• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,879
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

After running into one last night online, I realize I have just a very basic understanding of the heresies of Jehovah's Witnesses. And, given their activities, it likely won't be the last time I run into one.

I'm looking for good resources, particularly those available online, so I can get some training in how to witness effectively to JWs. Any suggestions of resources would be great, and any comments from anyone who has had encounters and your methods would be welcome as well.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

10 hours ago, BK1110 said:

After running into one last night online, I realize I have just a very basic understanding of the heresies of Jehovah's Witnesses. And, given their activities, it likely won't be the last time I run into one.

I'm looking for good resources, particularly those available online, so I can get some training in how to witness effectively to JWs. Any suggestions of resources would be great, and any comments from anyone who has had encounters and your methods would be welcome as well.

I use a book called The Kingdom of the Cults by Walter Martin for the most part.  This book offers solid historical information on what many "religions" believe.  From there, you can find the right scripture to show their error, which they also provide in the book.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

36 minutes ago, Patrick21 said:

Is this not spreading discord by challenging them about their beliefs?

How can someone correct a wrong if they are afraid more about what others think of them than they do the truth?

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Patrick21 said:

Is this not spreading discord by challenging them about their beliefs?

It's witnessing to non-believers. Unless I'm gravely mistaken, among other heresies, JW's deny the deity of Christ. They are not saved.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, BK1110 said:

I can get some training in how to witness effectively to JWs.

Just two suggestions.

To learn what they believe and why, knowing key verses etc  is not the way to challenge them.

To think, how does there barrage of verses and explanations affect you? Do they make you want to be a JW or just make you more resistant .

So why should your demolition of what they believe have any different effect on them.

The key is not to drive them into a corner but to leave them with 'thought bombs' that when they start thinking about them they start undoing their beliefs themselves.

To ask them ,' have you done what 2 Cr 13:5 says?  and move on to the main discussion, letting them at their leasure read it and think about it.

In an online discussion you don't have to be seen to have the last word.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Patrick21 said:

Is telling the truth more important than getting along with people?

"Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good? But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil." -- 1 Peter 3:13-17

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me." -- Matthew 10:34-38

We are indeed to treat people well, but that does not mean we do away with truth. The New Testament talks about peace and respect among the brethren incredibly frequently, but even then there are numerous passages detailing how we should approach a Christian brother or sister to help them when we see them in sin. How much more so those who are not brothers and sisters, but perishing souls far from God?

If we allow those who are perishing to simply continue on their way to hell without warning them, we are not loving them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

6 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Yes, just as Jesus did!  Truth, spoken in love, creates relationships.  Colossians 4:6 tells us ...

Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.

In another thread of yours, I provided the following in hopes that scripture would help you understand when taken to heart.

Ephesians 4:25-32

Therefore, putting away lying, “Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,” for we are members of one another.  “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil.  Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need.  Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.  And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.  Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice.  And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

Words of wisdom....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

Witnesses are no different than most except for their clinging to annihilationism (no Hell for unbelievers) and except for their refusal to interpret the Bible for themselves (almost 100% of Watchtower teachings include official Watchtower intrepretation).

Keep it simple:

1) Are you 100% sure of eternal life? (no JW can be since they base on works)

2) Did you know the Bible shows Jesus died and rose to perfect imperfect people and we must trust HIM rather than our works?

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/4/2021 at 2:24 PM, OneLight said:

I use a book called The Kingdom of the Cults by Walter Martin for the most part.  This book offers solid historical information on what many "religions" believe.  From there, you can find the right scripture to show their error, which they also provide in the book.

Yep - Great old resource for understanding the basics of the most prominent cults, and how their beliefs contradict Biblical principles.