ArmsOpenWide

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I'm looking for your scripturally backed opinions on whether the Bible condones self-defense (especially use of deadly force in self-defense or defense of one's family)

There are some who say the Bible would support defending oneself against, say, an invader or somebody trying to kill you. Others would say that no, we should never use violence to defend ourselves because God is our defense.

What's your take? I'm also looking for scriptures that support different points of view.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

You may want to use the search box with the term "self defense" including the quotes to bring up previous posts on this much debated subject.

There have been folks who posted inquiries like this with an agenda in the past, then called everyone a heretic that didn't share their particular view on the subject. That lead to things getting personal and the thread(s) being locked. Pleased debate the subject, not the person. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,353
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

58 minutes ago, ArmsOpenWide said:

I'm looking for your scripturally backed opinions on whether the Bible condones self-defense (especially use of deadly force in self-defense or defense of one's family)

There are some who say the Bible would support defending oneself against, say, an invader or somebody trying to kill you. Others would say that no, we should never use violence to defend ourselves because God is our defense.

What's your take? I'm also looking for scriptures that support different points of view.

We are to pattern our lives like Jesus' .... so how did He handle it?

• Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  360
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Eccl 3:1-3

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  A time to be born, and a time to die.  A time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted.  A TIME TO KILL, AND A TIME TO HEAL.  A time to break down, and a time to build up.

I beleive that war, self defense, and defense of others, are times to kill.  I am a retired Marine.  I have killed enemy soldiers.  It's not pleasant, but it's necessary to defend countrymen, family, and friends who are unable or unwilling to defend themselves.  And it entails putting your own life at risk.

King David was a man after God's own heart, and he killed the enemies of Israel, beginning with Goliath of the philistines when he was still a boy.

1 Sam 18:7

And the women answered one another as they played, and said, Saul hath slain his thousands , and David his tens of thousands.

Before David fights his battles he asks for God's guidance and help, knowing that the battle is actually his.

2 Sam 5:19

And David enquired of the Lord, saying, Shall I go up to the philistines?  Wilt thou deliver them into mine hand?  And the Lord said unto David, Go up, for I will doubtless deliver the philistines into thine hand.

In the KJV you will see, thou shalt not kill, as one of the ten commandments.  The Hebrew word for kill here is ratsach, which means to murder.  In the NKJV, and most modern versions of the Bible the word, murder replaces the word kill as a more accurate translation of the Hebrew.

Murder is unacceptable to God.  Killing, however is not automatically synonymous with murder.  And there is a time to kill.

Jesus said to love your neighbor AS YOURSELF.  This presupposes that we do love ourselves, family, and friends.  Not in a prideful way, but in a basic way.  And nothing is more basic than life itself.  When Jesus says whoever loves his life in this world will lose it, he is talking about carnality, worldliness, and pride, which are the source of sin.  But if you truly love God, your neighbor, and even just yourself, you will defend them.  Jesus gave his life for us.  He didn't kill people who resisted him, like Mohammed, because the first advent was about saving mankind.  The Second Advent will be a little bit different.

Rev 14:19

And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.

God creates the seasons and times.  It's up to us to follow him in all seasons and all times.  Not all times will be easy.  And there are some very difficult times on the horizon.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,250
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

16 hours ago, ArmsOpenWide said:

I've been mugged twice when I was unarmed.....    I've spoiled at least three muggings by being armed.  Once I most likely would have died.   Oddly I didn't harm anyone, but if pushed I would have and they knew it.

We can quote scriptures back and forth all night and it has been done here many times since I got here in 2003.  

1 Timothy tells  us that one that does not provide for his family is worse than an infidel or something like that.   Providing for one's family also includes safety.   There are other places but at the moment I don't have exact locations in memory.  You should be able to search and find some in-depth threads on the subject.

All I can tell you for sure that if you come to my house to do harm to my family, one of us is going to be seriously hurt and I'll do everything in my power to make sure it isn't me.....    but I will not set out to kill you, just stop you from what you are doing, but if you die.....   so be it; I'll sleep well.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  478
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,565
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

Jesus said to his disicplies to buy swords. What is a sword for ? Self defence i would say. Its ok to protect ones family and self or others. But not to hurt others just because your angry thats not self defence.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,873
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

8 hours ago, ArmsOpenWide said:

Here’s one but doesn’t exactly mentions killing wicked people to help others escape but there are scenarios that may very well justify such actions.

Psalm 82:4 “Rescue weak and needy people. Help them escape the power of wicked people.”

Edited by BeyondET
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,713
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

The Bible is full of examples of self defense-as well as it being spelled out in the law, that it is allowed in certain circumstances. I can go into all the scriptures, but it would just bring forth an argument so I will just leave my opinion, based upon my understanding.

It is allowed. up to and including lethal force. Where I would use it depends on the situation. I would never use lethal force to defend property. If someone wants my TV or my wallet, and I know thats all they are after they can have it. 

If its just me involved and its about my faith-someone has a gun to my head and demands I deny Christ or die-I will probably let them shoot me. Im not going to shoot someone in the name of Jesus.

If they are threatening my family, I will defend them at all costs including lethal force. Because I believe the Bible gives me the responsibility to protect and defend my family.

If they are threatening my life for non religions reasons I will defend myself up to and including lethal force, for the same reason-it is my responsibility to protect and defend my family, and I cannot do so if I am dead.

If I come upon someone trying to hurt or kill an innocent-like a rape, or a mass shooter, I will use whatever force is necessary to stop them. The Bible calls us to love and protect the innocent.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,353
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

1 hour ago, Josheb said:

The same Jesus who went to the cross like a lamb to slaughter will return with a sword in his mouth to slaughter. The same God who provided salvation by crushing His own Son incinerated Sodom out of existence and then said it will go better for Sodom than for certain others. Jesus should not be used selectively.

It must be rightly divided for He has not taken the earth back yet as satan is still the prince of the power of the air for now...

John 18:36

36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
KJV

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  2

Greetings,

It is a practical question.

I think it is important, to put everything into context.

We know God flooded the earth, and took the lives everyone’s except for the 8 in the ark.

We know throughout the bible, at different times God has taken people’s lives.

We know in the first covenant; God’s people battled and went to war against other nations outside of the covenant.

We know God said not to kill, which is in the context is do not murder unless it is in war or in violation of the 613 statutes.

So, it is clear that God took people’s lives, and permitted his people to lawfully take people’s lives at different times.

Under the new covenant, we are encouraged to walk in the Spirit, be fruitful and be more Christlike etc.

However, we are all at different stages in our personal relationship with Jesus we have the free will to make our own choices.

I think if one decides to defend himself, and another decides to rely on Jesus for protection it is the decision of the believer.

I believe they both have to except the responsibilities and repercussions of their decisions in everything they do.

I think the teachings of Jesus are usually experienced by the trial and error of the believer, and this is what helps the believer to learn grow and transform.   

Edited by Aries2020
  • Thanks 1