douge

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  354
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  964
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

Deuteronomy 4:1 Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them, that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers giveth you.

4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Israel failed to possess all the land promised them because they were unable to keep the commandments given them.

Jesus did not abolish the need for Israel to keep the commandments:

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

The remnant of Israel would keep the commandments during the tribulation through the power of the Spirit (Acts 1:8):

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

The remnant of Israel will be made kings and priests in the kingdom on earth:

Revelation 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Are you sure the commandments spoken of in the od testament are the same as in Revelation?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Here are a few more:

Jesus/Yahshua:

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments. ... Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him." - Jhn 14:15, 21 ESV

If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. - Jhn 15:10 ESV

"Teacher, which [is] the great commandment in the law?" Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' "This is [the] first and great commandment. "And [the] second [is] like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." - Mat 22:36-40 NKJV

"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. "Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches [them], he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. "For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds [the righteousness] of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. - Mat 5:17-20 NKJV

"The law and the prophets [were] until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it. "And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one tittle of the law to fail. - Luk 16:16-17 NKJV

And someone came to Him and said, "Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?"... He said to him, "if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." - Mat 19:16-17 NASB

But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? ... And honor not his father or his mother, [he shall be free]. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition. - Mat 15:3, 6 KJV

And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition. - Mar 7:9 KJV

John the Apostle:

Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. ... Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning. - 1Jo 2:3-4, 7 NKJV

And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him and He in him. And by this, we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. - 1Jo 3:22-24 NKJV

And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God [must] love his brother also. - 1Jo 4:21 NKJV

By this, we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. - 1Jo 5:2-3 NKJV

And now I plead with you, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment to you, but that which we have had from the beginning: that we love one another. This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it. - 2Jo 1:5-6 NKJV

James the Brother of Yahshua:

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues [in it], and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does. - Jas 1:22-25 NKJV

If you really fulfill [the] royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well; but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one [point], he is guilty of all. For He who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. - Jas 2:8-12 NKJV

Peter the Apostle:
For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known [it], to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. - 2Pe 2:21 KJV

For the time [has come] for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if [it begins] with us first, what will [be] the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God? - 1Pe 4:17 NKJV

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

So I was talking with watchman(servent) the other day and was asking questions, forgive me if this is repeatative. Since Jesus came to fulfil the law not abolish it,  and we put our faith and trust in Jesus, we're still meant to keep the law? Like the 10 commandments or the 613 Jewish laws? This is a topic I get hung up on and I'm trying to get right. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

Read Leviticus and understand it well. The many sacrifices were to show us how to approach 'sacred space'.

The new covenant described in the Gospel shows us that the God that gave us the laws was able to keep it for us. Do not get hung up on the Torah, but rejoice that we are saved and now Children of the Most High. The Torah tells us much about God's heart, but the NEW covenant makes it possible to keep it all by proxy. As the apostle said many times, the law is a stumbling block - we have to be BROKEN by it and raised up with Christ. But others will be crushed by it and ground to a powder.

You will keep the commandments out of Love for the Father. You will also fail often: not to worry as Yeshua took care of that at the Cross. His blood cleansed the WAY to the Father thru the veil and unto the Holy of Holies so we can present ourselves clean and untainted by any sin. Thru Yeshua who redeemed us and Sanctified us our WAY is made straight.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

5 hours ago, Greenie said:

So I was talking with watchman(servent) the other day and was asking questions, forgive me if this is repeatative. Since Jesus came to fulfil the law not abolish it,  and we put our faith and trust in Jesus, we're still meant to keep the law? Like the 10 commandments or the 613 Jewish laws? This is a topic I get hung up on and I'm trying to get right. 

Hi @Greenie

It is a hazy subject, but only because some make it seem harder than it needs to be. 

Firstly, there's not 613 laws. If you go through them, one at a time, you'll see that some are repetitions, some are for priests only, women only, men only, judges only, details of Feast organisation, explanations of previous laws, concerning sacrifices, and some are for only when certain conditions arise!

So forget this "613" nonsense, that's a grevious miscalculation by the Jews as they attempted to codify Torah. Hopefully that we be a relief to read! :)

Start with the 10 commandments. Which hopefully you see as beneficial and natural for a son of God to follow. 

For everything else, this is where "walking by the Spirit" comes in. The more and more you read and re-read Scripture, the more thr Spirit will convict you upon matters.  But this will be one step at a time.  

The Spirit may convict me on a matter but not you and vice versa.  Then as time goes on you may be convicted on the same. 

I certainly haven't "arrived" yet or can say "I'm fully Torah observant". But my obedience in such things is increasing month by month - and it is a pleasure, not a burden. 

We have to be open to be led by the Spirit and adapt as we are led rather than resist for the sake of what mere men have taught us. If that makes sense. 

We are under grace because of the Messiah, praise Yahweh, so now we a free!  So I use that freedom to serve Him. To learn and understand His instructions and walk therein - though I'm free not to.   Not to gain salvation or secure it, but with fascination and in appreciation. 

Love & Shalom 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

2 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Hi @Greenie

It is a hazy subject, but only because some make it seem harder than it needs to be. 

Firstly, there's not 613 laws. If you go through them, one at a time, you'll see that some are repetitions, some are for priests only, women only, men only, judges only, details of Feast organisation, explanations of previous laws, concerning sacrifices, and some are for only when certain conditions arise!

So forget this "613" nonsense, that's a grevious miscalculation by the Jews as they attempted to codify Torah. Hopefully that we be a relief to read! :)

Start with the 10 commandments. Which hopefully you see as beneficial and natural for a son of God to follow. 

For everything else, this is where "walking by the Spirit" comes in. The more and more you read and re-read Scripture, the more thr Spirit will convict you upon matters.  But this will be one step at a time.  

The Spirit may convict me on a matter but not you and vice versa.  Then as time goes on you may be convicted on the same. 

I certainly haven't "arrived" yet or can say "I'm fully Torah observant". But my obedience in such things is increasing month by month - and it is a pleasure, not a burden. 

We have to be open to be led by the Spirit and adapt as we are led rather than resist for the sake of what mere men have taught us. If that makes sense. 

We are under grace because of the Messiah, praise Yahweh, so now we a free!  So I use that freedom to serve Him. To learn and understand His instructions and walk therein - though I'm free not to.   Not to gain salvation or secure it, but with fascination and in appreciation. 

Love & Shalom 

Agreed.  The whole law of God is based on 2 Commandments (Loving God & Loving your neighbor) on these two hang all of the Commandments.  The 10 Commandments teaches us how to Love God and Love our neighbor according to God's standard.  Many Christians have weird concepts of what it means to Love God and Love your neighbor but its spelled out for you in the 10 Commandments.  Loving God means (Have no other gods or Idols, Don't Blaspheme his Name, Remember his Sabbath) Love your Neighbor means ( You honor your Parents, Don't Murder, Lie, Cheat, Steal, or Commit Adultery or Covet your neighbors belongs).  If you are following these then that means you are Loving God and your Neighbor according to God's way, which is the only way)  

I agree the 613 commands are a complete misconception and a distraction that lawless Christians use to attack those who do keep the commandments and as you said much of those 613 commands pertain only to Levitical Priest, Kings, Slave Owners, Farmers, some only for Women, some only for Men, many of those laws only apply to those living in the land of Israel, etc...which most of them do not apply to the average individual.  The 10 Commandants is the supreme and everlasting Law of God and this is what we should focus on as servants of God.  The Commandments of God are what Yahshua taught us to keep...his whole sermon on the mount was about keeping the Commandments and is the foundation of all his teachings.

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

So forget this "613" nonsense, that's a grevious miscalculation by the Jews as they attempted to codify Torah. Hopefully that we be a relief to read:)

^^^ that is eye opening and it was a relief .

14 hours ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Agreed.  The whole law of God is based on 2 Commandments (Loving God & Loving your neighbor) on these two hang all of the Commandments.  The 10 Commandments teaches us how to Love God and Love our neighbor according to God's standard.  Many Christians have weird concepts of what it means to Love God and Love your neighbor but its spelled out for you in the 10 Commandments.  Loving God means (Have no other gods or Idols, Don't Blaspheme his Name, Remember his Sabbath) Love your Neighbor means ( You honor your Parents, Don't Murder, Lie, Cheat, Steal, or Commit Adultery or Covet your neighbors belongs).  If you are following these then that means you are Loving God and your Neighbor according to God's way, which is the only way)  

Jedi, that was amazing to read as well. My spirit jumped for joy (I believe when you read it like this its much easier to understand )

Thank you for the responses 

Be blessed ,

Greenie 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Here is Jesus talking to a group of people he is sending to hell:

Matt 25:41-46
"Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.' 44 "Then they themselves also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' 45 "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' 46 "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." 
NASB

I would just ask which of the 10 commandments did these people break?'

the two commandments that Jesus gave us to live by are much more comprehensive than the ten.  Actually you could live your entire life and never break one of the ten commandments and to go hell.    and each of us should know and relay that information to the world.

Sacrifice is no longer needed for salvation...   It's been done once and for all time..

So has the ten commandments been abolished....    no they have not, but they do not pertain to those of us who have make the decision to trust Jesus to be our lord and take care of eternity....   and if you have not done that you will be condemned by the old law.

"Am I my brothers keeper"       actually yes you are.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.56
  • Days Won:  12

On 9/9/2020 at 2:43 PM, Greenie said:

In the New Covenant, we live by faith in Jesus Christ - looking away from ourselves to Him, the Author and Finisher of our faith.  As we walk in fellowship with the Lord, we do what pleases Him.

If we, as born again Christians, try to live by obeying the law of Moses (whether the 10 commandments, or all 613), we will fail utterly (see Romans 7).  The law was given to show us God's righteousness, our sinfulness and our inability to do God's righteousness.  It was given to point to the Lord Jesus Christ, who has fulfilled it.

We live by relationship with the Lord, who empowers us to do what pleases Him.  The law provides no power to keep it and is the ministry of condemnation, written on tables of stone.

• Well Said! 1