mlbrokish

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,492
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

As others have said, but stated a little differently: The Lord loves us and knows what's best for us. We're not only commanded to forgive others for their transgressions for spiritual reasons, and so we're forgiven also for our own transgressions. There's also an immediate physical affect for forgiveness; we can not have full peace and joy in our hearts harboring hate, revenge, retribution and ill will in our hearts. Pent up hate and ill will effects our emotional being, physical health , as well as our personal relationship and witnessing for the Lord. No doubt, some things take longer than others for forgiveness and we need to work it out. After all, what good comes out of hate, what does darkness share with light?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

It is not easy to forgive someone who has hurt you. Jesus can forget but humans can't forget. It is easier to forgive if someone has apologized. Forgiveness doesn't happen overnight. We need to keep the person in prayer and ask God to give us strength to forgive. It is healing to forgive and you will not be carrying around all the anger and bitterness. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

Corrie Ten Boom, was a Christian woman, and a Holocaust survivor.

After the end of WW II, Corrie would reach out to others in many places with the love and forgiveness that only God can provide.
After one of the meetings she was approached by a SS Nazi Guard, one of the worst in the Nazi Camp "Ravensbruck" that she had been in. He told Corrie Ten Boom, he had accepted Christ. He then held out his hand, asking for her forgiveness.

A portion from her book, "Tramp for the Lord."
Here, she had just finished speaking, letting folks know: (Emphasis mine)

"...When we confess our sins, I said, "God cast them into the deepest ocean, gone forever. And even though I cannot find a Scripture for it, I believe God then places a sign out there that says, NO FISHING ALLOWED."

(After the meeting upon folks leaving, she had this to say:)

"And that's when I saw him, working his way forward against the others. One moment I saw the overcoat, and the brown hag; the next, a blue uniform and a visored cap with its skull and crossbones. It came back with a rush: the huge room with its harsh overhead lights; the pathetic pile of dresses and shoes in the center of the floor; the shame of walking naked past this man."

"The place was Ravensbruck and the man who was making his way forward had been a guard, one of the most cruel guards. Now he was in front of me, hand thrust out: "A fine message, Fraulein! How good it is to know that, as you say, all our sins are at the bottom of the sea!" And I, who had spoken so glibly of forgiveness, fumbled in my pocketbook rather than take that hand. He would not remember me of course, how could he remember one prisoner among those thousands of women? But I remembered him and the leathered crop swinging from his belt. I was face to face-to-face with one of my captors and my blood seemed to freeze. "You mentioned Ravensbruck in your talk, "he was saying. "I was a guard there." No he did not remember me. "But since that time," he went on, " I have become a Christian. I know that God has forgiven me for the cruel things I did there, but I would like to hear it from your lips as well. Fraulein," again the hand came out, "will you forgive me?"

And I stood there, I whose sins had again and again to be forgiven, and could not forgive. Betsie (Corrie's sister) had died in that place, could he erase her slow terrible death simply for the asking?

...The message that God forgives has a prior condition: that we forgive those who have injured us. "If you do not forgive men their trespasses, "Jesus says, "neither will your Father in heaven for your trespasses."

...And still I stood there with the coldness clutching my heart. But forgiveness is not an emotion, I knew that too. Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart. "Jesus, help me!" I prayed silently. "I can lift my hand. I can do that much. You supply the feeling." And so woodenly, mechanical, I thrust my hand into the one stretched our to me. And as I did, and incredible thing took place. The current started in my shoulder, raced down my arm, sprang into our joined hands. And thin this healing warmth seemed to flood my whole being, bringing tears to my eyes.
"I forgive you, brother!" I cried. "With all my heart."
For a long moment we grasped each other's hands, the former guard and the former prisoner. I had never know God's love so intensely as I did then."

Corrie Ten Boom's "Tramp for the Lord."
Chapter 7 "Love your Enemy"

Good movie for those that may have not have seen it: "The Hiding Place."
And 3 books by Corrie Ten Boom "The Hiding Place," Tramp for the Lord," Jesus is Victor."

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  2

17 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

“ Forgive others as God has ALREADY forgiven you in Christ Jesus” Your forgiveness is in no way tied to how you forgive others— IF you are in the Body Of Christ .....remember the Cross ? It changed everything...

That is not what Jesus said.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

15 hours ago, mlbrokish said:

I read Luke 17:3-4.  I know God only forgives with repentance.

While I understand about forgiving those who have sinned against me by reprimanding their wrongdoing, them repenting, and then granting forgiveness, I am also talking about me forgiving those who have sinned against me but they are not aware of it, and may not be able to be told of it. 

For instance, I was raped as a teen, but never reported and also never confronted the guy.  Years later, even though I unsuccessfully tried to find him, I had to come to realize that I must hand it over to God to handle it. I found I could forgive him of his actions so that I could stop carrying the pain with me.

I am sorry for your experience as a teenager.

The point I'm making is you do not forgive your attacker.

All you are required to do is what you have done and that is hand him, the situation, your memories and feelings over to God.

God does not expect us to cause serious mental harm by forgiving the unforgiverable. He will deal with those and our feelings etc if we will let him.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

4 hours ago, Who me said:

I am sorry for your experience as a teenager.

The point I'm making is you do not forgive your attacker.

All you are required to do is what you have done and that is hand him, the situation, your memories and feelings over to God.

God does not expect us to cause serious mental harm by forgiving the unforgiverable. He will deal with those and our feelings etc if we will let him.

Thank you for your explanation.  I see your point.  I may just be over-thinking things.