Does This Grace Illustration Work?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Hi, I thought of a way of explaining God’s grace and blessings for our lives, I was wondering if people could read and see if it seems biblically sound. Thanks

“When we follow Jesus a permanent light shines above our head no matter where we go, no matter what we do morally, the light and blessing is always there. But we can live our life’s in such a way where we can block the blessing/light from coming on us, eg if we are sinning like we used to sin before we knew Jesus, we are blocking that blessing. The light is still there shining on us all the time, but it’s like we put an umbrella up over our heads to block it”

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

I do not want to sound critical Open7, but perhaps you do not need such illustrations, just a simple explanation, that grace is where God blesses people with things they do not deserve, and have not earned.

In salvation especially, no one is good enough to earn it, it is the gift of God to those who have faith.

Eph 2:8,9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

There is another word "Mercy" that is also good to know.

Whereas grace is getting a good things that we do not deserve, mercy is being sparred from things which we do deserve.

Both of these flow out of God's love and compassion, but they are not granted to everyone all the time, only to those who trust in God, and His Son Who He sent to suffer and die, to save those who believe.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

14 hours ago, Open7 said:

Hi, I thought of a way of explaining God’s grace and blessings for our lives, I was wondering if people could read and see if it seems biblically sound

Shalom @Open7

I like your idea and illustration and your heart behind it.  However, I think it's best to try and keep the illustration as simple and relatable as possible.  Because whilst you have depicted Grace in a clever way, some could misunderstand it easily.  You also run the risk of making Grace sound like a spiritual force (to the new-ager) rather than gift granted to us.

Perhaps think of a practical, real-world example of grace that everyone could understand. 

Try using an illustration of a King and a Subject, a Judge and a Criminal or a Father and a Son.  Something from daily life that's easily understandable, translatable and closer to the truth.

Keep up the good work.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

21 hours ago, Open7 said:

Hi, I thought of a way of explaining God’s grace and blessings for our lives, I was wondering if people could read and see if it seems biblically sound. Thanks

“When we follow Jesus a permanent light shines above our head no matter where we go, no matter what we do morally, the light and blessing is always there. But we can live our life’s in such a way where we can block the blessing/light from coming on us, eg if we are sinning like we used to sin before we knew Jesus, we are blocking that blessing. The light is still there shining on us all the time, but it’s like we put an umbrella up over our heads to block it”

That works for me, Open7. It rings true and clear as a bell. I like it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I do not want to sound critical Open7, but perhaps you do not need such illustrations, just a simple explanation, that grace is where God blesses people with things they do not deserve, and have not earned.

Just a mention in the respect of how our people in today's Digital Age respond and the ways that affect their stimulus. This would be a visual one. This has impact directly on the brain and how their perceive. If we have the ability to express in portraiture formation such as we did being young and having stories read to us, they will still be able to pick up on it as we did. It can powerful sometimes and equally dynamic. In other words, whatever works! 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 7/2/2020 at 10:33 AM, Open7 said:

Good analogy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Good analogy. 

Yeah, I thought it was too. That's why I came back with a second opinion on this post. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 7/2/2020 at 1:33 PM, Open7 said:

You aren't explaining grace but how to block or unblock the Holy Spirit's influence in our lives.

Mercy - a criminal who should get 20 years gets 2

Grace - a criminal who should get 20 years walks away free and the jury awards him some money to start a new life

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 7/2/2020 at 6:33 PM, Open7 said:

Agreed. It is possible to get the blessing that but the story of Jacob is a great illustration of what a person can do and what they have to do to get blessings back.