• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,028
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,369
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

39 minutes ago, warrior12 said:

Debp, you have to make use of the seniors hour. I remember saying that you are a night owl, well you have to set the alarm clock and make use of the privilege you are given to shop where there is less hassle and more items available.

I made the trip to my local grocery this morning and the line up was not bad, about 10 minutes wait before got in.  The grocery was stocked well and I just picked up a few things and left, did not pay attention to what was not there.  

It is just the eerie  unaccustomed feeling and not seeing so many people with mask on that makes me not want to be there.  I understand it is necessary, but just cannot get accustomed to it.  

The shopping was smooth as people were about their business.  

The thing is ascending here in Ontario,Canada and more stringent measures are being taken, like fines and more businesses being excluded from the essential service list.

Keep sending up those prayers and Let's hear what is going on in your area.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Oh, no need for me to get up early for going to the Target.   When I said the store was so empty, I meant it was empty of people!!  It was like I had the store to myself....just a few others there, hardly ran into anyone.   When I saw two people in an aisle once, I went down another aisle.

Target doesn't have many frozen dinners which my mom likes but I am buying other things, and get stuff at a cafe, too.   I want to avoid taking a taxi to the supermarket since the drivers are in close proximity and deal with so many people each day.

• Praise God! 1

24 minutes ago, The Barbarian said:

The real culprits are the scum who bought up as much as they could, hoping to sell it later.    Some well-intentioned people then panicked and bought up toilet paper and hand sanitizer in fear, and there we are.    I hope stores don't allow return of any of it when this is done.  

I heard about a doctor, in NYC I think.   He had to buy $17,000 worth of supplies on the Black Market!   He said the mark-up was about 800%!

He said he went into this warehouse and it was unbelievable!   All of these pallets of hand sanitizer, etc!

Our markets have signs no returns allowed.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Debp said:

Oh, no need for me to get up early for going to the Target.   When I said the store was so empty, I meant it was empty of people!!  It was like I had the store to myself....just a few others there, hardly ran into anyone.   When I saw two people in an aisle once, I went down another aisle.

Target doesn't have many frozen dinners which my mom likes but I am buying other things, and get stuff at a cafe, too.   I want to avoid taking a taxi to the supermarket since the drivers are in close proximity and deal with so many people each day.

Walmart, in the city where I live, was also fairly empty around 2 PM on Monday. Now in effect, each aisle is only one way, and everyone gets their temperature checked when they enter. I think most everyone now realizes it is no different than buying products as before because everyone knows we are all in the same boat. People have relaxed their anxieties about buying, but most are keeping to the guidelines. 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.38
  • Days Won:  16

34 minutes ago, The Barbarian said:

The real culprits are the scum who bought up as much as they could, hoping to sell it later.    Some well-intentioned people then panicked and bought up toilet paper and hand sanitizer in fear, and there we are.    I hope stores don't allow return of any of it when this is done.  

The real culprit is a modern JIT supply chain that means there is only enough food or anything else for 3-5 days in the best stocked locations.   Very efficient and economical as long as it's working.  People are going to do what people do when they panic, and the vast majority are not hoarders, they are trying to buffer their families from lack by buying a bit extra and reducing their dependence on a supply chain that is failing....and will fail in much more severe ways than we've seen so far.

Those that didn't have the prudence to be prepared are the ones who are screaming about how unfair these 'hoarders' are .... you might have a window of grace to fix it...i suggest you use it wisely.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  775
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Jostler said:

Just got back from the store and there are still lots of empty shelves, but overall things appear to be slowly recovering.  There was both toilet paper and paper towels for the first time I've shopped since shelves in the US started emptying.  As well as eggs which have not been available either.  Purchases are still limited to one or two items for a number of things, which is fine, but it does seem we're slowly caching up.  Butter was in short supply but most of the dairy was well stocked.  Cheeses were available, though the big 5lb blocks i normally buy (good value) are still missing.  Meats were ok....a bit lean on variety and nothing on sale, but that is most likely due to the early hour I shopped....and the butchers just hadn't had time to restock from yesterday.

I really didn't need anything, but stocked up on some nuts, a few canned veggies (which were well stocked again), some elbow macaroni which has also been absent for a while and is still limited in supply and selection....still no flour products at all available....but that will probably recover some soon too.  Laid in a good supply of dried fruit, and got horseradish, turmeric, ginger and lots of garlic to make some more fire cider with.  Got everything I need for that

Bought 4 dozen more quart canning jars, and about to head for Home Depot and get the cinder blocks I need for a dual burner rocket stove.

Yes  I wore a mask :)  And I'll wipe down/sterilize what I bought before I bring it in the house. 

I hope a few are using this little rebound in the supply chain to get ready for what's next....this ain't over.

What a marvellous time n abundancy you have, in poor country like this such prosperity like yours is just a dream of Millions people. You don't know yet what is trouble of scarcity n poverty, thank God Jesus for that.

• Praying! 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  5,082
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

5 hours ago, Jostler said:

The real culprit is a modern JIT supply chain that means there is only enough food or anything else for 3-5 days in the best stocked locations. 

Works fine except for panicked people.

People are going to do what people do when they panic, and the vast majority are not hoarders, they are trying to buffer their families from lack by buying a bit extra and reducing their dependence on a supply chain that is failing

Supply chain is doing fine.  I notice the shelves in supermarkets continue to be replenished.    And "trying to buffer" is the definition of hoarding.    I feel the same push "buy an extra carton of eggs, just to be sure."   And that's all it takes to cause shortages.  

Those that didn't have the prudence to be prepared are the ones who are screaming about how unfair these 'hoarders' are

They're just foolish people who don't think things through.   Some of them are grifters, but most are just not very smart.

you might have a window of grace to fix it...i suggest you use it wisely.

I don't see a problem.   I usually keep the freezer stocked, just because I don't like going to the store every day.   What I have seen, are crooks trying to capitalize on people's fears to make a profit.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  5,082
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

16 hours ago, Debp said:

Our markets have signs no returns allowed.

Great.    Poetic justice.

The AG in our state, although he's under an indictment for fraud, is enthusiastically going after profiteers who are trying to cash in on fear.

Edited by The Barbarian
Clarify meaning.
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.40

2 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

What a marvellous time n abundancy you have, in poor country like this such prosperity like yours is just a dream of Millions people. You don't know yet what is trouble of scarcity n poverty, thank God Jesus for that.

You say you’re in Jakarta. Is that true?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  775
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.05

20 minutes ago, Kristin said:

You say you’re in Jakarta. Is that true?

Yes, there r about three hundred thousand families who own Cars in this city, the rest 24 Millions are villagers seeking fortune as street vendors n others r cheap labours n cheap officers working in skyscrapers.

Edited by R. Hartono

2 minutes ago, R. Hartono said:

Yes

Are you able to get to the market or the traditional market?   I remember you were eating rice with ketchup because you didn't want to get around too many people.   And you had a can of sardines.   How are you now?