• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

23 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Is God telling us that revenge is not our business?

Yes, He is. Here are a few verses to confirm this. 

Hebrews 10:30 30For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the LORD. And again, The LORD shall judge his people.

Romans 12:17-21 17Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 18If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. 19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the LORD. 20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Deuteronomy 32:35 35To me belongeth vengeance and recompence; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.

1 Peter 3:9 9Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

23 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Genesis chapter 4. Verse 15. 

Uf anyone kills Cain, the murderer, their punishment shall be sevenfold. 

Is God telling us that revenge is not our business? What is He saying about crime and punishment? 

Romans 12:19

Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

God instituted civil government to deal with crime and punishment (Rom 13:1-7). Paul says civil governments are God's ministers (Rom 13:6). That doesn't mean every government is godly or holy. Certainly, there are many governments that are or were cruel and ungodly. However, God exercises His will through civil government.

The Justified Sinner

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  157
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

FORGIVE AND FORGET AMEN

Edited by DAVID5

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

12 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Yes, He is. Here are a few verses to confirm this. 

Hebrews 10:30 30For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the LORD. And again, The LORD shall judge his people.

Romans 12:17-21 17Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 18If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. 19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the LORD. 20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Deuteronomy 32:35 35To me belongeth vengeance and recompence; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.

1 Peter 3:9 9Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.

“ heap coals of fire on his head”........ better known in some circles as “ kill them with kindness”...... gets  the job done and allows you to have fun at the same time......it works, trust me......

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

@Melinda12  You asked how the rules about revenge relate to government.  Do you have thoughts on the subject?

Another section pertinent to discussion of govenment is 1 Corinthians 6:1-11  (although, as always, the larger context is important).  In this section Paul teaches the church to not take things that have been done against each other to the a court of law formed outside the church (the real church). 

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

On 10/1/2019 at 2:43 PM, lftc said:

As the 10 commandments are the prelude and repeated througout the other 600+ commandments, you are correct.

Too bad no authority on earth is anywhere close to these.  Begs the question as to the origin of their authority.  But that is too disruptive of a topic.

They start with God, which gives a clue as to there origin.

They are found in the Bible,which tells us where they are from.

If you think otherwise please supple your evidence.

15 hours ago, Who me said:

They start with God, which gives a clue as to there origin.

They are found in the Bible,which tells us where they are from.

If you think otherwise please supple your evidence.

Dear Mr Who Me,

once again I fear my writing was too succinct and I assumed too much connectivity.

When I wrote "Too bad no authority on earth is anywhere close to these.  Begs the question as to the origin of their authority."  The word "authority" in the second sentence refers to the same word in the first sentence.  To phrase it differently and hopefully communicate more completely: 

Allow me to define a word "Rialtas" as any group on earth (such as civil governments) that defines and enforces rules.  After this when I use the term Rialtas i am referring to those groups.  Forgive, please, the loose definition.
I was observing that no Rialtas has rules (laws) that largely resemble the rules God gave in the 600+ commandmends which include the 10 commandments.  Rialtas don't even have laws including most of those first 10 Commandments.  Since these Rialtas are clearly NOT using the rules God gave, one wonders where Rialtas got their rules.

I am assuming that you are not saying that the current governments of the world have laws that comply with the Bible. So what that means is that I am asking basically the same things as you, with the exception that my question is leading while yours was a direct question to me.

If you are saying that the current governments of the world comply with the Bible, then I will revert to my previous statement that I fear it is too disruptive of a topic.  And way too long to start showing where the laws of various countries do not follow even the principles laid out in the Laws of Moses.

Does that make sense to you Who Me?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  07/05/1968

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:57 PM, JustPassingThru said:

...basis of the Judeo-Christian morals and ethics of the "experiment" of establishing a nation called the United States of America, ...sadly we see the more these morals and ethics are erased and overlooked in the governing laws of the "experiment" we see the nation rapidly sliding into the debauchery of the rest of the world! 

Sociologically, that's been attributed to the decline of the middle class. The wealthy and the poor have historically demonstrated less morality, but the middle class was the controlling group for morality in America. They attended church and balanced prosperity with charity. They were the demographic corporations, TV and radio aimed to please.