• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/2005

Why did you convert to Christianity and/or why do you continue to be a Christian?

Note: I'm not questioning my faith, I'm just curious as to other people's reasons.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.91
  • Days Won:  64

John 6: 43-

Stop grumbling among yourselves,” Jesus answered. 44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day. 4It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’[d] Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me. 46 No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. 47 Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life. 48 I am the bread of life. 4

God graciously let me hear the gospel and I believed it but he did it all.  The bible says he is the author and finisher or our faith :)

I guess I could share some.  Other things influenced me before, but this was how I/we clearly heard the gospel message.

My mom and step-dad were having marital problems (wont' go into that).  My step-dad was from the south but we all lived on the West Coast at this time.   My mom was raised catholic as a kid.  They looked for churches and they finally ended up at a Baptist Church.  We heard the gospel preached and we believed.  My whole family ended up believing in Jesus and got saved.  Praise the Lord!  There is more to this story but in a nutshell this is how I heard and believed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

My heart was opened to God so I opened a Bible and started reading about Jesus Christ. I became very interested in Jesus Christ. I then sat down at my parents kitchen table and asked Jesus Christ into my life. It was more of a feeling and I felt like Christ was calling me. It has been a very long process to where I am today and being obedient to Him and having a daily relationship with Him. I am not the same person I was 20 years ago or 10 years ago. I just keep growing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

I now call myself a Christ Follower, instead of Christian, as from my experience, and following what's going on in the Christian culture today across this country, the "fruitbowl" of Christianity  includes just about any style of faith or doctrine you can possibly imagine, so that for me Christianity has been diluted to appoint where there is no relevance to the reality that God originally intended salvation to be in our lives, and at least in my little part of the world, Christian or Christianity is a dirty word as more and more especially younger and educated people are aware of the growing hypocracy of Christianity, and are looking for something more authentic and legitimate. It's amazing how educated and informed people on the outside of the church are, compared to those in the church in their blindness and dysfunctional beliefs.

The world is watching the church more than the church realizes, and  the churches are failing miserably in the eyes of the educated and searching who want the truth and authenticity. There is a huge quiet migration and exodus from the churches all across this country that is growing and growing.

The days of the circus presentations in church aren't fooling people anymore, as people with an honest heart, Christian or not, know instinctively, as God has spoken to all our hearts when we were created, to know the truth and the truth will set you free

Praise God for the "true church" and God's truth.

Edited by Seasoned by Grace

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,406
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

For me the decision came early. I had a strong Christian upbringing from my grandparents and was exposed to their example and Christian programming from an early age. So I was a little kid when I first prayed to be saved. I didn't fully grasp it all of course, but all that I picked up stuck with me. As I grew up I came to understand the importance and significance of it, and even almost at 40 I feel like I'm still growing in my understanding and appreciation of the gift of salvation.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 1/23/2020 at 6:05 PM, ChristianBoy1243 said:

Why did you convert to Christianity and/or why do you continue to be a Christian?

Note: I'm not questioning my faith, I'm just curious as to other people's reasons.

Well I grew up basically in the Church of Christ, though we had a falling out when I was about 18 over some unwritten church doctrine about who could and could not go to heaven.

I have always been a believer in that I had the knowledge of who Jesus is but had really never made the leap of confessing he was my lord in a serious way.   So (overlooking the warnings in the Old Testament) in my upstart way I thought I should learn who Lucifer/Satan was and how he operated so as better to fight with him...        Problem was that the more I learned about "them" the more they interfaced with me and before I knew it they were introducing me to things that are rarely shown to most people....   after about ten years of research it all came to a head one night when I was requested to officially join them and promised a not so small amount of status and things by doing so.....    It was at time I caught myself situated on the edge of a cliff and peering over the edge was loosing my balance.....    It was at that moment that the Holy Spirit came in and stopped the whole thing....   basically told them that I belonged to the Lord and they could not have me.....

It was at time I realized what a fool I was and gave my entire existence over to Jesus to do with as he pleases.....   it was then I understood that we as humans have no authority, power or control over the spirit world and as in my case it is only the Holy Spirit that has that power and control....    When we do things in the spirit world it is the Holy Spirit working through us that actually accomplished what's being done.

So I would say that I didn't convert to Christianity because Christianity is really a relationship with Jesus through the Holy Spirit...   It is not following some church doctrinal rituals that one believes will get him/her into heaven, but a real time relationship with the creator of the universe.

So to answer your question I would say that I am a Christian today because I've met the Devil and Jesus snatched me out of his hand and kept me from certain destruction....   and since I learned the hard way that Jesus is basically my only defense from those I inadvertently interfaced with my life and my family's I would be a total fool to turn my back on Jesus.

And Just for the record, "yes they do still try."