Who Was Matthew 6 Addressed To?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I have been reading Matthew 6:25-34 today. When Jesus said do not worry about what you eat and what you wear etc, am I correct in saying that this was addressed to believers?

Because if you interpret it as being addressed to everyone, then you can make all kinds of arguments on how many people in the world today are starving, and if so how could Jesus make a statement like this?

So would it be correct to say that this was for believers? If so, have you ever heard of a believer who genuinely sought God and was ultimately left without food or clothing? I personally have not, but wanted to get other opinions.

Thanks

Edited by Open7

• Open7 changed the title to Who Was Matthew 6 Addressed To?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

41 minutes ago, Open7 said:

have been reading Matthew 6:25-34 today. When Jesus said do not worry about what you eat and what you wear etc, am I correct in saying that this was addressed to believers?

Take another look at your bible.

Matthew chapters 5 -7 are the sermon on the mount, given by Jesus to Jewish people who were curiose about what he was teaching.

As for believers left without food etc, please start following the charity Open doors' and investigate what is happening to Christians in North Korea, or in Somalia.

Having done your investigation, report back to your church, ask for a slot to report to the church one Sunday on the perscuted church in North Korea and encourage them to pray for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

4 hours ago, Open7 said:

So would it be correct to say that this was for believers? If so, have you ever heard of a believer who genuinely sought God and was ultimately left without food or clothing? I personally have not, but wanted to get other opinions.

The parallel passage in Luke answers your question:

Luke 12:22 Then He said to His disciples, “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; nor about the body, what you will put on.

Disciples are ones who follow a master's teachings.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,205
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

8 hours ago, Open7 said:

I have been reading Matthew 6:25-34 today. When Jesus said do not worry about what you eat and what you wear etc, am I correct in saying that this was addressed to believers?

Because if you interpret it as being addressed to everyone, then you can make all kinds of arguments on how many people in the world today are starving, and if so how could Jesus make a statement like this?

Thanks

Hi Open,

Good question. As `Who me,` said it was addressed to the Jews. Then when Jesus ascended He taught His Body also to `worry not, doubt not and to fear not.` It doesn`t mean we don`t attend to those things, but that we are not to focus on them and `worry` about such things.

`....casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.` (1 Peter 5: 7) (cares, worry, anxious thoughts etc)

Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

20 hours ago, Open7 said:

Thanks

TITHING believers have a promise that they'll have adequate food and clothes. This was true for born agains through the Depression, the Holocaust, etc. 

YES, born again believers.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Hi all, I have been listening to a great answer to this question from John Piper, and it has changed the way I look at these verses, I found it very helpful, here’s the link if anyone wants it, thanks all

https://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/does-god-promise-to-feed-and-clothe-christians

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

21 hours ago, Open7 said:

Thanks

it seems you're skipping over:

Mat 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

and the subject starts back at v 19 the Lord is telling you what is more important and why.

• This is Worthy 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Hebrews 9:16–17 (KJV)
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

Jesus did not die until Matthew 27:50.

The Old Covenant Law of Moses was still in effect until then. And the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew chapters 5,6,and 7)

were under the Law and about the Law.

Now the Old Covenant has always contained predictive prophecies about the New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34 / Isaiah 54:9-10 / etc)

but in the Sermon on the Mount Jesus was putting the teeth back into the Law the religious leaders had removed to prove to humanity that

it is a futile pursuit to try to live up to God's standards.

Isaiah 64:6 (KJV)
6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Those filthy rags (in the Hebrew) were about the most despicable thing to ancient man (Genesis 31:34-35).

Our [righteousnesses] = used menstrual cloths. 

The futility of keeping the Law is to drive us to seek the LORD's Grace instead:

Galatians 3:24–25 (KJV)
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Ephesians 2:8–10 (KJV)
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

John 16:27 (KJV)
27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

Notice the laundry list in the Sermon on the Mount required to get forgiveness:

• never looking upon a woman with lust
  • forgiving everyone or God won't forgive you
  • have righteousness exceeding the Pharisees
  • never being angry with your brother

Grace is believing in the Lord Jesus Christ period.

John 3:16-18 / John 6:29...

Don't make the mistake of bringing Old Covenant Law into New Testament Grace. 

Jesus said his yoke is easy his burden is light.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

On 8/2/2022 at 12:39 PM, Open7 said:

yes

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 8/2/2022 at 12:39 PM, Open7 said:

Thanks

Believers who TITHE do not starve. Period.