dhchristian

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all, if this is better in the controversial topics, feel free to move it there. There is a big divide occurring in the SBC over  women in the pulpit, but it is more than just that. I will not name names here, but you can look it up if you like, One of the woman is closely associated with President Trump. My Question is what are your thoughts on women in the Pulpit, and what Scripture says about this? I am starting this because I feel this is a political attack that is being orchestrated for political purposes to divide the vote. Do You see this or not?

The point of this post is a preemptive strike against such a move, that when these things come to the forefront they will not surprise you, and you will know how to respond to those who have questions.  

Edited by dhchristian

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

women in the pulpit

Back in the days of the Jesus People Movement, there were some of the mentioned above. Where they were, men in eldership always had been standing in authority and approval. This was long before Joyce Meyer and Melissa Scott. These are not televangelists either, they preach and teach to the body of Christ.

While I'm no fan of either, I do not have a problem if being backed by elders. Neither Meyer or Scott are from last checking their references. However, in my opinion, women in the pulpit can be just as Holy Spirit inspired as any man. Is is not the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead? Romans 8:11 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.53

Never mind ?

Edited by ReneeIW
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.76
  • Days Won:  21

I'm personally not a fan of women Pastors as I think that role should be filled by a man, if a man is available. I know in some areas there simply isn't a male who can/will fill that role and so women have accepted that calling. I think we can see in God's outline for leadership in general and also in the fact that His Word outlines qualifications for males to be pastors but doesn't mention any such for females, that the role of Pastor should be filled by a man. Also the greek word for both Bishop and Pastor are masculine terms, two different words both speaking of the same role: bishop is episkopos and the word for pastor is poimen. 

I'm not against women sharing messages/ministering in general behind the pulpit, I follow and learn from many women who walk in great callings in the ministry and receive and share wonderful truths that they've learned through their studies of His Word. But for the role of a Shepherd should be filled by a man whenever possible. 

My two cents. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

My wife and my daughter teach women's bible study.
So do many women minister to other women.
My bible study teacher is a man, as is my pastor.
My opinion was I always thought this was a given.
But,
opinions are like noses.
Everyone has one.

But what does God say?
Should we not refer to scripture?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

13 minutes ago, TheAimes said:

I'm personally not a fan of women Pastors as I think that role should be filled by a man, if a man is available. I know in some areas there simply isn't a male who can/will fill that role and so women have accepted that calling.

Exactly what was intended to be conveyed. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. This points it out clearly. 

13 minutes ago, TheAimes said:

I'm not against women sharing messages/ministering in general behind the pulpit, I follow and learn from many women who walk in great callings in the ministry and receive and share wonderful truths that they've learned through their studies of His Word.

Amen. This is the entire emphasis I believe was the OP. 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, dhchristian said:

I am starting this because I feel this is a political attack that is being orchestrated for political purposes to divide the vote.

Political attack? Do you mind filling me in here?  

As for women preaching, I am not getting into that debate on here again.  :runforhills:

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks all for the replies. I am not making a judgment on this myself here, but want you all to talk this out. For me personally, In Christ there is neither male nor female, so it is not a superiority thing. I Know some are very adamant about woman not being in the ministry. I Do not view this negatively either as Paul the apostle said that woman should not be pastors. 

My Feeling is that this is going to be used as a means to divide the church, and by discussing it here now we can be ready for that effort. 

The Action in Question involving the Southern Baptist Convention involves two prominent female ministers. A faction is siding with the women, one of them being a close religious advisor to the president, and others are siding against them. There really is no right or wrong side here IMO, But it will be highly volatile. 

Just now, LadyKay said:

As for women preaching, I am not getting into that debate on here again.  :runforhills:

I Don't blame you, I was very reluctant to post this here.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I was wonder how long it would take before someone posted this question again.  Seems to go in cycles.

• Thumbs Up 2