• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

Some people seem to think God does everything for us. We just sit back and enjoy.  

I wonder, though, if God isn’t teaching us to take care of ourselves, to some degree. One of the things he teaches us is not to sin, because sin gets us into trouble.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

We read in scripture that our spirit is in conflict with our flesh if we belong to Jesus, as the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.  I believe that we are to learn from our past mistakes and do our best not to commit the same sins again.  God is there to help us, sometimes to give us the strength to work through an issue, others to be there to pick us up when we fall.  There is a relationship between Him and us, a relationship that goes two ways.  He teaches, we accept and try to apply the lessons to our lives.  He knows will are not perfect and will fail here and there, but the lessons continue as does our walk in Him. 

If God was to do everything for us, why then do we have this life?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

31 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Some people seem to think God does everything for us. We just sit back and enjoy.  

I wonder, though, if God isn’t teaching us to take care of ourselves, to some degree. One of the things he teaches us is not to sin, because sin gets us into trouble.

God guides and directs our steps. He opens and closes doors that he wants us to go through or wants us to avoid. He gives us common sense and He hopes we use it. God has given us the Holy Spirit to always be with us. 

download.jpg.fc3cb2542300194ff3b264792a1c56de.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

Johnthebaptist,

I’m of the mindset that God doesn’t want us to sit passively by that's why He gave us a mind capable of making choices.  He wants us to participate in decision making not just sitting back  thinking since He is in control of our circumstances what's the point of doing anything. We are to use the information given to us through the reading of the Word, wisdom/learnings gained from trials and even conflict with others to make decisions for living. We know that God is in control of our circumstances, but we listen to the leading of the Holy Spirit and pray to God for guidance in all things. Below is a verse I like, because it is a statement requiring an active part on our end. Just like our salvation is an action on our part to request forgiveness of our sins.

• Matthew 6:33, “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need”   
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

I can't face a single day without the Lord. He's the reason why I'm alive and makes it possible for me to navigate the day --- but I keep hearing how this isn't the case. Our Father directs my paths and provides me with everything I need … surely I want for nothing, but surely I must be mistaken because I'm a washed-up loser who can't provide a single thing for his own self. Not food … not a roof over my head … nor even love. I hated myself for all of my life and thought I was a mistake who should have never been born.

And yet I come to Worthy every day and read about how I shouldn't exist, how I shouldn't be alive, and how God never loved me.  

The lesson I learned is that repentance of sin brings peace of mind, yet I hear people tell me I'm wrong. Go figure.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

10 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

And yet I come to Worthy every day and read about how I shouldn't exist, how I shouldn't be alive, and how God never loved me.

@DustyRoad No way is that true!!

I am soooo glad that 1) God created you and 2) sustained you.

In the short time I have known you I have been truly blessed in reading your posts. And I have personally been a recipient of your kindness.

Remember- turtle loves you and Jesus loves you...very much. :emot-hug:

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

6 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

I'm sorry. Today is exceedingly difficult to bear with.

:( I will be praying for you, brother. If there is anything else I can do to help, please let me know.

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5,608
  • Content Per Day:  2.83
  • Days Won:  33

@DustyRoad

I am praying for you brother. I am also glad that you are here. Jesus loves you and no one is here by mistake. He loves you and we love you too.

God sure does love you. He planned you before He created creation. You are His child and loves you sooooooooo much. I pray right now that you feel the love and comfort of Jesus. One day you will be with Jesus forever in eternity and all the pain and hurt you have experienced in this life will be gone forever.

God bless you,

Becky.

2 hours ago, DustyRoad said:

God bless you both. During times like these perseverance is the watchword. The topic of this thread touches upon the reason why I'm living in the first place: the life I have isn't my own. This belongs to my Redeemer instead. He's the one who gave it to me!

Serving God instead of sin does indeed impart peace of mind. How is this wrong? Repentance is a turning away from this flesh so that we might cling to the Lord but this isn't sufficient for the task, @johnthebaptist. Only Jesus Christ makes it possible for us to be liberated from the power of sin while we continue to toil in this world.

I'm not sure why you characterize some as "sitting back and enjoying it." Are you the only one who toiled and suffered? Those who receive their portion are accountable to the Lord, not to man.

Who are "some people?"     

"Some people" are people who have argued that it is not necessary to repent. I have forgotten their names.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

As James said, faith without works is dead. I believe there should be some sort of corresponding action to what we believe God for. I believe God will guide me today and as I pull out of my driveway to drive to work,  He does. I ask Him to guide my conversations at work, and as I talk, He does. I believe we are to be like a "moving car". It's easier for the Lord to steer us when in motion then one who is "parked" waiting for God to do something and then they'll act.