LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

It seems my first work issue has arrived. First off I am working in a grocery store as a cashier. I had 3 days of on the job training and am now on my second week of work. They record how many items you ring a minute.  Yesterday I got a note  showing I am ringing 9 items a minute and that they require me to ring 16 a minute.  Since this is a grocery store many of the produce items do not have bar cods. But PLU numbers that are listing on a paper and I have to find the item on the paper and punch in its four numbers to ring it up. Most of the other workers have these numbers memorized since they have been there for so long. I have about 4 or 5 that I know at this time.  I am being so careful about making sure I ring up orders right ( not double scanning that sort of thing) so not to make voids.  Anyway all my other cashier jobs had no requirement on how fast your rung up the items. They had stuff like how accurate your scanning was. Accurate money counting. How many voids you avoided having and if you were being helpful and nice to the customers. So I guess at this point all I can do is the best that I can and see if it gets better. 

Thanks for listing. 

Edited by LadyKay
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

3 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

So I guess at this point all I can do is the best that I can and see if it gets better. 

You are a clever lady. You will do just fine. Relax and do your best and do not sweat it. Blessings.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

29 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

It seems my first work issue has arrived. First off I am working in a grocery store as a cashier. I had 3 days of on the job training and am now on my second week of work. They record how many items you ring a minute.  Yesterday I got a note  showing I am ringing 9 items a minute and that they require me to ring 16 a minute.  Since this is a grocery store many of the produce items do not have bar cods. But PLU numbers that are listing on a paper and I have to find the item on the paper and punch in its four numbers to ring it up. Most of the other workers have these numbers memorized since they have been there for so long. I have about 4 or 5 that I know at this time.  I am being so careful about making sure I ring up orders right ( not double scanning that sort of thing) so not to make voids.  Anyway all my other cashier jobs had no requirement on how fast your rung up the items. They had stuff like how accurate your scanning was. Accurate money counting. How many voids you avoided having and if you were being helpful and nice to the customers. So I guess at this point all I can do is the best that I can and see if it gets better. 

Thanks for listing. 

Will be praying for you.  Will they let you take the plu list home to try and memorize it? at least the most common items?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  1

My daughter works at a local grocery store. I should ask if they monitor things like that. It's a smaller chain store in a small town, so probably not. There are some really slow cashiers at the other grocery store in town.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

6 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Thanks for listing. 

I would think it's a little early for you to be expected to have as many rings per minute as those who have been on the job longer.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  477
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,560
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

Dont worry speed will come after time. If they say anything dont let it bother you. The world will not end

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

23 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Yesterday I got a note  showing I am ringing 9 items a minute

Just having the knowledge of needing to speed up will make you subconsciously speed up a little and remembering the numbers of the meat will help also.   Unless they are telling you to get to the target speed immediately, you really shouldn't worry about it....   just don't panic and start making mistakes...   they are wanting about 4 seconds a scan and you are doing between six and seven.   I don't think I ever really paid attention to the speed of scanning...      

Just knowing speed is important will probably take care of the problem.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

It may have just been a friendly reminder of what speed is expected as opposed to a warning to "step it up, girl." OTOH, you may just be the victim of a poor manager. It happens. Some are VERY old school and only know about the stick. Nobody ever told them about the carrot. There is a LOT more to being a cashier than just raw speed. It's one of many factors that make one valuable to the company and customer.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  537
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

The store I go to is a friendly neighborhood box grocery store. The cashiers are friendly, so are the managers, and will stop and talk to you while scanning, so I don't think they check their speed.

Seems like the store puts it's emphasis on friendliness not speed. I like that. I'm never in a hurry and enjoy visiting.

Edited by Arrabon

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Just do hour best and go with it. Can you move the plu list somewhere you can see it easier to find it? Obviously we should always do our best and try to improve at the job were doing, if we so our best and it isnt "good enough" for them then maybe it isnt the job for you anyway.