IGNORED

G-d

Simple curiosity. Some people hyphenate the word 'God'. 

Why? 

I suppose there must be a really good reason. I've noticed it in several cases, one or two very high profile persons do this. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

This is something that goes back to Jewish beliefs that it is disrespectful to address God by name.  Most often when you see this it is from a Messianic Jew, or someone who attends a Messianic service at a Jewish temple.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,234
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Yeah... they would and some still do.. NEVER EVER say the name of God. I don't do that.. but I 100% agree with it. He is HOLY!.. HOLY HOLY HOLY!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

While it is a mark of respect, it is pointless.

Jesus taught s to call the Almighty, Holy, Creator God as Da Da. ( Abba )

The closeness of this takes into a relationship that those using G-d clearly don't know or understand.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  11/16/1993

21 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Simple curiosity. Some people hyphenate the word 'God'. 

Why? 

I suppose there must be a really good reason. I've noticed it in several cases, one or two very high profile persons do this. 

The Hebrew alphabet did not employ any written vowels. Vowel sounds in Hebrew culture were only memorized, never transcribed. For this reason, there is a debate among Jews about the proper vowel to use to spell the word God. "If the vowel wasn't transcribed, how can we know it translates to English as an 'O'?" That basically the argument there. 

Edited by AngelInTraining93
Removed a word not needed

• Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80

When i was younger in my faith my family wanted to get together to Watch Mrs doughtfire. I liked Robin Williams as comedian. So i went and we all laughed. It was about a wrong when divorce and child custody. A part came up in the film where Robin had the kids all having dinner when his wife showed up early to get the kids. This is when Robin used the word G-D! right there in the company  of the children. 

Suddenly it hit me like a sledgehammer. Non believers would not notice but I did.  I sat there a minute and suddenly excused myself. My family came out looking for me and I said Im sorry but I cannot watch this show. of course they thought I was being silly. I tried my best to explain why, butt i just could not go back in. From that day forward any show i watched if they used the term I change station or shut it off. 

If we ignor  it for the sake of entertainment it would be like you used that term yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

They could make things simpler and just put a capital G when referring to god. It seems that these people might be referring to different sorts of god's as the bible does. The devil is the god of this world. Jesus is our God and saviour. The amorites worshipped their god. There are different sorts of god's in the bible and they all are referred to as god. Personally speaking i have never done what your questioning.