• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

On 9/22/2020 at 12:15 PM, LadyKay said:

I never consider myself to be a liberal. I just follow the teachings of Christ to the best I am able to do. Live my life in as much of a Christ like manner as I can. Messing up here and there sometimes as we all do. Then I join Worthy and started spouting off what I think about this and that and what not. Then all these people on here started calling me a Liberal. So I just went with it. And I guess I never really denied it.  But really all I am doing is being me.  And being the way I think Christ wants me to be.   Not the way others think I should be. So that's my story of how I became a liberal. :)

Are you saying you have liberal Christian theology? I don't see it. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

2 hours ago, Josheb said:

Yep. Polarized living is rarely healthy. Normal is not always healthy. The healthy place is almost always some place in the healthy middle. 

I'm not sure what you mean. God says homosexuality is wrong so I take that literally. What do you do if you have an attraction to the same sex? It's just another sin to overcome. It's not much different from being attracted to the opposite sex but not being blessed with a mate. Today's world is full of sins we must learn to overcome. Homosexual feelings would be just another one of them. But the liberal person would say, hey he has a right to his fun too. Not according to God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

There appears to be many different uses of the term 'liberal' on this thread. Hence the confusion in replies.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

This is the definiton of "liberal".

Open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

1 hour ago, Josheb said:

Homosexuality is sinful.

That's correct. I never said you didn't think homosexuality is a sin. I just chose homosexuality to discuss what a liberal attitude might be. I could have also chosen reading one's horoscope, practicing yoga, celebrating Halloween, or many other worldly practices a person gives up when he chooses to make God all important in his life.

I'm also noticing liberal people like to argue over their liberal beliefs. That's unfortunate.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  10,335
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

This is where others might call me "liberal" because I hold to the teachings of Christ. 

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you." (Matthew 5:38-42 NASB)

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:43-48 NASB)

Some forget whom vengeance belongs to... not to us, but to the Lord. 

Edited by Marathoner

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, Josheb said:

Homosexuality is sinful. Nothing I posted should be construed to say otherwise.  

How did we get to this?  I step away from this thread for a few hrs and I come back to this. What happen?

Edited by LadyKay
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, JTC said:

Today I simply wouldn't be friends with her, but not because I judge her but because being friends with a woman like her would pull me away from my devotions to God. 

By your own words you judge this individual, my friend. By your own words, you affirm that "a woman like her" wields power over you. Is this person responsible for your actions?

Of course it's your choice whether or not you wish to engage in friendship with your neighbor; nevertheless you have passed judgment upon your neighbor. It's good and worthwhile to bring the truth to your attention so you might see with your eyes and hear with your ears.  Just as well, by your own words you pass judgment upon the Lord's servant:

12 hours ago, JTC said:

Kay,  I don't know you super well but the little I know of you tells me you are a liberal type of Christian. I don't know about politically. Of course you can say I'm a close minded ultra conservative old fashioned Christian. 30 to 35 yrs ago you might have liked me but now you probably can't stand folks like me. My challenge with people like you is to not judge you. We've both been a part of Worthy a long time and I've noticed you keep coming back here, that tells me something. I've reached the point where I have to wonder how a believer can think homosexuality is okay with God, along with various other worldly concerns. 30 yrs ago I had a female friend who I was quite fond of. This young lady was bisexual so I had convinced myself that it wasn't so bad.  Today I simply wouldn't be friends with her, but not because I judge her but because being friends with a woman like her would pull me away from my devotions to God. This is what I worry about with you. Like I said, I know a little about you. I hope your liberal interests don't drag you away from a closer relationship with God. I think if God could have His way 100% then other than working and child rearing God would be what consumes us all the time.

You confess that you lack knowledge, @JTC. How can you judge the Lord's servant from ignorance? Remember the scripture,

Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. (Romans 14:4)

And also as it applies to both the neighbor who has power over you and to your sister in the Lord,

Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. But refuse foolish and ignorant speculations, knowing that they produce quarrels. (2 Timothy 2:22-23)

Just as your fellow servant stands in the Lord, so do you. No one and nothing has power over you if you dwell in Christ.

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

How did we get to this?  I step away from this thread for a few hrs and I come back to this. What happen?

Oh come on, I see that can opener you are holding behind your back!

1075259065_can-of-worms1.jpg.f339ef666471c3aada69ff8fcec6a81c.jpg

• Haha 2

My favorite chapter of the Proverbs addresses extremes. 

Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die:
Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:
Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.

(Proverbs 30:7-9 KJV)

The 30th chapter of Isaiah is a rebuke of the worldly, of the rebellious who hold to a form of godliness and aren't covered by God's Spirit (verse 1). "Straying to the left and to the right" is a recurring theme in God's word together with the promise that the Spirit of the Lord ("a word behind thee") will keep us on the path by making the way straight.

And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity, and the water of affliction, yet shall not thy teachers be removed into a corner any more, but thine eyes shall see thy teachers: And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left. (Isaiah 30:20-21 KJV)

The Son of God gave the Law to Moses and when He walked among us as the Word made flesh, He didn't teach a new thing: for the grace and mercy of God is revealed in the Law.

Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord. (Leviticus 19:17-18)

The fullness of this commandment being, "And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." (Mark 12:13a KJV)

If our neighbor is homosexual... Muslim... or even an atheist, we are to love them as we love ourselves. We are forbidden to exact vengeance upon any remembering the words of the Lord, "vengeance is Mine."

• Loved it! 1