• Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

16 hours ago, missmuffet said:

What is the prize? :)

Philippians 3:13-14 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.56
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, Alive said:

Ha! I play and sing that song.

STREETS OF LONDON

Ralph McTell

capo: 2nd fret

C

Have you seen the old man, in the closed-down market

picking up the papers, with his worn-out shoes?

In his eyes you see no pride, and held loosely by his side

yesterday's papers, telling yesterday's news

CHORUS:

F

So how can you tell me, you're lo-ne-ly

and say for you that the sun don't shine?

Let me take you by the hand, and lead you through the streets of London      

I'll show you something, to make you change your mind

Have you seen the old gal, who walks the streets of London

dirt in her hair, and her clothes in rags?

She's no time for talking, she just keeps right on walking

Carrying her home, in two carrier bags

Repeat Chorus

And in the all-night cafe, at a quarter past eleven

some old man sitting there, all on his own

Looking at the world, over the rim of his tea-cup

Each cup lasts an hour, then he wanders home alone

Repeat Chorus

And have you seen the old man, outside the seaman's mission?

His memory's fading, with those medal ribbons that he wears

And in our winter city, the rain cries little pity

For one more forgotten hero, and a world that doesn't care

I remember hearing a Christian version of "Streets of London", in an Elim I attended, many years ago.  I can only remember one of the verses, sadly.

Have you seen the young Man, climb the hill of Calvary

Wearing a crown of thorns and carrying a cro-oss

All the way he knew his fate, yet in his eyes you'll find no ha-ate

He went to Calvary, for the sins of all mankind.

Chorus

So how can you tell me you're lo-onely

And say for you that no-one cares

Let me take you by the hand and lead to the hill of Calvary

And I will show you someone, who'll make you change your mind.

• Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

36 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

Philippians 3:13-14 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,080
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

20 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Yes, I need no convincing; the Christian walk is a constant struggle with the flesh.

Romans 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Paraphrasing Paul, the spirit is strong, but the flesh is weak. Paul suffered more in the flesh than probably all the other apostles combined.

I have never bought into the idea that we are competed after our conversion. That's when the work starts. Occasionally I will hear of a person who had a weakness of some kind and the Lord completely delivered them from it. I guess I have never been able to relate to that in my own life. For me it has taken some time and I'm still not there yet. Sure , some things have changed immediately. Our "wanter" has been modified. Sometimes we still do it in spite of our "wanter".

20 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Speculating is useless, but I always wondered what the thorn in Paul’s flesh was and with what he struggled. So severe, he prayed three times for the Lord to remove it. For Paul and us, the answer is that God’s Grace is sufficient to overcome it.

Whatever it was the Lord must have seen it as beneficial in some way. I believe the idea was to make sure he didn't have pride, for me this eliminates some of the theories out there. What is it a man could have that would prevent him being prideful?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

3 hours ago, Alive said:

Ha! I play and sing that song.

STREETS OF LONDON

Ralph McTell

capo: 2nd fret

C

Have you seen the old man, in the closed-down market

picking up the papers, with his worn-out shoes?

In his eyes you see no pride, and held loosely by his side

yesterday's papers, telling yesterday's news

CHORUS:

F

So how can you tell me, you're lo-ne-ly

and say for you that the sun don't shine?

Let me take you by the hand, and lead you through the streets of London      

I'll show you something, to make you change your mind

Have you seen the old gal, who walks the streets of London

dirt in her hair, and her clothes in rags?

She's no time for talking, she just keeps right on walking

Carrying her home, in two carrier bags

Repeat Chorus

And in the all-night cafe, at a quarter past eleven

some old man sitting there, all on his own

Looking at the world, over the rim of his tea-cup

Each cup lasts an hour, then he wanders home alone

Repeat Chorus

And have you seen the old man, outside the seaman's mission?

His memory's fading, with those medal ribbons that he wears

And in our winter city, the rain cries little pity

For one more forgotten hero, and a world that doesn't care

Thanks!  A new song to learn!!

1 hour ago, David1701 said:

I remember hearing a Christian version of "Streets of London", in an Elim I attended, many years ago.  I can only remember one of the verses, sadly.

Have you seen the young Man, climb the hill of Calvary

Wearing a crown of thorns and carrying a cro-oss

All the way he knew his fate, yet in his eyes you'll find no ha-ate

He went to Calvary, for the sins of all mankind.

Chorus

So how can you tell me you're lo-onely

And say for you that no-one cares

Let me take you by the hand and lead to the hill of Calvary

And I will show you someone, who'll make you change your mind.

Can you find this online?  I'd like to hear it and learn this version also.

My normal Christian life reminds me of hiking in the wilderness with all the mountains, valleys and flatland, full of wild animals all along the trail.  Sometimes you have a wonderful overlook to enjoy the beauty.  Other times the wilderness encompasses you with its tall trees where you are given a rocky path guarded by tough bush on both sides.  Another day may include a hard mountain ascent and descent, crossing wild streams while ensuring your balance over slippery rocks.  The next may include a dry spell as we wander through the flat plains.  Each day brings its own blessings and challenges.

At first, when beginning this journey, I was full of energy and expectations, very excited to be on the trail, looking into the unknown with child like excitement.  As time passed, the path became more familiar, knowing the hardships and blessings that may be just around the next corner.  When a day presented more challenges than blessings, the rest at night (in Him) became the greatest blessing of the day as I would become recharged, looking forward to the next part of the trip ... a journey that only ends when I reach home!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

1 hour ago, Starise said:

I have never bought into the idea that we are competed after our conversion. That's when the work starts. Occasionally I will hear of a person who had a weakness of some kind and the Lord completely delivered them from it. I guess I have never been able to relate to that in my own life. For me it has taken some time and I'm still not there yet. Sure , some things have changed immediately. Our "wanter" has been modified. Sometimes we still do it in spite of our "wanter".

I had the experience of being immediately delivered from pot smoking - the Lord took the pleasure out of that in an instant.  It used to be a real center of my life, and it was gone, replaced with the pleasure of knowing Him. But I agree that in almost all other things, it's a slower transformation!  I do wish, oftentimes, that He'd take many other things like that.  However, we have to continually give these things to Him (which is more reason for our fellowship with Him).

Ultimately the flesh is used as a resistance tool for the spirit to get stronger against, just like weights at the gym.  No resistance; no gain.  I've heard it said that in that day when the flesh finally falls away, we'll look at it and say, "Thanks for your service - you helped me gain so much of Christ!" 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

Normal is relative to the observer.

I passed this topic by for a while because apart from our Lord Jesus Christ, I share little in common with most. Some have led a life that was never my place to live, so it's difficult to relate the truth while sparing the listener (or reader) from the worst.

Perhaps that's where I fall short and why silence is such a good friend. I have seen, heard, and endured things in this life which tore me apart over, and over again. I have traveled the world --- and this country --- and have done many things while I wandered aimlessly (so it seemed) for decades.

I've faced death and embraced the end with joy. I gave myself for the sake of strangers and was left for dead. I've been cursed, spat upon, shot at, and cast out many times. The only constant is that nothing remains the same for long, and so I learned that nothing in this world lasts forever. 

But the Lord, He endures forever.

From the moment I heard His voice for the first time, I have belonged to Him. I abandoned everything to follow Jesus Christ and unlike this world which has no place for me, He has never forsaken me. The Lord did not forget me in my ruin.

As I have suffered, the Lord comforts me. When I was torn apart and left for dead, the Holy One came and made me whole again. For all the evil I have witnessed on this earth, the Spirit of God has revealed things which leave me speechless. 

My own hand was broken, so the Lord delivered me with a mighty hand. I was surrounded by enemies, but they scattered like leaves in the wind before the terror of the Lord. 

My own life was forfeit, so the Lord gave His life so I will never depart from the glory of His presence. These days, the Lord is pleased to grant stability so I might rest at last. I devote myself to serving the homeless and needy, and I want for nothing.

But I have not forgotten where I've been, and where I come from. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,033
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

Normal is relative to the observer.

I passed this topic by for a while because apart from our Lord Jesus Christ, I share little in common with most. Some have led a life that was never my place to live, so it's difficult to relate the truth while sparing the listener (or reader) from the worst.

Perhaps that's where I fall short and why silence is such a good friend. I have seen, heard, and endured things in this life which tore me apart over, and over again. I have traveled the world --- and this country --- and have done many things while I wandered aimlessly (so it seemed) for decades.

I've faced death and embraced the end with joy. I gave myself for the sake of strangers and was left for dead. I've been cursed, spat upon, shot at, and cast out many times. The only constant is that nothing remains the same for long, and so I learned that nothing in this world lasts forever. 

But the Lord, He endures forever.

From the moment I heard His voice for the first time, I have belonged to Him. I abandoned everything to follow Jesus Christ and unlike this world which has no place for me, He has never forsaken me. The Lord did not forget me in my ruin.

As I have suffered, the Lord comforts me. When I was torn apart and left for dead, the Holy One came and made me whole again. For all the evil I have witnessed on this earth, the Spirit of God has revealed things which leave me speechless. 

My own hand was broken, so the Lord delivered me with a mighty hand. I was surrounded by enemies, but they scattered like leaves in the wind before the terror of the Lord. 

My own life was forfeit, so the Lord gave His life so I will never depart from the glory of His presence. These days, the Lord is pleased to grant stability so I might rest at last. I devote myself to serving the homeless and needy, and I want for nothing.

But I have not forgotten where I've been, and where I come from. 

Great testimony bro. I think that many of us have been in the gutter, or been shot at, or faced divorce, bankruptcy and death. But we are able to write these things because the Lord delivered us.

And just as the Lord has the power to deliver us from physical danger and disaster, so He is able to deliver us from our sinful nature. I love the story of Jacob. His name means "supplanter" or "crook". But after more than 20 years of dealing by God, his name was changed to "Israel". When you told your story above, I thought of Jacob. When Pharaoh asked him how old he was, his answer was; "my days have been few and evil." But then a strange thing happened. We are told that Jacob blessed Pharaoh. And Hebrews 7:7 says;

7 And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.

Jacob, whose days had been few and evil was somehow better than the great Pharaoh. How? Because God had dealt with him and not with Pharaoh. God has delivered you bro, but He has also achieved a lot inside of you.

Go well.

• Thumbs Up 2