IGNORED

Does God respect religious tolerance toward other religions ?

R. Hartono

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,418
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Starise said:

One thing that seems to be getting lost in the translation for the word tolerance in popular culture is that "tolerance" does not mean agreement and it doesn't have to mean acceptance if said acceptance means I have to make concessions for my belief. We can accept people but firmly disagree with their lifestyle or beliefs. Accepting a person does not mean I agree with what they teach or believe or do.

I'm fully on board with this. Having spent a lot of my time around people who take "Love your neighbor as yourself" as a blanket argument to excuse their favorite sins and as a shield against scriptural criticism I'm a bit sick of tolerance as it's taken to mean at present. But to add a bit...

Jesus didn't really deal with people of other religions so much. His mission was more the cross and interacting with the Jews and to a lesser extent the Romans. We can see that He was courteous enough based on the Samaritan woman and the centurion, but their whatever religious beliefs they may or may not have held weren't really brought up. IMO the closest thing we have to it is when He started flipping tables in the temple because people had perverted its use for their own gain. We see Simon in Acts 8 trying to buy the power of God, which falls into a similar category.

Another point of interest to me is that when Jesus lays down the protocol for what to do when a brother sins against us. If after approaching him quietly, taking two or three others, and then bringing the matter before the church the person remains hardheaded Jesus said to treat them like a pagan or a tax collector. This indicates that to the Jews at the time there were certain courtesies and traditions you didn't have to extend to outsiders. Jesus still gave those people the time of day and ministered to them where it was productive, but nowhere does He condone their bad behaviors.

Looking at other NT examples Paul preached the gospel in places where it offended the locals (the silversmiths). The people worshiping the unknown god may well have been offended as the message Paul brought. The Old Testament stance on other religions is very clear and is more like zero tolerance. So overall I don't feel like there's a Biblical case for religious tolerance as it's thought of in modern western culture.

Edited by AnOrangeCat

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,126
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

2 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

I'm fully on board with this. Having spent a lot of my time around people who take "Love your neighbor as yourself" as a blanket argument to excuse their favorite sins and as a shield against scriptural criticism I'm a bit sick of tolerance as it's taken to mean at present. But to add a bit...

Jesus didn't really deal with people of other religions so much. His mission was more the cross and interacting with the Jews and to a lesser extent the Romans. We can see that He was courteous enough based on the Samaritan woman and the centurion, but their whatever religious beliefs they may or may not have held weren't really brought up. IMO the closest thing we have to it is when He started flipping tables in the temple because people had perverted its use for their own gain. We see Simon in Acts 8 trying to buy the power of God, which falls into a similar category.

Another point of interest to me is that when Jesus lays down the protocol for what to do when a brother sins against us. If after approaching him quietly, taking two or three others, and then bringing the matter before the church the person remains hardheaded Jesus said to treat them like a pagan or a tax collector. This indicates that to the Jews at the time there were certain courtesies and traditions you didn't have to extend to outsiders. Jesus still gave those people the time of day and ministered to them where it was productive, but nowhere does He condone their bad behaviors.

Looking at other NT examples Paul preached the gospel in places where it offended the locals (the silversmiths). The people worshiping the unknown god may well have been offended as the message Paul brought. The Old Testament stance on other religions is very clear and is more like zero tolerance. So overall I don't feel like there's a Biblical case for religious tolerance as it's thought of in modern western culture.

Interesting points on Jesus's ministry while here on earth. I believe the Samaritan woman points us to the segue into the Gentiles. Jesus ministered to them and she is one of the examples we are told of making is very clear that all men and women are the objects of God's love.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Thou shall have no other Gods Before Me

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

12 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

I dont mean to become a stumbling stone with this question that can make you fall.

There are hundreds of religions/beliefs in this world.

Does the God of the Bible respect religious tolerance ? That He letteth it ?

Most religions follow the golden rule. Jesus tells us a :  " servant who knows his master’s will but does not get ready or follow his instructions will be beaten with many blows. 48 But the one who unknowingly does things worthy of punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and from him who has been entrusted with much, even more will be demanded." Luke 12

Most people I know talk about religion of doing good works to try to please God. Then they talk about actually knowing God and having a personal relationship with Him. I think it is better to be a good person and even better to know God. 

• Praise God! 1

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Starise said:

Interesting points on Jesus's ministry while here on earth. I believe the Samaritan woman points us to the segue into the Gentiles. Jesus ministered to them and she is one of the examples we are told of making is very clear that all men and women are the objects of God's love.

Samaritans are actually Israelites (not gentiles) they belonged to the northern Kingdom of Israel.  Jews did not consider them Jews because they had their own worship sites had their own version of the Torah. In fact, Jews detested them and would not have anything to do with them.  This is why the women at the well and his disciples were surprised that Jesus would talk to a Samaritan.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Samaritans.html

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  775
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.05

8 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

Thou shall have no other Gods Before Me

Should God let other religions for mankind ? Why He doesnt stop them.

@Selah7

@missmuffet 

@Jedi4Yahweh 

@JohnR7  

@AnOrangeCat 

@Starise 

@Who me 

@Your closest friendnt

Edited by R. Hartono

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

1 minute ago, R. Hartono said:

Should God let other religions for mankind ? 

@missmuffet 

@Jedi4Yahweh 

@JohnR7  

@AnOrangeCat 

@Starise

"Should God let other religions for mankind ? "

I did not understand the above words you posted. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  775
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.05

6 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

"Should God let other religions for mankind ? "

I did not understand the above words you posted. 

God can stop other religions if thats not right cant He ?

Edited by R. Hartono

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Might as well ask why He didnt stop adam and eve. 

Sin abounds but He gave us a way to be saved.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,418
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

2 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

Should God let other religions for mankind ? Why He doesnt stop them.

I agree with ayin jade. God allows a lot of sin and evil to exist, but it won't go on forever.