• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,400
  • Content Per Day:  12.14
  • Days Won:  31

On 11/17/2022 at 5:14 PM, Sower said:

Any bible is good, almost I believe. There are a few worthless ones. I also started out with the KJV, and still do. I have several other versions and the amplified bible. Strongs concordance was used extensively but now I google up Strongs number quickly to get closer to original. I have the Hebrew and Greek interlinear I used to use also, but not so much any more. I use those to get a perspective in a modern language. I am not a KJV only fanatic for sure, but all the verses I have memorized are KJV and it is not so easy to follow along anymore in a men's bible study or preaching in a different version.

If you don't plan on being a forum theologian, the KJV is more than adequate. You can learn anything God would have you do, or be. Be careful thinking another version is going to help you to more successfully walk in a Christlike manner, as if some key point not covered in the KJV or any other version will enable you better to serve Christ. That is when you go to the holy spirit and seek how a scripture applies.

It is good to have other versions that may help understand better, but bottom line is how much of all your understand are you actually implementing in your walk to serve God. It is not having a vast amount of versions as much as having only one and putting into practice what you read in it. That is when you need to use the Holy Spirit version..:)  I have more knowledge of scripture of which much is not put into practice. I can get too busy figuring out exactly what is written, meant, and less time serving my Lord. Well done is better than well read. You can read about some of those in the old testament that knew all the scriptures but Jesus told them 'I never knew you'. Think about the hundreds of years the majority of the body of Christ never had any bibles at all, yet the body survived.

Do as you are led by your spirit when seeking God's truth. Trust in the Lord to guide you.

Hi @SowerThe Strong's numbers can indeed be useful, when looking to see whether a word is the same or different in two passages.............

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

On 11/17/2022 at 4:28 PM, Kat70s said:

Best version of the Holy Bible?

The King James is authorized, but it is not the most easy to understand. I use Bible hub and I look at the different translations. 

We are told in Jeremiah 1:12 "I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled.” It is the KJV that God is watching over to perform. But most everyone can agree this is not the most easy translation to understand. 

The paraphrase Bibles are not accurate and they are not even a translation. They are a commentary and are subject to error. It is ok to read them along with the KJV. I still think the NIV is easier to understand. I read the NIV twice and then I read the KJV three times. 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks to everyone for their imput, I appreciate it all!

Pardon no personal responses, I have pink eye and my eyeballs hurt.

Thanks again!

Katrina 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/18/2022 at 7:11 AM, Alive said:

If I could only have two, it is the kjv and nasb. If only one…nasb.

Same here, only in reverse.  :D

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

12 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Same here, only in reverse.  :D

Nobody is perfect.

;-)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 5:51 PM, Jayne said:

the King James is very good.

@Jayne I agree; while I'm not strictly King James Only, yet I'm strongly KJV oriented.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Jayne I agree; while I'm not strictly King James Only, yet I'm strongly KJV oriented.

While I know it is very good, I don't read it anymore.  I have been a Bible teacher for years to young preschool children at church and teenage students when I taught at a Christian school for 4 of my 32 years.

There was no way I could teach from the King James.  I just got out of the habit of reading it myself.  However, if adults want to read it as their primary Bible - I support that fully.

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

It depends on what I'm doing.   If I just want to read, I usually listen to Alexander Scorbey read the KJV.   If I am studying my preference is the 1972 release of the NASB   I find it to be the closest word for word translation.    Some problem though in that there are some Hebrew and Greek words that don't translate very well and keep the context meant by the original languages;  so for serious studying I use a Bible Program on my desktop put out by BibleSoft.  It has 20 or so translations (one of which is an interlinear that lets one read word for word in the original language with each words meaning.   Also several commentaries, maps, dictionaries and concordances.   It's kind of pricey though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

I like to use different ones just for a change. ESV NKJV ASV KJV

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wayne222 said:

I like to use different ones just for a change. ESV NKJV ASV KJV

The more formal ones such as the King James might on the surface require more effort to read, but in terms of accuracy and trustworthiness they tend to score more highly than the paraphrastic versions............

• Thanks 1