ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Sometimes I like to read different versions of the bible. I am currently interested in the MEV and NET versions. Does anyone know anything about these versions? I read the brief blips on biblegateway but that doesnt tell me too much about their integrity. After all, biblegateway also has the message bible, a version I personally think is horrible.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

have not heard of mev, but have read net.  the net bible is good

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

MEV boasts as a literal translation using the KJV as the base manuscript attempting to modernize the language and make it readable.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Content Count:  7,023
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

57 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Sometimes I like to read different versions of the bible. I am currently interested in the MEV and NET versions. Does anyone know anything about these versions? I read the brief blips on biblegateway but that doesnt tell me too much about their integrity. After all, biblegateway also has the message bible, a version I personally think is horrible.

The Modern English Version (MEV) has been around since 2014. It seems to be an update of the New King James Version (NKJV) which is a stalwart I like.

For edification and excitement I use the BibleGateway & BibleHub apps to bring up all the comparisons in the alphabetical smorgasbord of Bible Versions that we are blessed with. So comparing MEV with NET we have this:

MEV. Ecclesiastes 3:11 

He has made everything beautiful in its appropriate time. He has also put obscurity in their hearts so that no one comes to know the work that God has done from the beginning to the end.
NET. Ecclesiastes 3:11
 God has made everything fit beautifully[a] in its appropriate time,
but[b] he has also placed ignorance[c] in the human heart[d]
so that[e] people[f] cannot discover what God has ordained,[g]
from the beginning to the end[h] of their lives.[i]

Now if you want to feast on footnotes this one verse alone has 9 of them in the apparatus that comes with the NET. . . Bible Study heaven for some of us.

Happy Days.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

5 hours ago, ayin jade said:

I am currently interested in the MEV and NET versions. Does anyone know anything about these versions?

From what I have rea and heard, I think it depends on whether you accept the Alexandrian texts or not.   I still research with the 1963 NASB for it is accepted as being the closest word for word translation.    But it is a Textus Receptus translation as I understand it.  And there are differences in the Alexandrian texts. Some accept those and some do not.   Between the two I would use the MEV, but have not spent that much time looking into all of it to see the differences between that and the early NASB's.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

I would get the NET for the study notes.  It explains the reasons the translators chose to translate the words the way they did.  It would be a good study Bible.  However, Nelson's bibles don't hold up well in most cases, especially large study Bibles.  They need to be Smyth sown bindings to last long, not just glued.  In years past they only glued their Bibles.  I even called Nelson to ask for a sewn Bible.

MEV seems to be conservative yet making it more readable.  It spends a lot of time on spiritual warfare in its notes.  I would give it to new Christians but for that.  They need it but don't need to be scared or focusing on the enemy.  They included "rules for spiritual warfare" as one study note. Things like "don't talk to the devil".  

I don't have either Bible but just read the pages given of each on the Christianbook site in their Bibles for sale.  I recommend that you do the same.