving firearms have decreased at a faster rate than those involving motor vehicles.[8]

Current data – In 2014, the most recent year of data available, of 138,593 accidental deaths in the U.S., 38,718 (28%) were due to drug poisoning, 32,834 (24%) to motor vehicle traffic accidents (excluding pedal cyclists), 31,959 (23%) to falls, 6,580 (5%) to suffocation, 3,406 (2.5%) to drowning, 3,314 (2.4%) to non-drug poisoning, 2,701 (1.9%) to fire/flame, 2,156 (1.6%) to medical mistakes, 1,625 (1.2%) to natural/environmental factors, 902 (0.7%) involved pedal cycles, 586 (0.4%) involved guns, and 13,812 (10%) were due to other factors.

Of 3,899 accidental deaths among children, 1,178 (30%) were due to suffocation, 1,083 (28%) to motor vehicle traffic accidents (excluding pedal cyclists), 647 (17%) to drowning, 247 (6%) to fire/flame, 85 (2%) to natural/environmental factors, 68 (1.7%) to poisoning, 53 (1.4%) to falls, 50 (1.3%) involved guns, 48 (1.2%) involved pedal cycles, 39 (1.0%) involved medical mistakes, and 401 (10%) were due to other factors.

Any death of a child, or any person, is so very tragic. But to bring up child deaths by gun is playing the sympathy game, when nothing is mentioned about how many lives have been saved to to firearm protection. Or all the rest of accidental deaths.
If you are really serious and  want to ban that which causes
the most deaths of our children, or anybody, then you should eliminate the killer of people that's does the most harm.
We need to ban these below:

Drugs, drug poisoning
vehicles (your car)
old age, falling
pillows
water
non drug poisoning
matches
nature
pedal cycles
doctors  (and hospitals)
other
The above is the cause of about 98% of  'all accidental deaths' (US)

Guns are involved in 0.4 percent of accidental deaths among the total population

You can always move to a gun free country. (If there was one)
This is America. Still.....Praise God

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Wonder why they didn't just shoot you, once they "understood"?  ???  Maybe God is sovereign? That must be it. Three attempts at mugging wow. Need to get you a Muggers Magnet Tshirt.

Most muggers just want your money and mean you no real harm....   When I was working nights in the homeless part of Oklahoma City I have had many homeless people just walk up and demand I give them money.....   I always told them that sounded too much like a robbery to suit me but if they just asked I'd be glad to help them out a lot....   most weeks would set me back $100....   It's hard to say no to someone who's hungry.....    not so hard to someone who's holding a knife or something to hit you with. like the two I stopped.      I've never had anyone approach me carrying a gun in the open since I started carrying again...    I have had three cars slow down and force me off the road in my car  on a remote toll road.....     they didn't seem to want to barter about things when they saw my little shotgun laying on the dash....    When you come out of places that have a lot of coin operated machines carrying a 45 pound tool kit and a vacuum cleaner they think that you are carrying a bunch of silver coins...   We were not allowed to carry while at work though even our managers had weapons in their vehicles.....      S.E. Oklahoma can be kind of spooky at times.

• Thumbs Up 1