IGNORED

Should marriage be a legal right ? What happens if someone leaves you, Wrongs you, Or leaves you with nothing ? Then What ?

believeinHim

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/25/2022 at 10:48 PM, believeinHim said:

Should marriage be a legal righ

What do you mean by 'legal right' ?

Rights are balanced by ' duties ', so if one person has a right to be married, then someone else has a ' duty ' to marry them!

Or are you talking anout the requirement to get married in a legaly recognised way?

In simpler societies marriage was merely a socially recognised eventy. A couple declared at a gatheing that they were married and there was a giving of gifts and a party.

Because there was little opertunity to leave and everybody knew everybody, it was hard to abandon a wife.

In todays society, a couple who court, prepare for marriage over a period of several years and who share a faith are more likely to stay to gether.

Couples that live together then marry are more likely to separate. 

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  431
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,205
  • Content Per Day:  2.08

My point is that I have stayed as far away from sexual immorality that a Millennial can possibly stay away from.

If I do, Which I do not now, Have social media, I will have no friends. I did have social media, Unaware of the dangers and that is as far as I ever went with it. I have never ~ Will never ~ Would never ~ And will still never, Ever, Be with a man physically before marriage, Nor live with him, either.

The man that I was friends with on Facebook, And am still {sort of}, Wondering if we are in communication, Is now also seeing a Nurse Practitioner ~To which I have been curious and suspicious if needs to happen for a long time now. No, We have not lived together. We have actually barely spoken until he told me to write to him what's on my mind. That's all. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the point of the thread, Aside from personal ~ The point of the thread is that should marriage be a legal recognized right, Or should it get back to the church.

The Supreme Court has already took up stuff like this, or said that they would, And Clarence Justice Thomas has also said he was looking at it.

Does marriage belong in the church, Or does marriage belong in the federal government. That is my question. {Aside from personal}.

Edited by believeinHim

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Hi there BiH

It's a tough question ( for me anyway) because of all the reasons everyone has mentioned,which in reality has more to do with divorce &/or separation than it has to do with the marriage- imo

After all,the only difference I could see between having a marriage legalized by State or legitamatized by the church would be in the event the 2 go their own way. Married or unmarried legally both parties could put whatever they like under both names,they can claim one or the other as a dependant & as a beneficiary....

Personally I would like to see people have a marriage certificate only( by church or whoever officiates) without a State license & that be the only requirement - I see the " license" part about revenue for City/State and don't like that a marriage ceremony is illegitimate without a license to marry-know what I mean?

Edited by kwikphilly
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.55
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

What is marriage according to scripture?

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

On 7/27/2022 at 10:06 PM, JohnD said:

Marriage can be the second best thing to ever happen to you (the first is being saved by Jesus Christ). ← which definitely is the case with me.

Not directly addressing you John- Marriage can also be hell on earth all depending. This is why people should really think things through before they jump into it. Too many people see only rainbows and miss the sewer.

When a marriage happens two people are building something together, a relationship, a family, a life. Not unlike a wood and nails building. Imagine a construction that absolutely REQUIRES two carpenters to complete. Only these two carpenters know how the building should go up. Now imagine the building is almost complete and one of the carpenters quits. Understandably the other carpenter is very upset because now all of that work, all of that building has to stop. Since he needed that other carpenter,  another won't do, the building is forever left incomplete. One person has greatly affected two people and a whole family. Turns out the other carpenter just grew bored and met another carpenter they liked better thinking it would improve their life. What that carpenter failed to realize is, no other carpenter was going to make them happy. The sad ending is a disassembled family and assets, sometimes all over someone who was just too self centered to see that buildings require WORK and sometimes that work isn't easy.

Marriage is no longer only about YOU it's about US. Even the best marriages take work and some measure of grace to the other person.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,466
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Should marriage be a legal right? The Bible has much to say on that subject and addresses each issue mentioned. It seems that if we are not unequally “yoked,” we are one flesh in one accord, and the Lord is three individual Persons in One God. Should man and wife (a couple) be one?

Genesis 2:24 (KJV) Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

A prenuptial (relating to events before marriage) is divided, not one accord or flesh.

The Lord ordained marriage, the people desired a legal way for a bill of divorcement, and God, through Moses, granted limited reasons for divorce.

God ordained matrimony, and government and man have no right to grant, regulate, and administer Holy matrimony. In our day, it is the church. Our Lord didn’t sacredly ordain marriage between Adam & Steve to be fruitful and multiply.

In my opinion, the government has no right to dictate to the family, child-rearing, education, marriage, or the church.

Our government has far exceeded its authority granted by the Constitution, perverting holy matrimony between one man and one woman, turning morality upside down in the name of legal rights.

Right or wrong, those are my thoughts and opinion.

• Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.91
  • Days Won:  64

Well, if a churches were to regulate it they would also have to cooperate and have a databank with all marriages etc.  

Who would do this?  Who would be responsible?  Which denomination?

Remember there are also wolves in with the sheep sometimes and people move around quite a bit. 

They needed a written bill or divorcement so makes sense to get one to get married to me.  Also, for the Jewish people they kept 

records at the temple and the temple made judgements (not sure who at temple did this).

Marriage as God intended is for life but even among christians this is not always the case.  (Sad but true). 

Marriage in the New Testament was a formal affair with witnesses etc. 

Need more coffee.. my morning thoughts https://worthychristianforums-h45go6maxh5rpepgu.netdna-ssl.com/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png

In the OT the Jewish peoples property stayed (was supposed to) with the family if sold was supposed to be returned at Jubilee time.  (Please correct me if I am wrong). In our day things are complicated and property is not handled like this so not the same.   

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 7/26/2022 at 11:34 AM, believeinHim said:

Millennials are not Christian. Neither is Generation X, Or Generation Z. 75% of them are not Christians. My father's age is out of the question. :noidea:

It narrows my options, That's for certain. And I think I just derailed the thread. 

Only God knows the heart and if someone is a true Christian. 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,039
  • Content Per Day:  1.62

Since marriage was created by God, I believe it is a right. I also believe that it should require 2 person consent to divorce just like it does to marry. In the event of a divorce, money and children should be shared EXACTLY 50/50, something that is not done today. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

On 7/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, believeinHim said:

Should marriage be a legal right ?

Jesus says divorce is because of the hardness of people's hearts. Matthew 19:8. I have read what everyone everywhere says about divorce. I think we need to start with what Jesus says about the heart. 

• Thumbs Up 2