IGNORED

Why Doesn’t Jesus Know When He Will Return?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

21 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

That's a presumption from Gentile commentators.

In a Jewish wedding betrothal, the groom would build a home on dad's land and the father would approve the home then tell his son to get his bride.

Jesus is saying when our heavenly homes are completed/there are enough Jews and Gentiles saved, the Father will tell the Son to Return.

HOWEVER, Jesus limited some of his nature on Earth. He chose to live in one body, in one person.

Anyone who actually read my post would understand their misinterpretations here.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

On 12/10/2022 at 9:32 AM, Deborah_ said:

He might know it now. We don't know, because He won't tell us even if He does.

As He said to His disciples just before His ascension, "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by His own authority." (Acts 1:7)

You hit the answer with Acts 1:7.   It had to do with Authority when Jesus was on earth.    When the Son of God came to earth,  he set aside or put some of his attributes on hold.   As a man, he allowed himself to have many of the limitations we have.

Philippians 2

Good News Translation

Christ's Humility and Greatness

Your life in Christ makes you strong, and his love comforts you. You have fellowship with the Spirit,[a] and you have kindness and compassion for one another. I urge you, then, to make me completely happy by having the same thoughts, sharing the same love, and being one in soul and mind. Don't do anything from selfish ambition or from a cheap desire to boast, but be humble toward one another, always considering others better than yourselves. And look out for one another's interests, not just for your own. The attitude you should have is the one that Christ Jesus had:

He always had the nature of God,
    but he did not think that by force he should try to remain[b] equal with God.
Instead of this, of his own free will he gave up all he had,
    and took the nature of a servant.
He became like a human being
    and appeared in human likeness.
He was humble and walked the path of obedience all the way to death—
    his death on the cross.

For this reason God raised him to the highest place above
    and gave him the name that is greater than any other name.
10 And so, in honor of the name of Jesus
    all beings in heaven, on earth, and in the world below[c]
    will fall on their knees,
11 and all will openly proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.

Shining as Lights in the World

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well, I'm still trying to figure out why it matters.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

On 12/10/2022 at 10:41 PM, Open7 said:

In Matthew 24:36, it says that only the father knows when Jesus will come back, not even the angels or even Jesus.

I’m wondering why Jesus wouldn’t be told this? I’ve searched Google and it just comes up with articles talking about how he humbled himself to become man and therefore doesn’t necessarily know things. But that doesn’t really help me.

For what reason has God decided to keep this from Jesus? The information is kept from us, so that we would be ready, could it be a similar reason for Jesus?

I like the fact that God the Father has a surprise in store for His Son.

I also like to compare Jesus's Moment of Return innocence with His Baptismal righteousness fulfillment.  

Mat 3:13-17  Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him.  (14)  And John tried to prevent Him, saying, "I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?"  (15)  But Jesus answered and said to him, "Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he allowed Him.  (16)  When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him.  (17)  And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

Blessings from Michael37

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Matthew 4:2-4
And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry. Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’ ”

There is no law or moral edict against turning stones into bread. This was not a temptation to sin, but rather a temptation for Jesus to step outside of His humanity; to use His divine power to satisfy the hunger in His flesh.

In order to qualify as the Savior of humanity, Jesus had to live a fully human life (yet without sin) in faith - fully dependent upon the Father and Holy Spirit. That means He had to limit Himself - including access to His divine knowledge.

John 8:28
Then Jesus said to them, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,469
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Well explained by Deborah and Kwik.

The only thing I will add. We are to be constantly on the watch for the Lord’s return. We can know the season, and we are definitely in that season. If we knew the exact timing of Jesus’s return, would it not be human nature to live as we will until the last moment to repent?

If we continually follow Jesus, we will not be embarrassed, caught off guard, or surprised at His sudden return.

Another aspect: The Lord will not reveal His plan and purposes to the rebel fallen angels. God hid or masked the details of the coming Messiah in the Old Testament.

The Old Testament is the New Testament concealed. The New Testament (Good News) is the Old Testament revealed. ~ Augustine possibly.

If Satan and his princes and powers of the air knew the timing of the harpazo, would they not be organized, waiting, and ready to do battle?

1 Corinthians 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

The above does not give the opposition any time to counter or react.

Just some additional thoughts.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 12/10/2022 at 3:41 AM, Open7 said:

In Matthew 24:36, it says that only the father knows when Jesus will come back, not even the angels or even Jesus.

I’m wondering why Jesus wouldn’t be told this? I’ve searched Google and it just comes up with articles talking about how he humbled himself to become man and therefore doesn’t necessarily know things. But that doesn’t really help me.

For what reason has God decided to keep this from Jesus? The information is kept from us, so that we would be ready, could it be a similar reason for Jesus?

One of the many ways to distinguish between the individuals in the Godhead is by their unique function / ministry.

• God the Father is the ultimate Authority that even God the Word (Jesus) and God the Holy Spirit submit to (Acts 1:7) and the only thing he ever created is the humanity / body of Jesus (John 1:14 / Hebrews 10:5 / Hebrews 1:5)
  • God the Word is the sole Creator of all things created in the beginning (John 1:3 / Colossians 1:16 / Isaiah 44:24) and Redeemer of mankind (John 3:16-18)
  • God the Spirit is the Author and sole Interpreter of scripture (2 Peter 1:20-21 / 2 Timothy 3:16) Leader and Guide to all truth (John 16:13)

There is an obvious hierarchy in the Godhead (all other things being equal in the Godhead).

The Father "put into his own power" the foreknowledge of events (Acts 1:7) and as the OP quoted, even the Son is not privy to that part of divine omniscience... nor is the Holy Spirit who must search the mind of God the Father (1 Corinthians 2:10). This firmly distinguishes between the individuals / persons in the Godhead.