• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Sister you just throw those hands up and PRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAISE the HOLY LORD .     Frankly I care less what mr blind thinks of ya ,  YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU .

• Loved it! 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

8 hours ago, turtletwo said:

My personal experience in my walk with God has always been to not veer too far to the left or to the right.

This includes prayer. I have seen both extremes.

I have seen people being too  familiar with the Lord. For example: calling Jesus "my home boy." I don't subscribe to nor advocate that. It is in bad taste and FAR from the way those in the Bible who belonged to the Lord treated Him.

On the same token, I have seen fear inhibiting prayer (not the 'proper respect type of fear' but the 'truly scared of God  fear' where Christians are terrified of Him.)

Though I fully believe we must always be reverent towards God, I also believe we should consider Him our best friend and pray accordingly. Telling Him our deepest, darkest secrets (after all, He already knows. :D) He will never fail or betray us, as mere mortals will to one degree or another. God is perfect and perfectly caring.

Not using spiritual (but man-made) terminology (:rolleyes:as if we could impress God. lol) Not religious sounding (lengthy) prayers like the Pharisees engaged in. Rather, speaking to Him from the heart..."keeping it real."

David struck a balance in his prayer life. He cried out to God about injustice and hardships. Yet He would go on in the next breath to praise Him. The Psalms are replete with this.

Us praying in faith is important to God.

By this I mean we come to Him with earnest expectation that He really does hear us. "For the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayers; but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” (1 Peter 3:12)

“But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” (Hebrews 11:6)

Faith will help us to approach Him... not cowering and timid, but trustingly.

:)Seeing Him as our loving heavenly Father.:emot-heartbeat:

"So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most." (Hebrews 4:16)

Prayer is often thought of as what we can receive from God. But we need to couple it with what can we give to Him. Because we love Him. 

One thing He would desire of us is that we bring Him hearts filled with gratitude. The giving of thanks should always be a part of our prayers.

Paul taught us to be in constant prayer (1 Thess 5:17). I suppose it would have been good advice, even if Paul hadn't mentioned it. Anyway, if we are in constant prayer, we get to know the Lord, even if we can never fully understand him. He is the boss, and we must remember that, but we will develop an affection towards him, as he has for us. Right?

• Praise God! 2

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  352
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/21/1964

On 9/23/2019 at 10:06 AM, turtletwo said:

My personal experience in my walk with God has always been to not veer too far to the left or to the right.

This includes prayer. I have seen both extremes.

I have seen people being too  familiar with the Lord. For example: calling Jesus "my home boy." I don't subscribe to nor advocate that. It is in bad taste and FAR from the way those in the Bible who belonged to the Lord treated Him.

On the same token, I have seen fear inhibiting prayer (not the 'proper respect type of fear' but the 'truly scared of God  fear' where Christians are terrified of Him.)

Though I fully believe we must always be reverent towards God, I also believe we should consider Him our best friend and pray accordingly. Telling Him our deepest, darkest secrets (after all, He already knows. :D) He will never fail or betray us, as mere mortals will to one degree or another. God is perfect and perfectly caring.

Not using spiritual (but man-made) terminology (:rolleyes:as if we could impress God. lol) Not religious sounding (lengthy) prayers like the Pharisees engaged in. Rather, speaking to Him from the heart..."keeping it real."

David struck a balance in his prayer life. He cried out to God about injustice and hardships. Yet He would go on in the next breath to praise Him. The Psalms are replete with this.

Us praying in faith is important to God.

By this I mean we come to Him with earnest expectation that He really does hear us. "For the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayers; but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” (1 Peter 3:12)

“But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” (Hebrews 11:6)

Faith will help us to approach Him... not cowering and timid, but trustingly.

:)Seeing Him as our loving heavenly Father.:emot-heartbeat:

"So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most." (Hebrews 4:16)

Prayer is often thought of as what we can receive from God. But we need to couple it with what can we give to Him. Because we love Him. 

One thing He would desire of us is that we bring Him hearts filled with gratitude. The giving of thanks should always be a part of our prayers.1350748206_ineverythinggivethankspinkflowers.jpg.8221fa8b701f140cb5028d9ffea71fc4.jpg

I just read this. I agree whole heartedly. You are a wise Turtle! I love you dearly!

• Loved it! 1