Jabre7

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I've noticed something important, something my Bible teacher actually pointed out when it comes to vows according to the Bible:

In every case of a vow, it's implied there's someone to confirm it was made, and the oath is specifically spoken verbally. None of my oaths for a long time have been spoken, and in the very rare cases among those I told someone about it, I was scared of it being binding and asking if it was, not confirming that I was even completely sure I was bound to it. Besides, every spoken oath when it comes to abstaining from something has been OCD induced, and almost certainly not binding regardless since I'm not in my right mind when making them.

Also there's all the countless OCD "oaths" that were only in thought, which according to the biblical definition, wouldn't count.

The spoken ones from long ago still worry me a bit, but I'm very much relieved knowing my foolish thought processes don't restrain me.

Edited by Jabre7

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,413
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Check out Leviticus 5:4-6 too. Basically even in the OT times when someone made a vow they could negate it by paying a fine.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,267
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Jabre7 said:

I've noticed something important, something my Bible teacher actually pointed out when it comes to vows according to the Bible:

In every case of a vow, it's implied there's someone to confirm it was made, and the oath is specifically spoken verbally. None of my oaths for a long time have been spoken, and in the very rare cases among those I told someone about it, I was scared of it being binding and asking if it was, not confirming that I was even completely sure I was bound to it. Besides, every spoken oath when it comes to abstaining from something has been OCD induced, and almost certainly not binding regardless since I'm not in my right mind when making them.

Also there's all the countless OCD "oaths" that were only in thought, which according to the biblical definition, wouldn't count.

The spoken ones from long ago still worry me a bit, but I'm very much relieved knowing my foolish thought processes don't restrain me.

Personally I have believed it would be better if I did, or didn't do,  what in my mind I wanted to do, like abstain from a bad habit, or, to start each day to give at least one person an encouraging word, than set a goal with an oath I have always missed already. As if an oath will strengthen me.  In other words, instead of a moment of emotional oath proclaiming so if I meet my goal I feel good about obtaining it, I would rather just fervently (seriously) pursue my goal without swearing I'm gonna do it, or not do something, accomplish it, and please God instead, and not a self-aggrandisement.

To make an oath to me is putting myself under some self imposed law. To do what I know what to do without having the law hanging over my head still accomplishes the goal, to serve God. Being a sinful human, a born again sinful believer, would set myself up for failure swearing I would not sin. Not to try to be sinless, but to sin less.  God calls it grace.

Concerning certain sin, I found out there were things/habits I couldn't quit. But I don't do them any more because I was delivered by God, and prayers. It was when I admitted to God "I can't do this" that God delivered me.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

4 hours ago, Jabre7 said:

every spoken oath when it comes to abstaining from something has been OCD induced, and almost certainly not binding regardless since I'm not in my right mind when making them.

Got it in one. Legally,  both today and in bible times vows etc were only binding if the person was deemed  to be responsible  enough to make them.

In the case of ocd intrusive thoughts, one should not argue, talk, or try to suppress them but simply  acknowledge  them and move on.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

If we have and missed it.. you just repent and move on. Christ came already died for the sin of the world. Isa 53:5 1st Peter 2:24 by His strips we were healed. Like Peter and John said after the man was healed.. they didn't do it by their own power but it was that name faith in that name healed that man. So as long as we keep saying "I have this or that" God can do nothing. I had someone say to me about something "Sorry you can't just pray this away". They were 100% right. See as long as they believe they have it and prayer God can't do anything then God will not do anything. He can not go against our will.

You/we don't have any problems all we need is faith in God. Did He not say ALL things are possible to them that believe? I know what my GOD through what Jesus Christ did on the cross for me so.. I am not special not His only one.. so if He did it for me He will do for all.. as Hes does right now for those that believe.. Yes for you talking about OCD.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  774
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,949
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

On 5/25/2023 at 5:38 PM, Jabre7 said:

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins He is faithful.

Edited by R. Hartono

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,659
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Is anyone finally free? Free from what? I am not free, and I do not seek to be free, instead I seek to be filled. That becomes my ideal goal. 

I seek not to be free for that makes a void within me which is a serious danger to me personally. I do try to not make room for voids to exist in my own going about and my own thoughts by filling potential voids before they form, crowding out that which wants to fill the void with the word of God instead.

The Word leads to faithing, an active belief where form and function mesh.

Practical lesson is highlighted in the following, and is reason not to strive to eliminate so much as it is to crowd out, so that no void is ever there, for evil to find and invite many evil friends to come party.

[Return of an Unclean Spirit]

“When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none. Then it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when it comes, it finds the house empty, swept, and put in order.  Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there, and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So also will it be with this evil generation.”