• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

I attend Temple New Jerusalem messianic synagogue in Palm Harbor, Florida.  Rabbi Mike recently added a surprising statement to a recent sermon.  Mike's scripture reference was Genesis 1:1 (NAS)

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” 

Rabbi Mike said there’s a tiny word in the original Hebrew text that’s not included in English translations.  Here it is in its proper placement…..

In the beginning God created {Aleph Tav} the heavens and the earth."

The Hebrew alphabet has twenty-two characters.   The first character is Aleph.  The last character is Tav.

Thus the meaning here is akin to the Greek phrase “alpha and omega” or the English equivalent “A to Z or beginning to end”.  In other words, the meaning of what was first created is TIME.   God created TIME first of all - the Space Time Continuum.

All the text that follows Genesis 1:1 is thus subject to interpretation of timeLESS eternity vs. temporal physical TIME experienced on earth.   The narrative jumps around in temporal dimensions and eternal depictions.  

For instance, the last book of the Bible, Revelation, predicts an event that's predicted in the first book of Genesis.  When Jesus said He saw satan fall to Earth like lightning He was quoting Genesis (that had already happened in physical history/time) as well as assertions of Revelation that hadn't yet been written.  Other references in the gospels and Revelation refer to events that WILL happen in Genesis 1:1.

One might make good use of a time machine to sort out the confusion, to travel back and forth in Time to understand a strange sort of temporal spiritual war…….or take it by faith that God has a handle on things and will win in the end - as the scripture tells us HAS happened and WILL happen.  Here we are in the middle, looking both ways - wondering and watching.

Either way it's an interesting point of view of the very first line of scripture - Aleph Tav.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
Edited by choir loft
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,599
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 minutes ago, choir loft said:

.or take it by faith that God has a handle on things and will win in the end - as the scripture tells us HAS happened and WILL happen.

Yep. I guess it is a matter of the victory won already  catching up with our being behind the curve.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.90
  • Days Won:  1

22 minutes ago, choir loft said:

In other words, the meaning of what was first created is TIME.   God created TIME first of all - the Space Time Continuum.

But what is time?

• Followers:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

4 minutes ago, FJK said:

But what is time?

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary TIME is "the point or period when something occurs."

What is your point in asking this simple question?   

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

The better question to ask and sort out is what is God’s "eternal purpose" mentioned by Paul and then fit that within the construct of time and what ontology demands.

Edited by Alive
typo

• Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.90

20 minutes ago, choir loft said:

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary TIME is "the point or period when something occurs."

"period" and "occurs" cannot be defined without using time to define them.

So we use time as a definition of itself? 

That leaves a lot lacking a far as understanding it in any specific sense.  Is time the same for you as it is for me and also for someone living in, say, Africa the same way physical phenomenon are?

And then again, is it the same thing for God as it is for man?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,134
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 3/27/2023 at 8:32 AM, choir loft said:

that would depend on what dimension you were exciting in.   That's a fair definition for our 4th dimension, but not higher ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,138
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

On 3/27/2023 at 9:02 AM, choir loft said:

I attend Temple New Jerusalem messianic synagogue in Palm Harbor, Florida.  Rabbi Mike recently added a surprising statement to a recent sermon.  Mike's scripture reference was Genesis 1:1 (NAS)

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” 

Rabbi Mike said there’s a tiny word in the original Hebrew text that’s not included in English translations.  Here it is in its proper placement…..

In the beginning God created {Aleph Tav} the heavens and the earth."

The Hebrew alphabet has twenty-two characters.   The first character is Aleph.  The last character is Tav.

Thus the meaning here is akin to the Greek phrase “alpha and omega” or the English equivalent “A to Z or beginning to end”.  In other words, the meaning of what was first created is TIME.   God created TIME first of all - the Space Time Continuum.

All the text that follows Genesis 1:1 is thus subject to interpretation of timeLESS eternity vs. temporal physical TIME experienced on earth.   The narrative jumps around in temporal dimensions and eternal depictions.  

For instance, the last book of the Bible, Revelation, predicts an event that's predicted in the first book of Genesis.  When Jesus said He saw satan fall to Earth like lightning He was quoting Genesis (that had already happened in physical history/time) as well as assertions of Revelation that hadn't yet been written.  Other references in the gospels and Revelation refer to events that WILL happen in Genesis 1:1.

One might make good use of a time machine to sort out the confusion, to travel back and forth in Time to understand a strange sort of temporal spiritual war…….or take it by faith that God has a handle on things and will win in the end - as the scripture tells us HAS happened and WILL happen.  Here we are in the middle, looking both ways - wondering and watching.

Either way it's an interesting point of view of the very first line of scripture - Aleph Tav.

Very cool ,it reminds me of a teaching I heard decades ago,also by a Messianic Rabbi who said " God sees us from our past,present & future( before birth,after physical death) all at once in His Eternal Presence..   that has stayed with me all these years because of Aleph Tav/Alpha Omega...good stuff!

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,420
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

23 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Very cool ,it reminds me of a teaching I heard decades ago,also by a Messianic Rabbi who said " God sees us from our past,present & future( before birth,after physical death) all at once in His Eternal Presence..   that has stayed with me all these years because of Aleph Tav/Alpha Omega...good stuff!

Hi @kwikphilly I also similarly love these passages:

1 Thess. 1.9-10: "....ye turned to God from idols" (PAST)

"to serve the living and true God;" (PRESENT)

10 "And to wait for his Son from heaven," (FUTURE)... "whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

1 Cor. 11.26:

"For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew" (PRESENT)

"the Lord's death" (PAST)

"till he come." (FUTURE).

• Praise God! 1

• Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

This Alef-Tav occasionally appears at some quite significant passages, such as in Zechariah 12:10...

"they will look upon me Alev-Tav whom they have pierced"

Ref