IGNORED

Is it wise to query a pastors Biblical understanding?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Is it wise to  query a pastors Biblical understanding?

An ordained pastor is using feelings vs. using the Bible to counsel a friend who in my understanding is not repenting for some serious sin. The pastor  is saying that since everyone appears to be ok emotionally than  just move forward and not worry about the prior and ongoing sin.

Im considering talking or emailing the pastor that I have not met to ask if he is aware or recommends these  xyz Scriptures.  It may not convince him as he appears to be a selective Christian who picks and choose which laws/rules of God apply.

Am I wasting my time or should I just pray and let God work it out.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

8 minutes ago, wombat said:

What is your friend's take on the matter?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

3 hours ago, wombat said:

An ordained pastor is using feelings vs. using the Bible to counsel a friend who in my understanding is not repenting for some serious sin. The pastor  is saying that since everyone appears to be ok emotionally than  just move forward and not worry about the prior and ongoing sin.

Im considering talking or emailing the pastor that I have not met to ask if he is aware or recommends these  xyz Scriptures.  It may not convince him as he appears to be a selective Christian who picks and choose which laws/rules of God apply.

There are some really bad pastors out there, as well as some really good ones. You may have no peace till you talk to him about this, and you might find his answer totally unsatisfactory.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I'd start off by asking the pastor where in scripture can you find that "since everyone appears to be ok emotionally than  just move forward and not worry about the prior and ongoing sin", assuming that was their exact words.  Be sure you are addressing their exact statement and not a paraphrase of what they said.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,378
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi Wombat,

My first advice would be to seek the Holy Spirit's guidance. Do not move without God. If the minister is your friend's Pastor, then the minister has an accountability to God for your friend's welfare - which is not our place to undermine. Then we commit the offence of dissension.

If you do decide you need to get involved, do not set yourself against the Pastor. Instead, approach the situation from a posture of humility. E.g. 'I wonder if [insert your concerns here] might also be an issue that needs dealing with', or 'When the Pastor advised that course of action, was he/she aware of these issues in your life?' etc.

Be careful not to judge the Pastor. Unless you were privy to the conversation, you do not have enough information to make such determinations. It could be your friend that is being "selective" in their understanding of what was said, or in what in what they are relaying to you. You also do not know that the Holy Spirit hasn't given the Pastor a strategy that is specific to your friend's circumstances (maybe there are things about your friend that only God knows - e.g. that demand a more delicate approach be used).

Absolutely continue to "pray". Pray for your friend. Pray for the Pastor. Pray for yourself - in case your perspective is incorrect. Trust and thank God that He both hears and answers prayer, and has His hand on the situation.

• Well Said! 1

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  6,894
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Do it in love and privately, but yes do it I would say. We are called to loving try to bring brothers and sisters back when they have strayed, or when we see clear sin in their lives (after we have examined our own hearts for needed cleaning). And a pastor is in a position to do much more harm than most. It is absolutely important and wise.

In all of it of course continue to reach out to your friend too. If the pastor will not bring scripture to bear, then who will? Someone must. It seems like perhaps God has chosen you to be the messenger your friend needs to hear from.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

On 2/25/2021 at 5:23 PM, wombat said:

Is this your pastor? If not how do you know he is willing to talk about his counselling.

May I suggest that you talk to your friend and gently explain that sin needs to be repented of and stopped.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

On 2/25/2021 at 9:23 AM, wombat said:

Oh boy that is a slippery slope. You need to be very careful. If you were to do anything, you could email him the scriptures, with no explanation, no commentary, don't tell him what or wh0 it about...just the scriptures. Then if he asks, there might be a chance to help. If he doesn't ask, then the word did not move him, and if it can't move him, you surely can't.

Edited by Riverwalker

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

On 2/25/2021 at 9:23 AM, wombat said:

The Pastor is wrong. There are many Pastors that are wrong. Perhaps it is best to pray for this person. 

• Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.50
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

4 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Not to embolden antagonistic little imps who go around fact checking every misspoken word

This is not necessary.