How would you deal with OCD intrusive thoughts

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I am afraid of my OCD intrusive thoughts. They stem from a condition that has terrible images and thoughts pop up in your head. They're not volitional. But Buddhist tradition emphasizes that your thoughts matter with regard to reincarnation. So I am terrified by them. What would Christians say how best to deal with these intrusive thoughts? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,378
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

2 Corinthians 10:4-5 - For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ

Christians are taught to replace unGodly thoughts with God's thoughts – as revealed in Christian scripture. Christian scripture (the Bible) is our weapon against all deception; including the deceptions that creep into our own thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

On 1/12/2021 at 6:20 PM, Kili said:

What would Christians say how best to deal with these intrusive thoughts? 

Intrusive thoughts are not real, the recommended means of dealing with intrusive thoughts is to just acknowledge them, to say ' that's right or ok,'  one should not discuss, argue, ignore or suppress these thoughts.

Have a look for 25 tips for successfully treating ocd, written by a psychiatrist to help his patients and talk with your doctor/therapist about your intrusive thoughts and this article as you may need medication to help you get on top of these thoughts.

Lastly may I suggest investigating the resurrection of Jesus. Did it happen? If it didn't what evidence is there?

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,890
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

I would like to second Who me's suggestion there. Investigate the truth of the Bible and all it's claims, especially the resurrection of Jesus. The entire faith rests on the truth of that claim. The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel would be an excellent place to start (and they recently made a good movie about that book, too).

Once you see the Bible for the perfect word of God that it is, you can study it to unlock real truth and implant that into your heart and mind. When intrusive thoughts spring up, compare them then with the truth in the Bible.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

I believe that these thoughts are sent by satan to steal our joy and keep us from serving God.  So I refuse them and get my mind back on God's love for me expressed by Jesus going to the cross in my place for my sins.  When filled with praise and thanksgiving there is no room for evil thoughts.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

I suppose there are different levels and manifestation of OCD I find my slight case (I always have to arranged my groceries on the conveyor belt just so) to be some what comforting. It also helps in my business life.  

But if it is causing you problems, and disturbing your peace then by all means, kick it to the curb

2nd Corinthians 10:4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 10 months later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 1/12/2021 at 3:20 PM, Kili said:

But Buddhist tradition emphasizes that your thoughts matter with regard to reincarnation.

Pay attention only with what the Holy Scripture says.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

On 1/12/2021 at 12:20 PM, Kili said:

I am afraid of my OCD intrusive thoughts. They stem from a condition that has terrible images and thoughts pop up in your head. They're not volitional. But Buddhist tradition emphasizes that your thoughts matter with regard to reincarnation. So I am terrified by them. What would Christians say how best to deal with these intrusive thoughts? 

Even people who do NOT have OCD struggle sometimes with instrusive thoughts.  I have an occasional few times.

What my reaction was at first was to "battle" them trying so hard to get them out of my head.  All that did was ground them where they were - in  my head.

What I do now is allow them move into one ear and leave out of the other.  If it's an ugly thought, I pray,  "Lord, you know this is not who I am. "

I have them MUCH less now - almost none.  Giving them attention gives them power.  God KNOWS this is not you.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Since people are still answering this question, try the advice given to us in Philippians 4:8

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

On 1/12/2021 at 10:20 AM, Kili said:

Are you a Buddhist? You have recognized that you have a problem. That is 50% of dealing with the illness. First of all I would go to God and ask Him to guide and direct me in this illness.  I would go to a really good Christian Psychologist and have it diagnosed. You may need to go on a medication. There are several ways of dealing with it but you will not be able to do that on your own. 

Edited by missmuffet