bartmac123

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  453
  • Topics Per Day:  0.32
  • Content Count:  522
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

Let's try to analyze the Book of Micah by keeping in mind the historical context associated with Micah's time period.

As we read the Book of Micah, it mentions that Micah's Words are for Samaria and Jerusalem which respectively implies the Northern Israelite and Southern Judah Kingdoms.
Therefore, Micah is the prophet preaching to the 2 Jewish kingdoms.

Micah 1

1 The word of the Lord which came to Micah of Moresheth in the days of Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah, kings of Judah, which he saw concerning Samaria and Jerusalem. ...................................... ......................................................... ............................................................................

Micah 7 ...................................... ......................................................... ............................................................................ 10 Then my enemy will see, And shame will cover her who said to me, “Where is the Lord your God?” My eyes will look on her; [e]At that time she will [f]be trampled down Like mire of the streets.

Reference: https://biblehub.com/commentaries/micah/7-8.htm

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers

(8) O mine enemy.—The Hebrew word is strictly a female enemy (see Micah 7:10), and is used of enemies collectively. The cities of Babylon and Edom are probably intended. They are mentioned together in Psalms 137 : “Remember, O Lord, the children of Edom.” . . . “O Babylon, that art to be destroyed.” The fall of those cities should be final, but Jerusalem would rise again.

The use of the feminine pronoun (i.e. her) in Micah 7:10 is interesting. As the aforementioned commentary mentions that the female enemy could refer to the Ancient Israel's surrounding nations or foreign invading empires.

( Reference: https://www.quora.com/Why-are-countries-referred-to-as-she-her

National personifications, most nations have female personifications e.g. Britannia for Britain, Columbia for America (tied with “Uncle Sam”), Marianne for France, Amaterasu for Japan, Hibernia for Ireland, Mother Russia for Russia etc, because these nations have female personifications they are usually referred to as “Motherlands”, hence they are feminine. ) The only exception to this rule that I can think of is Germany, which has a female personification, Germania, but is referred to as the “Fatherland”.

Just thinking out loud, If we try to view it from today's perspective then could the use of feminine pronoun (i.e. her) in Micah 7:10 be associated with the feminism movement, proabortion movement, LGBTQ+ movement,etc.? Maybe, could the use also refer to some evil female influence over Ancient Israel's leadership like Jezebel's influence over King Ahab or even as Queen Athaliah, queen consort of Judah as the wife of King Jehoram?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

This looks like a "fill-in-the-blanks" game. Or what exactly are you attempting to convey on this topic? 

1 hour ago, bartmac123 said:

Micah 1

1 The word of the Lord which came to Micah of Moresheth in the days of Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah, kings of Judah, which he saw concerning Samaria and Jerusalem. ...................................... ......................................................... ............................................................................

Micah 7 ...................................... ......................................................... ............................................................................ 10 Then my enemy will see, And shame will cover her who said to me, “Where is the Lord your God?” My eyes will look on her; [e]At that time she will [f]be trampled down Like mire of the streets.

Analyzing the use of feminine pronoun (i.e. her) in Micah 7:10

If you are pertaining to the usage of the feminine in similarity of Jerusalem and/or Israel for instance, it has always been referred as such. And furthermore, in the terminology of the body of Christ which we are the bride as believers. 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

This looks like a "fill-in-the-blanks" game. Or what exactly are you attempting to convey on this topic? 

Analyzing the use of feminine pronoun (i.e. her) in Micah 7:10

If you are pertaining to the usage of the feminine in similarity of Jerusalem and/or Israel for instance, it has always been referred as such. And furthermore, in the terminology of the body of Christ which we are the bride as believers. 

Sorry, the "......." was used indicate that other verses in Micah between Micah 1:1 and Micah 7:10, it's just a filler (i.e., yada yada, blah blah).  The main verses that I'm relevant to this posting are Micah 7:10 and Micah 1:1.    Also, my main interest in this topic is to get a better insight as to why the feminine pronoun (i.e. her) is used in Micah 7:10 in reference to the enemy.  Furthermore, apart from the "Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers" reasoning, could we try to view it from today's perspective then could the use of feminine pronoun (i.e. her) in Micah 7:10 be associated with the feminism movement, proabortion movement, LGBTQ+ movement,etc.? Maybe, could the use also refer to some evil female influence over Ancient Israel's leadership like Jezebel's influence over King Ahab or even as Queen Athaliah, queen consort of Judah as the wife of King Jehoram?

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

14 minutes ago, bartmac123 said:

LGBTQ

There was no official movement as such in ancient times. Practices and ways of life in these areas were widely accepted in numerous heathen cultures, but I can't say this is relative to the topic. 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.72
  • Days Won:  1

Is this another "women are evil" thread?

4 hours ago, leah777 said:

Is this another "women are evil" thread?

No,  please do Not take it that way.  We always want Judges like Deborah in the Old Testament, Mary The Mother of Jesus Christ was a good woman, Priscilla labored in the service of the church, Queen Vashti honorably refused to attend the feast with intoxicated men, Queen Esther risked her life for the Jewish people in Persia, and so many more honorable women in the bible.  However, I do have a problem with today's version of feminism movement which also strongly aligns with the proabortion movement by disguising it under the euphemism of protecting women's rights to do what they want with their bodies and in some ways the feminist movement also aligns with the LGBTQ+ movement.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

I am cautious of what topics I post on. I think some topics can be stirring the pot. This is one of them. 

• Well Said! 1