• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

10 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

What other one suggested. Take a self defense class. Learn what you need to learn. Dont put yourself into situations or areas where you are likely to get hurt. Be situationally aware of your surroundings. 

Im not trying to scare you, but this happens a bit too often ...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/year-boy-accidentally-shoots-kills-gun-grandmas-purse/story?id=63859180

And kids get to the high shelves you plan on keeping the gun. I read in the news incidents like that too.

The gun wont protect you either if you are hesitant, and it sounds like you are hesitant. 

Even if you are aware of our surroundings people can come into your home, like one poster said in his story.  people do watch and they'd definitely watch a lone woman with a baby--that's too easy of an opportunity.

I'll get over hesitation, id rather be safe with my baby I have to protect him-- 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

4 minutes ago, other one said:

Bad things happen to good people Ayin....  

You know Im well aware of this. 3 people in my family have been injured or killed by others. 2 were total strangers. One was not. 

Now that I think about it, a gun would not have saved them in any of the situations. 

21 minutes ago, other one said:

We had a large picture on top of it...   upright big old piano and he would crawn up on it somehow when we were not in the room and hide behind the picture.    He was one of those rock climbers when he was a teenager also...   could not watch him do that...

awww bless your son such a sweet memrory.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,116
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 minute ago, ayin jade said:

You know Im well aware of this. 3 people in my family have been injured or killed by others. 2 were total strangers. One was not. 

Now that I think about it, a gun would not have saved them in any of the situations. 

if someone is out to get you that is probably the case....    the sheriff deputies told me that if the guy I worked with came to my house in the middle of the night to shoot him on site....   He's unstable and drug abuser.   it's really kind of scary when he gets high for he is trained to kill by the military...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

@Figure of eighty    

The first thing to do is to forget every scene from TV or movies with a gun or weapon or self-defense that you have ever seen.  The majority are misleading or dead wrong.  If someone is attacking you, you probably won't have time to warn them off nor is it likely they'd change their mind.  About all you can do is immediately use your weapon as effectively as possible.  You probably won't have time to think or aim, you'll only have time to react in the way you have practiced.  Find a good instructor to learn from and then practice.  A big part of that will be learning what is legal and not legal in your location (which can vary city to city and state to state).   As some people say, every bullet you fire has a lawyer attached to it.  If you use a weapon incorrectly or in the wrong situation, you could find yourself a felon and in jail and separated from your son for a long time.  If it's a home break-in type of situation where you perhaps have some time to think, you still need to practice this and know what you should and shouldn't do.  There are lot more ways to use weapons ineffectively than there are to use them effectively.

Here are a serious set of questions you should consider.  How do you react in emergency and high stress situations?  Do you scream and panic?  Does your mind sharpen and focus? Does your mind go blank?  Do you get frantic and your mind starts racing and you freak out?   What happens to your physical coordination?  Do you fumble with things and freeze up, or would you have the fine motor skills to correctly operate a weapon?  Now consider this, if you have an emergency situation, are you capable of handling a deadly weapon without hurting yourself or your son?  If you were holding your son in one arm or had him in a stroller, could you properly draw a weapon with one hand and not accidentally discharge it while it is pointing at some part of your body or your son?   If you were in your house during a break-in while it is dark and you are half asleep, could you keep track of where a gun is pointing as you move around and realize everything a bullet might hit as it goes through walls into the next room?  or through a window or outside wall to your neighbor's house?  If you were half-asleep, would you clearly know the difference between an intruder and your parents or brother stumbling around the house while visiting for the night?  In a few years, if you are woken out of a sound sleep by a crashing dish in the kitchen, could you safely tell the difference between the shadowy figure of your 5 YO son standing on a chair in the kitchen trying to sneak a cookie from a tall cabinet from an intruder?  Would you tend to panic and shoot first or could you calmly identify your target before pulling the trigger?

Having said this, the most important part of personal security is situational awareness and common sense.  If you avoid sketchy situations and sketchy people and learn common sense ways of increasing your security, the odds of ever being in a situation where a weapon might prevent harm drop a lot.

If you live in a high crime area that scares you, consider moving somewhere else.  There are many nice places with a reasonable cost of living that are relatively crime free.  I've spent most of my life in medium to small size towns in the midwest US and rarely have felt unsafe.  We raised our kids for about 20 years in such a place and I never thought twice about my kids walking to school by themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, GandalfTheWise said:

@Figure of eighty    

The first thing to do is to forget every scene from TV or movies with a gun or weapon or self-defense that you have ever seen.  The majority are misleading or dead wrong.  If someone is attacking you, you probably won't have time to warn them off nor is it likely they'd change their mind.  About all you can do is immediately use your weapon as effectively as possible.  You probably won't have time to think or aim, you'll only have time to react in the way you have practiced.  Find a good instructor to learn from and then practice.  A big part of that will be learning what is legal and not legal in your location (which can vary city to city and state to state).   As some people say, every bullet you fire has a lawyer attached to it.  If you use a weapon incorrectly or in the wrong situation, you could find yourself a felon and in jail and separated from your son for a long time.  If it's a home break-in type of situation where you perhaps have some time to think, you still need to practice this and know what you should and shouldn't do.  There are lot more ways to use weapons ineffectively than there are to use them effectively.

Here are a serious set of questions you should consider.  How do you react in emergency and high stress situations?  Do you scream and panic?  Does your mind sharpen and focus? Does your mind go blank?  Do you get frantic and your mind starts racing and you freak out?   What happens to your physical coordination?  Do you fumble with things and freeze up, or would you have the fine motor skills to correctly operate a weapon?  Now consider this, if you have an emergency situation, are you capable of handling a deadly weapon without hurting yourself or your son?  If you were holding your son in one arm or had him in a stroller, could you properly draw a weapon with one hand and not accidentally discharge it while it is pointing at some part of your body or your son?   If you were in your house during a break-in while it is dark and you are half asleep, could you keep track of where a gun is pointing as you move around and realize everything a bullet might hit as it goes through walls into the next room?  or through a window or outside wall to your neighbor's house?  If you were half-asleep, would you clearly know the difference between an intruder and your parents or brother stumbling around the house while visiting for the night?  In a few years, if you are woken out of a sound sleep by a crashing dish in the kitchen, could you safely tell the difference between the shadowy figure of your 5 YO son standing on a chair in the kitchen trying to sneak a cookie from a tall cabinet from an intruder?  Would you tend to panic and shoot first or could you calmly identify your target before pulling the trigger?

Having said this, the most important part of personal security is situational awareness and common sense.  If you avoid sketchy situations and sketchy people and learn common sense ways of increasing your security, the odds of ever being in a situation where a weapon might prevent harm drop a lot.

If you live in a high crime area that scares you, consider moving somewhere else.  There are many nice places with a reasonable cost of living that are relatively crime free.  I've spent most of my life in medium to small size towns in the midwest US and rarely have felt unsafe.  We raised our kids for about 20 years in such a place and I never thought twice about my kids walking to school by themselves.

I feel like avoiding sketchy paces and people is just one part--what about people that break in and enter-- and what about people that do get frantic and freeze up/ what protection should they have?

2 hours ago, PinkBelt said:

In my view Christians should not own guns.

Why?

Guest PinkBelt
1 hour ago, Figure of eighty said:

Why?

Thou shall not kill.

Aside from that the vast majority of gun deaths are by family members and mis-identification.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

1 hour ago, Figure of eighty said:

I feel like avoiding sketchy paces and people is just one part--what about people that break in and enter-- and what about people that do get frantic and freeze up/ what protection should they have?

Figure, as a soldier, it is TRAINING that prevents freezup :)  Don't listen  to the  ones who tell you you're "stuck" if you happen to be one who freezes.  If you have practiced and practiced well, you will react out of your training, reliably and quickly.  You can train yourself out  of limiting factors.  And of course getting professional input is important.  It does take some effort and dedication (and when it  comes to competence with firearms there's an expense to consider as well...ammo is expensive and you  need to go through a lot of it in both  training and maintaining the training.  Skills are perishable and  once sharp need regular honing to remain sharp).

I  happen to be one who grew up around guns, and had a wise father who emphasized real safety and the sober responsibility of wielding a tool capable of taking life  quickly.

I think it's important we realize guns will never be our security, He  is.  But there are those among us He has instructed to  own guns.  I understand they  are not and never will be my  true security.  But I also understand exactly why I've been instructed to remain armed....it's not for my sake either.

• Thumbs Up 2