• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,708
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

25 minutes ago, farouk said:

It's still excellent to memorize God's Word..............

"Divine instructor, gracious Lord,
    Be Thou for ever near:
Teach me to love Thy sacred Word,
    And view my Saviour there." (Anne Steele, 18th century)

I suggest it is worthless without the faithing of it. Just as faith without works is dead, so is the parroting of Bibles books useless without faithing it too. Got to feel it and live it. Otherwise it becomes a stunt more than a life's map. 

Friends Romans Countrymen lend me your ears....  was learned too in rote manner served no good purpose but it is what I was taught to do and I got treats for doing so, got applause and A grades.

None of which  did I gain from that which is useful.

My point? Live the word, live it out in all that one does, strive for that and one will recognize the word verse by verse in application of it not  in rote regurgitation of it. Success is in the living not the parroting.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,596
  • Content Per Day:  12.15
  • Days Won:  31

Just now, Neighbor said:

I suggest it is worthless without the faithing of it. Just as faith without works is dead, so is the parroting of Bibles books useless without faithing it too. Got to feel it and live it. Otherwise it becomes a stunt more than a life's map. 

Friends Romans Countrymen lend me your ears....  was learned too in rote manner served no good purpose but it is what I was taught to do and I got treats for doing so, got applause and A grades.

None of which  did I gain from that which is useful.

My point? Live the word, live it out in all that one does, strive for that and one will recognize the word verse by verse in application of it not  in rote regurgitation of it.

Indeed it must be mixed with faith................

This is as a result of being 'born again.......by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever' (1 Peter 1.23).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,029
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,374
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

1 hour ago, chongjasmine said:

What are some tips you can give me to memorize the bible?

Just keep reading it.   The verses will gradually become part of your memory.   It's good to know verses in time of need or comfort...the Holy Spirit can bring them to your remembrance.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

My point? Live the word, live it out in all that one does, strive for that and one will recognize the word verse by verse in application of it not  in rote regurgitation of it. Success is in the living not the parroting.

"Success is in the living not the parroting"...........default_thumbsup.gif.94a684deb4a5cf8ca3ebf92be6f1fa94.gif 

You also say;  "not  in rote regurgitation of it"

"the act of bringing swallowed food back into the mouth:
Vomiting is the regurgitation of partly digested food from the stomach to the mouth.

Somehow, Neighbor I just can't picture vomiting( regurgitating) God's word...:unsure:
                          (Would be different if we were cows)

God describes in His word the importance of storing His word in our heart and mind.
We taught our children (train up a child) how to understand the word through first memorizing it. (rote)
Application came later as did understanding as they grew and matured, milk to meat.
I still memorize the word, to "program" my mind as to what is right and have God's methods stored for future.
It is putting Light within the darkness of my mind and heart, which is "deceitful above all things and beyond cure"

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee" KJV
         "I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you" ESV

"Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul,
 and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes"

Thy words were found,
                                                and I did eat them;
                and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart:
                        for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

Thanks, Neighbor.    Your point, I believe,  'be doers and not just hearers'!

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.32
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.90
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

7 hours ago, chongjasmine said:
Besides John 3:16, I never seems to be able to memorize the bible in a permanent way. Yes, I can memorize it for 1 day, 2 days, even a week, but after one year, I will probably forget about it. The only verse I can quote to this day without referring to the bible is John 3:16 only.
How to solve that problem? What can I do to remember the scripture long term instead of short term?
I am using the NIV 1984. I like this version rather than the new version of NIV which I feel changes God's Word to be more gender-inclusive. I don't like that. I try reading the KJV, cannot understand the older day english. Try ESV, and it is too difficult for me as well.
I like the NIV 1984 best but it is not in production these days. I don't know where to get a new NIV 1984 after my bible wears out. Therefore, I am hoping to commit the NIV 1984 bible to my memory.

Read aloud, and listen to the reading of the Word and it is already where it needs to be. If I may speak like a man, it is in your subconscious. The principle of remembrance is accomplished by receiving the Holy Spirit, and learning to listen. Heed His Voice.

John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

John 16:13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

Luke 21:

13 But it will turn out for you as an occasion for testimony. 

14 Therefore settle it in your hearts not to meditate

beforehand on what you will answer

15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all

your adversaries will not be able to contradict or resist. 

It is not necessary to rehearse how you will respond to

railing accusation, this does not exclude the use of your

testimony to encourage other believers, and those seeking Truth.

Sanctification of the Spirit establishes His Voice as ours.

1 Peter 3:

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready

to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope

that is in you, with meekness and fear; 

16 having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers,

those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed.

This is a discipline that can be practiced daily on this forum.

Yesterday morning I spent about an hour reading postings

primarily from @Walter and Deborahand listening for a Word 

in response. None of the scriptures I posted were memorized.

The Truth is, as the Words come to mind, I have to look up

the book, chapter and verse, to insure that I am citing accurately.

What amazes me is how so many in ignorance of fellowship

in the Spirit, have criticized me, saying "all you do is post scriptures

without saying what they mean". Why would I do that?

So you can start an argument? Am I the Holy Spirit?

If you don't immediately see the relationship to the thread

and the scripture(s) I receive, then ask. Not me, the Lord. Ask.

Is that not what we have been taught? I am convinced that 

at least half of the posts are in response to the title of a thread,

without reading the OP. I know, because I originate my share,

and I can easily tell the difference.

So, in direct response to this topic regarding memorizing the Bible.

Don't.

Jeremiah 45:5 And do you seek great things for yourself?

Do not seek them; for behold, I will bring adversity on all flesh,

says the Lord. But I will give your life to you as a prize

in all places, wherever you go.

Genesis 15:1 After these things the word of the Lord 

came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram:

I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

Genesis 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine,

the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him,

I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

We are never so old to not need to walk in the Spirit!

Edited by Mr. M

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

8 hours ago, chongjasmine said:
Besides John 3:16, I never seems to be able to memorize the bible in a permanent way. Yes, I can memorize it for 1 day, 2 days, even a week, but after one year, I will probably forget about it. The only verse I can quote to this day without referring to the bible is John 3:16 only.
How to solve that problem? What can I do to remember the scripture long term instead of short term?
I am using the NIV 1984. I like this version rather than the new version of NIV which I feel changes God's Word to be more gender-inclusive. I don't like that. I try reading the KJV, cannot understand the older day english. Try ESV, and it is too difficult for me as well.
I like the NIV 1984 best but it is not in production these days. I don't know where to get a new NIV 1984 after my bible wears out. Therefore, I am hoping to commit the NIV 1984 bible to my memory.

When I was a teenager, my neighbor bought himself a tape recorder, and he read himself the Bible so he would have it in his own words.  It's quite a task.   I am not sure anyone can memorize the whole thing and have a normal brain.

I personally listen to the KJV.  I'm not sure where you could get that NIV in mp3, but you should be able to download a text version.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sower said:

God describes in His word the importance of storing His word in our heart and mind.
We taught our children (train up a child) how to understand the word through first memorizing it. (rote)

Yes and I do concur that AWANA with it's many verse learning goals is good for children.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,418
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

I agree with Debp, keep at it and it will stick eventually. It's just a question of how long it takes to stick.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,317
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

Rote memorization isn't for everyone. It's easier for some to achieve and impossible for others, so I recommend acquiring a contextual understanding of passages and entire books. This has the effect of imparting practical knowledge of the scriptures, something which the Spirit of the Lord makes possible for us to attain. 

A long time ago when it was difficult for me to speak all but the most simple of words and sentences were beyond my ability to articulate, the Lord promised to teach me how to speak and reason again. The scriptures were His tool whereby I learned how to use regions of the brain that suffered damage from infection and starvation; He rejuvenated them, but the task He set before me was simple on the surface:

I never lost the ability to read. Ah, but I lost the ability to pronounce letters and words, and to think clearly. The Lord directed me to the first verse of John's Gospel and instructed me to speak what I read to Him. It was excruciating and took quite some time to master, "In the beginning."

Eventually, after I had demonstrated the ability to read entire passages aloud to His satisfaction, the Lord tested me this way: He would speak and I was required to repeat every word He said aloud. That was very difficult to master, but this increased my ability to concentrate and remained focused on the task at hand.

I was ready for the final step in His promise: the Lord assigned passages, and then entire books of scripture, for me to read at my own pace. When I was finished, the Spirit bid me to impart my understanding of what I had read to Him.

This understanding is what pleases the Lord, my friend. Remember that rote memorization is a feature of Islam and other systems of unbelievers, so rote memorization itself is of no benefit if we lack understanding. The Lord Himself imparts this understanding to us, so read in subjection to Him secure in the promise that Christ is pleased to teach us what we should know. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Interesting! 1

As to how to memorize; I suggest it will be far easier to learn a book of the Bible if you secure a copy that is not interrupted line after line with verse numbers chapter references and non Bible titles added every third or fourth paragraph. Those titles inserted are someone's helpful descriptions of what Is being shared they are not the Bible.

Further start with two books  Guess which ones? Jude and (?). Start with; short direct and sweet, then add books by shortest remaining length book to learn. Memorize a Psalm, but as example don't start with Psalm 119 . What is the shortest of the Psalms to learn? Start with that Psalm. Then learn about it; who authored it, and some basic factoids- It is the shortest chapter in the Bible and the middle most chapter of the entire Bible too. Learn some personal application so that it is not just rote memorization without good and useful purpose. It is Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles!
Laud Him, all you peoples!
 For His merciful kindness is great toward us,
And the truth of the Lord endures forever.

Praise the Lord!