Charlie744

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

In Revelation, there are 7 letters written to 7 literal churches. Each church is unique in its relationship with God. 

Do these churches also reflect a different period in time during the past 2000 years? (Does not mean each of the 7 cannot be found in the other churches). 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I've heard lectures on them being time settings and others saying they are for all times, but different problems in the different churches.   I have also heard talks saying it was only for the actual churches there at that time.

I'm not sure about the history of the churches there at the time of John's writing, but all do seem to make some sense.

I try to emulate the good stuff and avoid doing the bad stuff, so maybe John wrote it just for me to help me through life's decisions.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,143
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Charlie744 said:

In Revelation, there are 7 letters written to 7 literal churches. Each church is unique in its relationship with God. 

Do these churches also reflect a different period in time during the past 2000 years? (Does not mean each of the 7 cannot be found in the other churches). 

There could be something to that like the church of Philadelphia escaping having to go through the great tribulation.

I think though more importantly is the 7 church's reflect the different characteristics of individual Christians.   With the point of the messages to us as individual Christians is what to be and what not to be.

I see you are getting started unpacking Revelation.

Edited by douggg

7 minutes ago, douggg said:

There could be something to that like the church of Philadelphia escaping having to go through the great tribulation.

I think though more importantly is the 7 church's reflect the different characteristics of individual Christians.   With the point of the messages to us as individual Christians is what to be and what not to be.

I see you are getting started unpacking Revelation.

I can see this may be another 5 year project- God willing.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

7 minutes ago, Charlie744 said:

I can see this may be another 5 year project- God willing.

Good luck with that and tieing it and Daniel all together

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,  My own thoughts lead me to think and ask: Were not the seven churches  real church bodies with real assembly  locales? Was not the reveal,  that portion of the letter itself, a listing one after another of things that must soon come to pass if there was not repentance?

I do think  that first  and also foremost the letter with it's mention of and messages to the individual church bodies was a circular letter of  warnings given along with a contrasting optimum  example. 

Did not each church body with it's specific to it locale and  quirks also pass into history?

I think that is the first layer to take in and digest, attempting some discernment in prayerful thinking as well as reading of it. It is real, it carries  real warnings, to  real groups of differing church bodies that existed very shortly after our Lord's ascension, when already  the diversity of them were presenting a falling away of the local bodies of christ  from their first love even, in some instances.

That one may take up the warnings and make lessons of it for use today does not make it a spiritualization, an allegory. It is history to take in, and from which  to hopefully learn from to personal advantage in repentance.

The whole of the  book generally called Revelation is, of course, more than that one segment. Yet that one segment is excellent, and dire, warning from God for each  and every local body of Christ today to take in and if necessary to turn about to corporate as well as individual repentance.

Yes one can easily take in five years  on it I suppose. I was privileged some long time ago to have received one full year of expositions of it on Sundays, and individual study of it during the weeks and following years. Five years would likely have netted five times more useful reveal with call into action.

God's word is indeed awesome!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  5,119
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

8 hours ago, Charlie744 said:

They were seven literal churches, but remember, Jesus warned them that they could be "removed out of their place" (Rev. 2:5). Not terminated, but removed elsewhere. Which they clearly must have been, because they ceased to exist in the original seven cities.

And they continue to exist now, because the originals were only seed churches of the seven stars in Christ's hand, which spirits cannot cease to exist, and to work His work, until His Parousia.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, WilliamL said:

They were seven literal churches, but remember, Jesus warned them that they could be "removed out of their place" (Rev. 2:5). Not terminated, but removed elsewhere. Which they clearly must have been, because they ceased to exist in the original seven cities.

And they continue to exist now, because the originals were only seed churches of the seven stars in Christ's hand, which spirits cannot cease to exist, and to work His work, until His Parousia.

If they can be moved out of their place, but are destroyed, does that mean some within each of this churches will be saved but their “rewards” can be diminished?

I will have to review the translation regarding the word “removed.” Sometimes the English translations miss their mark. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  5,119
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

10 hours ago, Charlie744 said:

If they can be moved out of their place, but are destroyed, does that mean some within each of this churches will be saved but their “rewards” can be diminished?

Individuals can always be saved out of evil situations they are in, but, as you suggest, may not bear quality fruits because of their environment. Lot would be a good example.

10 hours ago, Charlie744 said:

I will have to review the translation regarding the word “removed.” Sometimes the English translations miss their mark. 

ALWAYS a good practice!