• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,080
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

13 minutes ago, S. Carpenter said:

So, do you see the convolution of this? That's why I was hoping there would be some kind of tutorial I could go study. Even an introduction to new people to the forum would be helpful. Anything you can point me to?

Oh, and is pointing someone to another topic or discussion, rude or bad form?

Thanks for whatever you're willing to answer.

Since I am already here I hope you don't mind me commenting.

I can understand being a little frustrated. I would only say that sometimes things online cam seem to be rude when they really aren't what they seem. I believe we all want you to have a good experience here and would not intend for you to feel as if you caught nothing but flak.

Most of the forum is easy to access after the initial joining it. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I will say topics are not often moved. A lot of discussion for me ends up in the "general discussion" area.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

20 minutes ago, S. Carpenter said:

So, do you see the convolution of this? That's why I was hoping there would be some kind of tutorial I could go study. Even an introduction to new people to the forum would be helpful. Anything you can point me to?

Oh, and is pointing someone to another topic or discussion, rude or bad form?

Thanks for whatever you're willing to answer.

No, someone explaining that new people need to have a few posts in the Welcome session before posting elsewhere is NOT bad form.

Don't take it personally, sister.  Bad form is when someone has to chastise you for something you did wrong.  You did nothing wrong and in fact, you did something that countless new people do.  No one was chastising you then or now.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, S. Carpenter said:

Interesting logo of a Lion. What does it designate? (it's in the same place as the "graduated to heaven" sign was on someone else's)

Gads, have I graduated? I must have missed the entire ceremony. LOL

I haven't a clue as to tutorials, nor to symbols, and lions and what not. Maybe I tooshould ty to learn. So far though I haven't blown up the website.  

Question, are you still unable to start threads on the various categories? Maybe you have to respond to a few existing threads first? ???  If you find a tutorial of sorts please share of where it might be.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, Starise said:

I am lefty

Aha I though so!  Seeing the way you part your hair on the right gave me a clue.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/2/2023 at 9:28 AM, Jayne said:

I've heard this phrase used - even though I don't use it.  But I have never heard it said that this means to think one is God.

Here is a link as to how I have heard it used.  What does it mean to speak life? | GotQuestions.org

Thank you for the citation. :) I went and looked at it. I don't seem to understand this part of scripture that says "our words have the power of life and death". I could see that with a judge for sure! But I'm not a judge who can send someone to the electric chair. And so I don't really understand this strange way of looking at things. All that being said it IS in scripture. Therefore my ramblings about it are just my lack of understanding.

However, from what I can tell from this article, it isn't the same as the "Word of Faith" or "little 'g' gods" doctrine which purports that we can "speak things into existence". That is what I was addressing: that we cannot "speak things into existence". To me it's a souped up version of "making a wish" and believing it will come true. That's something I did as a child. Until I realized "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride". In other words, it's nothing, just a wish and has no power. I cannot now say there is no power in our words. I just still stay back from the edge of this thought when it comes to believing somehow WE have the same power as God -- to speak things "into existence". That is my main point with this. I think that is treading on the line of being heresy, and so I am concerned about "speaking into" language.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2023 at 9:31 AM, Starise said:

Since I am already here I hope you don't mind me commenting.

I can understand being a little frustrated. I would only say that sometimes things online cam seem to be rude when they really aren't what they seem. I believe we all want you to have a good experience here and would not intend for you to feel as if you caught nothing but flak.

Most of the forum is easy to access after the initial joining it. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I will say topics are not often moved. A lot of discussion for me ends up in the "general discussion" area.

Thank you so much. You're right! I forgot about how sometimes things online can SEEM to be rude when they really aren't. We don't get to hear tone of voice, or see faces while people are talking. It's a good reminder, and I appreciate you giving me that.

Good to know that topics are not often moved here. I think most of what I write will probably end up in "general discussion" too. At least for quite a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2023 at 9:44 AM, Jayne said:

No, someone explaining that new people need to have a few posts in the Welcome session before posting elsewhere is NOT bad form.

Don't take it personally, sister.  Bad form is when someone has to chastise you for something you did wrong.  You did nothing wrong and in fact, you did something that countless new people do.  No one was chastising you then or now.

Oh. Okay.

• 1 month later...

On 1/2/2023 at 9:24 AM, Starise said:

Sorry I missed you. Welcome to Worthy.

@The_Patriot21 has a good point. I also understand that navigating in the beginning can be a bit confusing. It was for me in the beginning as I am lefty like @Neighbor and we get things bakerds a lot.

Some posts ask a question. Some posts make a statement more like they are teaching instead of engaging. I liked the thoughts in your "speaking into" post. I see those statements usually made by the apostate TV evangelists.

I speak to God and don't speak into anything else. Only God speaks anything into existence, so you are spot on here or at least the way I see it. Your comments were more statement and not really challenging beyond the statement. Not sure if that was your intention or not. Sometimes such a response will enourage someone who might disagree right? 

Tell me if I'm understanding you correctly. Basically, you're telling me it might have been received better if I asked a question rather than making a statement?

Since we basically agree about God being the only one to speak anything into existence, can you help me figure out how to phrase that as a question without sounding like I'm being sarcastic? I meant to make the statement. It's something that bothers me tremendously because I see it as really booting God off His throne and trying to sit there in His place. I mean, whenever I find myself doing that in little ways I stop and cringe at it, and repent. That's an easy one for any of us to do in less obvious ways. It is the obviousness of it that floors me, that Christians use this phrase without seemingly much thought.

Thanks for any tip you can give me. That is always appreciated!

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,080
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it and indulge it will eat its fruit and bear the consequences of their words.( Amplified Bible)

@S. CarpenterI will be referring to the above text using the AB because I think it puts these ideas into a better perspective for me.

You're talking to someone who if I'm not careful I can be VERY sarcastic. Some people jump into it- " I wonder when evening is going to get here?" " When the sun sets?"

I can also be sensitive to the way people put things across sometimes. My opinions of the ways some people put their thoughts out on the web likely differ from one person to another, so I may be more sensitive to some types of things than others are. Much of this has to do with the way we percieve people "coming off" to us online which may or may not really be the way that person is, especially since it is so easy for a person to misrepresent themselves online if they choose to do so. They may even have done it accidentally.

I personally never liked the types that 'come off' as if they are the head of the castle, king of the mountain types. Even if they are knowledgeable, to me it shows a certain lack of respect for others not to care about other's perspective on any given thing and just bulldoze through life, or be willing to patiently explain to someone who doesn't know something, or be willing to change if it is shown they are not correct.

Instead the type of person I am referring to thinks they pretty much know everything and they are here to tell all of us dummys some of it. Occasionally we get people here who never respond to replies and simply post teaching on the discussion forum. They have no interest at all in discussion, yet this particular area IS a discussion area where we discuss things, at least that's how I see it.

I didn't think you were coming off that way at all so I'm sorry if we had a misunderstanding. I never had an issue with a person simply telling us what they believe and asking what we think about it. That is discussion :)

As a person who wasn't raised in a charismatic church ( Baptist) , I had never heard of this idea of " speaking into" anything. I'll admit I have always been skeptical of it. Not because I was raised Baptist, but because it doesn't seem to be biblical. I think we could probably replace " speaking into" with the word faith and be more biblically accurate. Nowhere in the bible do I read that we have creative event changing power in our toungues, or than the inflience we have on others through what we say. We can either choose to build someone up or knock someone down with our tongues, we can choose to gossip or remain silent on info we think is juicy to repeat that could be destructive to another.

I see my words more as "praying into" something. Leaning 110% on God only. My tongue is nothing so far as accomplishing anything. The tongue reflects what we are on the inside. If we are miserable, hateful, vengeful on the inside, that's eventually going to come out in what we say. If we think impure thoughts, impurity will come from us often through our tongues. We have the power to edify both ourselves and others through the tongue. The tongue only seems to reflect our attitudes.

Any time a phrase is only associated with one or a few denominations, I am wary of it. We already know many of the TV preachers who use this phrase are fake as a 2 dollar bill.

• Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 12/31/2022 at 1:33 PM, S. Carpenter said:

Because I only was told on the Welcome Board that I had posted in the "wrong forum" but didn't have help from anyone (like someone moving it and pointing me to the new thread) but some just got upset that as a brand new member I couldn't tell that I should not write there, I am starting this topic. However, to be fair, I am copying all I posted over there, here. Thanks for your patience.

One response I got, from a super senior member who has apparently "graduated to heaven" wrote this "helpful" comment:

Wow. Okay. So, here it is December 31st, 2022, and there were nice comments which I liked and sometimes answered, but still couldn't see it getting moved anywhere. So I'm attempting, for the second time, with no help or instruction to start this topic OFF the Welcome Forum. Hope it works. Sincerely.

Good morning, S. Carpenter,

Please do not get aggravated or offended. I still get a few of my posts moved (without explanation) or pointed out in error. Administrators and moderators are all volunteers trying to do their best promptly. I am human, making mistakes and still learning and navigating my way around.

The Terms of Service (TOS) and enforcement really help to keep this board well organized and well run.

• Thanks 1