• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

One English band has been overlooked in our discussion and I don't know why.  That group is the Moody Blues.  My wife and I got to see them in concert at Riverport Amphitheater in Earth City, MO.  Great band and talented musicians.  I had their first seven albums on LPs and then they went on hiatus.  Hayward-Lodge came out with a solo album, I think Graeme Edge did too.

Oh, indeed yes! The Moodies were so fantastic. Go Now wasn't even recognizable to me as being them and then Nights in White Satin came out with the distinctive mellotron used extensively on the LP of the same name. It was the predecessor to more modern polyphonic synthesizers.

I do love the Moody Blues and learned how to play the song on an upright piano. The same one I managed to figure out Joni Mitchell's Ladies of the Canyon and Blue LPs, which featured her new but quickly developing art of keyboards. Dulcimer too, which is a nice Appalachian instrument.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member

13 minutes ago, Henry_iain said:

Thanks, bro. Very interesting they should team up in this effort. 

2 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Oh, indeed yes! The Moodies were so fantastic. Go Now wasn't even recognizable to me as being them and then Nights in White Satin came out with the distinctive mellotron used extensively on the LP of the same name. It was the predecessor to more modern polyphonic synthesizers.

I do love the Moody Blues and learned how to play the song on an upright piano. The same one I managed to figure out Joni Mitchell's Ladies of the Canyon and Blue LPs, which featured her new but quickly developing art of keyboards. Dulcimer too, which is a nice Appalachian instrument.  

For years I thought Days of Future Passed was the Moody Blues first album.  A couple of years ago I found Magnificent Moodies on Amazon and bought it.  What a disappointment.  Days of Future Passed was/is a magnificent blend of rock and classical music.  Seventh Sojourn was my favorite Moody Blues LP from their (first) seven but Story in Your Eyes might be my favorite until we get to post break Moody Blues which I have on CD.  The Other Side of Life is a great song/album too.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

For years I thought Days of Future Passed was the Moody Blues first album.

Ah! Yes, that's the one I was mentioning. Yet another "oops" on Beau. 

A couple of years ago I found Magnificent Moodies on Amazon and bought it.  What a disappointment. 

Oh, really? I was totally unaware of this one. Supertramp's first was bad and it was  not Crime of the Century. The LP is not a Worthy post. 

Seventh Sojourn was my favorite Moody Blues LP

In Search of the Lost Chord, On the Threshold of a Dream, and A Question of Balance are my choice LPs by the Moody Blues. I have a favorite tune from the latter 1980's called, No More Lies. It's beautiful, but so are most of what the Moodies do. Beautiful neo-classic folk/rock ballads. Great Stuff!

• Thumbs Up 1

Saved.One.by.Grace, check for the tune in your PM box. You have probably heard this one but it's worth a listen in again. A sure bet fave from the latter of the Moodies career. Great message as usual. Most of them do have something of real meaning. They are/were? another great lyric oriented band. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, really? I was totally unaware of this one. Supertramp's first was bad and it was  not Crime of the Century. The LP is not a Worthy post. 

Actually, Crime of the Century was their 3rd.  When I was living in LA, they played a concert at the Santa Monica Civic Century featuring their 3rd and 4th albums.  It was broadcast live (and I recorded it) over the radio and they played an encore song that was really good but I didn't recognize.  So I found out that their 2nd album was available and I bought it, Indelibly Stamped.  The song wasn't on there.  The I bought their self-titled first album and couldn't play it cause it was so warped.  When I finally got the first album, the song wasn't there either.  What makes it worse, I didn't record the encore thinking the show was over.  My OCD drives me crazy some times.  I finally got a record from Canada that was not warped.  And you're right.  Supertramp's first two albums are not anything to have OCD over.

In Search of the Lost Chord, On the Threshold of a Dream, and A Question of Balance are my choice LPs by the Moody Blues. I have a favorite tune from the latter 1980's called, No More Lies. It's beautiful, but so are most of what the Moodies do. Beautiful neo-classic folk/rock ballads. Great Stuff!

While I don't have the LPs anymore, they have all been replaced by CDs.  Live at Red Rocks is a fantastic live album.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Saved.One.by.Grace, check for the tune in your PM box. You have probably heard this one but it's worth a listen in again. A sure bet fave from the latter of the Moodies career. Great message as usual. Most of them do have something of real meaning. They are/were? another great lyric oriented band. 

Moody Blues "Nights in White Satin" sends chills up my spine whenever I hear it.  Only a few songs do that, Derek and the Dominoes "Layla" being another one.  I wasn't aware the Moody Blues had two albums (at least) out before "Days of Future Passed".  I think Procol Harem tried to recreate that somewhat with "Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra".

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Actually, Crime of the Century was their 3rd.  When I was living in LA, they played a concert at the Santa Monica Civic Century featuring their 3rd and 4th albums.  It was broadcast live (and I recorded it) over the radio and they played an encore song that was really good but I didn't recognize.  So I found out that their 2nd album was available and I bought it, Indelibly Stamped.  The song wasn't on there.  The I bought their self-titled first album and couldn't play it cause it was so warped.  When I finally got the first album, the song wasn't there either.  What makes it worse, I didn't record the encore thinking the show was over.  My OCD drives me crazy some times.  I finally got a record from Canada that was not warped.  And you're right.  Supertramp's first two albums are not anything to have OCD over.

You and I probably saw them on the same tour when they began to premier Even in the Quietest Moments. This was a fantastic concert at the height of their career. the next LP, Breakfast in America, began veering away from what had been more of a progressive album oriented classical/folk/rock sound and like Genesis, went for commercial radio mainstream pop hits. I stopped my vinyl collection after Quietest Moments and lost interest which previously was pure fandom. Both of these prog bands ended up a huge disappointment to me. Money screams doesn't it? 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1

Moody Blues "Nights in White Satin" sends chills up my spine whenever I hear it. 

Absolutely. It's still a brilliant timeless classic. I remember the very first time I heard it. It was astonishing, almost like an experience. 

Only a few songs do that, Derek and the Dominoes "Layla" being another one. 

I love the LP and purchased the CD some time back. Duane and Eric traded slide guitar licks all over this project and were stunning together. Tell the Truth seers with life and vibrance. Probably my favorite besides Bell Bottom Blues. 

The only downside of these two getting together was the tragic combo of cocaine and heroin in order to continue going. Not long after this Duane Allman overdosed and passed away. Yet another terrible loss to the rock industry. Eric survived and overcame it.  

Edited by BeauJangles
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

You know Henry, a few more people might have been interested, had you mentioned Bob Dylan in the title. I had no idea who you were talking about, maybe I am not alone. After all, my album does not say Robert Zimmerman on the cover!