Is it wrong to call someone "good"?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I mean, Jesus rejected being called good (mark 10:18), is it worng to call someone "a good person" or acepting someone calling you that?

PS: personally, I started calling people nice persons, referring about their manners/education, but I avoid calling someone good 

Edited by Brko72

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

14 minutes ago, Brko72 said:

I mean, Jesus rejected being called good (mark 10:18), is it worng to call someone "a good person" or acepting someone calling you that?

PS: personally, I started calling people nice persons, referring about their manners/education, but I avoid calling someone good 

To be too dogmatic is to sometimes become legalistic. Jesus said that only God is good, but he was speaking to a rich man who said he followed all the commandments. When Jesus tested him and said he must give up everything...and then follow him, he was trying to get the rich man to see that the deity of God was in Christ, and that no man apart from Christ was good. In John 10:11, Jesus said, "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." He substantiates who he is and who the rich man is speaking with.

If I tell someone, "Hey, you're a good guy," I understand I am talking in context from a human standpoint, and by default, it becomes a relative term. Don't get too hung up in calling someone good, as long as you recognize that the person to whom you are referring is not God. :)

• Thumbs Up 3