Figure of eighty

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

With a newbotn i just go back and forth if i should work after a month or just stay home with baby and care for him since daycare is expensive.

Its just me..my mom n dad both work, only choice is grandma but 200 a wk is a lot. 

With staying at home.. Id love to do this but im afraid just beimg im the house with baby would bring on ppd..

I really dont know. Its a struggle being a single parent.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Wait, probably. A baby needs care and attention, and if nobody else is around to babysit, then it falls to you. Wait until the baby is either old enough or you've got someone who could babysit while you work.

If you're worried about ppd, find something to do while the baby naps that still keeps you close by and alert. Reading the Bible, crossword puzzles, surfing the web (not games though, nothing too distracting that you can't easily step away from), anything close by. Working out can also have benefits on one's mental well-being, though with being a mother, I wouldn't be surprised if that just sounded exhausting and tiresome.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.77
  • Days Won:  21

I'd say stay home for at least a few months if you can - that will give you time to think over your decision and feel confident you're making the right choice for you and baby. You could even look into doing some part time work from home if finances are a concern. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  513
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,192
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

@Figure of eighty

My best advice is something you already know inwardly. It is to keep your heart right before God and trust His love for you. For He sees your life and loves you dearly and He knows the thoughts He has toward you, “to give you a future and a hope.”

Will be standing with you before His Throne. 

Don't lose your confidence in His love for you, for that faith will see you through all things. 

Blessings in Christ, Not me    

Edited by Not me
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

2 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

With a newbotn i just go back and forth if i should work after a month or just stay home with baby and care for him since daycare is expensive.

Its just me..my mom n dad both work, only choice is grandma but 200 a wk is a lot. 

With staying at home.. Id love to do this but im afraid just beimg im the house with baby would bring on ppd..

I really dont know. Its a struggle being a single parent.

Have you prayed about your struggles and how you feel about the whole situation.  Perhaps God's plans for you are totally different than you think?  Trust in Him.

Edited by mlbrokish

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Figure of eighty said:

Before taking any job, run the numbers so you really know what you are getting into.

At minimum wage of $7.25/hr, a 40 hour week gives $290/wk.  Take away fica and taxes and other deductions this is probably under $250/week.  After childcare, this means you'd be clearing maybe $50/week.  Depending on driving distance and time as well as whether lunch hours are paid or unpaid, you might be putting in 45 to 50 hours per week of job related time instead of just 40.  You'd be lucky to clear $1/hour for your time and efforts.

A $10/hr job at 40 hours/week is $400/week.  Take away various deductions and it's down to $350/week.   This means for 40 hours per week you are clearing perhaps $150 after childcare.  This is less than $4/hour take home. 

A $15/hr job at 40 hours/weeks is $600/week.  After basic deductions, it'll probably around $500/week or about $300 after childcare.  This works out to be around $7 or $8 per hour.

Another way to look at this is $200/wk  times 50 weeks per year (a typical FT job with 2 weeks of vacation) this is $10,000/year going to child care.

Depending on the job, benefits offered, deductions for taxes and benefits, etc., the amount of take home pay can drop quite a bit from gross pay.  Also consider other costs such as  gas, owning a car, bus tickets, parking, any clothing or shoes you must buy, and other such things.  Consider too any benefits you can get which are a plus but will reduce take home pay.  Also consider the extra hours and costs involved in commuting, any unpaid time at work (e.g. eating) , and other things like that.  Add in necessary expenses such as unexpected car repairs.   These are some basic things everyone should consider when looking at the relative costs and benefits of a particular job.  

Years ago, my wife wanted to work part-time when the kids were all in school.  She thought about a minimum wage job at the gas station a couple blocks away.  I ran the numbers for her deductions along with the taxes (which would be at my rate because we were married filing jointly) and she'd have been clearing a few bucks per hour.  In other words, clearing maybe $50 bucks a week for 25 hours.  Instead, she started a painting business, bid the jobs so her return on total time AFTER taxes and expenses would be around $15 to $20/hour.  Instead of clearing $50/week for 25 hours of work, she could clear closer to $400 to $500/week.  In addition, she had a flexible schedule and could turn down jobs she didn't like.   She'd usually take a few big jobs per month.

I'll repeat the first line of this post.  Before taking any job, run the numbers so you really know what you are getting into.  

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Before taking any job, run the numbers so you really know what you are getting into.

At minimum wage of $7.25/hr, a 40 hour week gives $290/wk.  Take away fica and taxes and other deductions this is probably under $250/week.  After childcare, this means you'd be clearing maybe $50/week.  Depending on driving distance and time as well as whether lunch hours are paid or unpaid, you might be putting in 45 to 50 hours per week of job related time instead of just 40.  You'd be lucky to clear $1/hour for your time and efforts.

A $10/hr job at 40 hours/week is $400/week.  Take away various deductions and it's down to $350/week.   This means for 40 hours per week you are clearing perhaps $150 after childcare.  This is less than $4/hour take home. 

A $15/hr job at 40 hours/weeks is $600/week.  After basic deductions, it'll probably around $500/week or about $300 after childcare.  This works out to be around $7 or $8 per hour.

Another way to look at this is $200/wk  times 50 weeks per year (a typical FT job with 2 weeks of vacation) this is $10,000/year going to child care.

Depending on the job, benefits offered, deductions for taxes and benefits, etc., the amount of take home pay can drop quite a bit from gross pay.  Also consider other costs such as  gas, owning a car, bus tickets, parking, any clothing or shoes you must buy, and other such things.  Consider too any benefits you can get which are a plus but will reduce take home pay.  Also consider the extra hours and costs involved in commuting, any unpaid time at work (e.g. eating) , and other things like that.  Add in necessary expenses such as unexpected car repairs.   These are some basic things everyone should consider when looking at the relative costs and benefits of a particular job.  

Years ago, my wife wanted to work part-time when the kids were all in school.  She thought about a minimum wage job at the gas station a couple blocks away.  I ran the numbers for her deductions along with the taxes (which would be at my rate because we were married filing jointly) and she'd have been clearing a few bucks per hour.  In other words, clearing maybe $50 bucks a week for 25 hours.  Instead, she started a painting business, bid the jobs so her return on total time AFTER taxes and expenses would be around $15 to $20/hour.  Instead of clearing $50/week for 25 hours of work, she could clear closer to $400 to $500/week.  In addition, she had a flexible schedule and could turn down jobs she didn't like.   She'd usually take a few big jobs per month.

I'll repeat the first line of this post.  Before taking any job, run the numbers so you really know what you are getting into.  

yes I do budget and I use a website called suburban tax calculator for my state s I know what i bring in after taxes.  Im gonna try to get my grandma to reason with me and give her 150 instead of 200 or maybe 140 so i have more to work with-- since im with my mom I'll just be paying for my car insurance and probably my phone. So I'm sure I could save a bit but not much-- If I got a 15/hour job..id make around 1500 after taxes. after to paying my grandma that'd leave me with 794, after my insurance --494( not even including gas) :/  (ill budget out 90) so thats 400 in savings

I just need a savings because I'm about to be 28 soon and by my next birthday I wanted to move out, I need to, I'm old. So by next year if I can find a job in 2 months paying 15 an hour-- Id have 4k saved, thats alot better than having nothing saved up. You know? 

I'm thinking of doing tanf to help out so I save more so hopefully that helps, as for a side gig my only talent is art like your wife's however I'm not good enough to where I can sell my work or do commissions but again having 4k saved atleast sounds pretty decent to me and I need to have a svings for my me and my baby.

1 hour ago, mlbrokish said:

Have you prayed about your struggles and how you feel about the whole situation.  Perhaps God's plans for you are totally different than you think?  Trust in Him.

Totally different how? 

I pray but I don't hear much so i can only do the best I can, what's practical. Also Im not giving my baby away for adoption. Id rather struggle with my baby then give him up--he's very much wanted. Then he wont be small forever which will really help me to be able  work like I want.. its just now that will be hard.

Edited by Figure of eighty

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

19 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

Totally different how? 

I pray but I don't hear much so i can only do the best I can, what's practical. Also Im not giving my baby away for adoption. Id rather struggle with my baby then give him up--he's very much wanted. Then he wont be small forever which will really help me to be able  work like I want.. its just now that will be hard.

Ahh. My mom was forced by the state to give me up and I have not really recovered.

You look after baby and God will look after you. Well done for that decision!!

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

as for a side gig my only talent is art like your wife's however I'm not good enough to where I can sell my work or do commissions

To clarify, my wife was mostly doing interior house painting.  She did a few murals and the like and was good at faux finishes and decorative work.  However, most of the jobs were single color on the walls and ceiling with a bit of trim type of jobs.