• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I didn’t know where else to put this, but I just discovered a cool little bit that my updated version of Accordance can do! A simple thing, but it doesn’t take much to excie me when it comes to the scriptures and stuff.

I took a screen shot to illustrate—Accordance includes an internal web browser! When I hover over a  text in a Worthy thread, it shows up in the ‘Instant Details’ box, which I normal fix to the bottom of a ‘work space’ as shown here. If I click on the text link at the Worthy forum, it opens a window (formerly structured to show additional textural help in one of the work spaces as shown on the left. Pretty cool, huh? This is a big deal because before discovering this, I would move between the Safari browser and Accordance when wishing to look up scriptures being discussed. Now its all integrated!

screen.png

Edited by Alive
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,708
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, It  is  interesting, but useful only  if the information  is retained by the brain. Otherwise it is fast but pointless. I mention that because  there is found to be a relationship between hand -eye coordination and learning  especially learning critical thinking.

Without the motion  of writing with the hand the information is not retained nearly as well as  it is when it is written down  on paper with pencil, for cognitive skill is not developing very well without that coordination of eye, hand, brain retention of information with ability to use it.

Speed is not the need.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Though I do not do a great job of keeping it updated, there is also some useful info in the Bible Club here:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  99
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Without the motion  of writing with the hand the information is not retained nearly as well

Everyone has their own learning channel and while there are techniques common to a lot of people, not everyone is the same.  I'm for whatever gets a person excited and involved with learning continuously.

-Pv-

10 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, It  is  interesting, but useful only  if the information  is retained by the brain. Otherwise it is fast but pointless. I mention that because  there is found to be a relationship between hand -eye coordination and learning  especially learning critical thinking.

Without the motion  of writing with the hand the information is not retained nearly as well as  it is when it is written down  on paper with pencil, for cognitive skill is not developing very well without that coordination of eye, hand, brain retention of information with ability to use it.

Speed is not the need.

Although I understand what you are saying here, I find that by getting the scriptures into my mind--as I am reading/studying and the Lord shines a light on a thing. The 'principles' of what He is teaching me stick. Memorizing not so much, anymore--but the 'understanding' sticks.

Not sure how much that makes sense, but my experience has been the power and reality of what lies behind the words is alive and becomes a part of my 'existence'.

The result is that I can (when the Lord is involved), I can articulate  what has become internalized in my own words, which invariably contain words from the very verses, but in more of a conversational way. I have to stop myself to actually look up the verses that I am utilizing.

Clear as mud, right?

Another way to explain. I have studied a lot for 47 years-and its all in there somewhere, and there are things that the Lord has taught me (Paraclete) that loom far above most of it. My brain has forgotten much, but the Spirit helps by bringing things up as required. It can be quite invigorating and one way I know that the Lord is involved...when things flow way better than I very much know I am not capable of in the natural--any longer.

:-)

Edited by Alive
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,708
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, I used Oaktree's Accordance Bible software for years Back when only  Apple's Mac computers  were powerful enough to run it all.

I liked it, but eventually I found myself dependent upon my Mac to know the word. I was learning disjointed concepts, but could no longer see the circumstance, the real life situations, that brought about God's reveal. So I started going back to the hard work of reading entire books of the Bible again and the word became real  rather than being a series of quips (verses) to justify whatever my own mind's eye wanted it to justify.

With the fuller context I often found that instead of confirming what I thought I already knew, I was instead led to whole new understanding of God's precepts and commands.

I became aware of the power that was missing when I just went to  do a search  or a Cliff Notes Bible summary of someone else's thinking as happens when using Got Questions or any of many opinions of others posed as facts.

So I am trying to learn passages and books rather than what has been versified and chopped into pieces to pluck out of context and then declared to be God's will for me. And so I am reading, and reading again, slowly, trying to picture the times, the people, the geography, whatever I can glean. Plus I am using 3X5 cards that I have written by hand upon just to help me relearn how to learn almost photographically where I see entire pages unfolding in my mind. When I see a card I see  more than a verse  or passage I see the entirety of a train of thought, and instruction fom the whole book's story.

It is a very slow go for me at my present state of rust. But I am encouraged by having seen my uncle doing it and reciting entire books of the Bible even to his last day at age 93 when we engaged in conversation about our Lord.

Now I am doing less quick look ups and more reading for the joy of the read. I do use Bible gateway and Buble hub  and Strong's Concordance, plus sermons from archieves of Spurgeon, from Desiring God, and the videos of services from three separate churches. But there is nothing that helps me better than the time spent with a hard bound paper book of good quality, reading through till my eyes weaken and my mind starts to see the characters coming to life. Then I feel the Holy Spirt enlightening me as  I never do when I just  do a search on a computer  and open an app or a website full of opinion.

When I listen to a sermon I try to have read the material before  the sermon then play the sermon later on and then read the Bible again afterward by doing that my mind is getting properly oiled up again, the rust knocked off. It is very hard on this old mind by I am getting better at it as I decide I will not let my mind off the hook thinking it too old to be bothered with hard work..

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,090
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

Bible software is beyond my budget.

What free sources are online?

• Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,512
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

21 minutes ago, Daniel Marsh said:

Bible software is beyond my budget.

What free sources are online?

For the money, you can download e-Sword and use it off line, it's free! Great free program I used until I purchased SowardSearcher [about $60.00 if I recall]. 

• Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,512
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 3/10/2020 at 7:26 AM, Alive said:

I didn’t know where else to put this, but I just discovered a cool little bit that my updated version of Accordance can do! A simple thing, but it doesn’t take much to excie me when it comes to the scriptures and stuff.

I took a screen shot to illustrate—Accordance includes an internal web browser! When I hover over a  text in a Worthy thread, it shows up in the ‘Instant Details’ box, which I normal fix to the bottom of a ‘work space’ as shown here. If I click on the text link at the Worthy forum, it opens a window (formerly structured to show additional textural help in one of the work spaces as shown on the left. Pretty cool, huh? This is a big deal because before discovering this, I would move between the Safari browser and Accordance when wishing to look up scriptures being discussed. Now its all integrated!

screen.png

Got a question for you that would be helpful to me. I generally stay away from adding notes to my Bible software [SwordSearcher], because my computer is going to fail. I can always re-download the program but my notes would be in cyber Hades. Currently I write my notes briefly in my Bible. It would be awesome to be able to reinstall my notes in my program when my computer gives up its mother board. How would one quickly save their notes and re-post them where they belong in the same program on a new computer??? 

10 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Got a question for you that would be helpful to me. I generally stay away from adding notes to my Bible software [SwordSearcher], because my computer is going to fail. I can always re-download the program but my notes would be in cyber Hades. Currently I write my notes briefly in my Bible. It would be awesome to be able to reinstall my notes in my program when my computer gives up its mother board. How would one quickly save their notes and re-post them where they belong in the same program on a new computer??? 

I am not sure how your software works, but the most straight forward means of preserving your data is to keep a running back-up on an external drive. Again, depending on how your software integrates notes (or not), you could write notes as a text file and save them and then copy and paste them into your software.

This would make for a useful redundancy.

• Thanks 1