• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,207
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

18 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

@Neighbor @AdHoc @FJK @Marilyn C @Mr. M @Ray12614 @Starise Let me put the brother's statement into a fuller context.  He said, "Many Christians believe that first we accept Christ and then we get a bunch of rules to follow . . . but they aren't taught to realize the real Christian life comes from the new life of Christ that's been placed into them!"

Can you ask that bro what are the rules?

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,431
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

6 minutes ago, other one said:

I have to ask, are those Christians he's speaking of with that attitude, really Christians? 

Sure - I think it's a pretty common view in much of Christendom. People may not say it outright, but many of the radio and TV preachers I hear seem to be basically saying that.  In my opinion, many of them preach a mix of old and new covenant - something of a Jewish/Christianity religion of outward things to follow.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,431
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

5 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Can you ask that bro what are the rules?

Don't smoke; don't chew; don't go with girls who do!  LOL  (looks like emoticons not working)  Sorry for the levity, but I think the point is that rules will in no way save a person.  Only Christ and His life within does the saving . . .

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,207
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

11 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

Don't smoke; don't chew; don't go with girls who do!  LOL  (looks like emoticons not working)  Sorry for the levity, but I think the point is that rules will in no way save a person.  Only Christ and His life within does the saving . . .

Thanks VA,

I don`t think a lot of that is from the pulpit but handed down by other generations as to what a `christian` should do or not. Probably society has a bit to do with that back then, not now. The `West` was supposed to be a `Christian society` and because Christians did stand out in their behavior (of not doing....) then it seems it has stuck.

Could be a good discussion here and with your men`s group as to what behavior we as believers would stand out in our society - lights in the darkness so to speak.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,038
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, FJK said:

It is a bit hard to keep them all if we don't acknowledge that they are laws to be kept.

FWIW, many of those laws of Moses -actually most of them- are civil, social and cultural laws that pertain to Israel and not meant for anyone else.  You have to look back to the days of Noah and the laws given him to find the basic laws that all men are meant to live by.

My thinking, my understanding.

On most mornings in Central Park, New York City, but especially in summer, hundreds of New Yorkers sit, walk, jog and/or picnic in the Park. Many have their dogs with them. The rules of conduct in Central Park are enforced by New York's Finest because there is ample opportunity for the crazies (including muggers) to bother the locals. But the dogs are a law unto themselves. The urinate in public, defecate on the grass, chase the squirrels, fight with each other, threaten the pedestrians and even have sexual intercourse with each other in public. Do they not know that all these things will get you arrested? Why do the show such disdain for New York's Laws? The answer is, they're DOGS and being dogs, they have a DOG-nature, and act accordingly.

Fallen man has Adam's nature, and you can post 2,400 Laws, and with great effort and self discipline he will avoid breaking all of them for about a year. Why? Because his intrinsic nature is sin (singular), and that produces "sins" (plural). The New Testament economy is drastically different to the Old. In the Old, God dwelt WITH man and man had to be ritually clean to host this glorious and holy God. But when God comes to dwell IN a man, ritual cleanliness of an utterly fallen flesh is seem by this glorious and holy God as "filthy (monthly) rags". Do humble Himself and dwell IN man he has get our Lord Jesus to establish a perfect righteousness and then impute it to us. The flesh is counted as having been crucified with Christ and righteous works stem from the New Nature we have - if we apply Christ's work. The new way is summed up concisely and eloquently in Philippians 2;

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

The "own salvation" is not being absolved of Gehenna. It is the sanctification of the soul - the process of 2nd Corinthians 3:18. The "fear and trembling" is for the consequence of not voluntarily taking this way of denying the self and crucifying the flesh. The resources is GOD IN YOU (2nd Pet.1:4).

But I'm happy to say we agree on most points. A study of God requirements is crucial and the Law was given exclusively to Israel.

46 These are the statutes and judgments and laws, which the LORD made between him and the children of Israel in mount Sinai by the hand of Moses. (Le 26:46).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,217
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Hey VA. Never in my 50y since He found me felt, heard God give me a bunch of rules to follow. He does treat each of us uniquely, all equal yet uniquely. Lol there is always some bother or sister that just has to tell you what you should or should not be doing. Oddly the one that we expect to be talking says nothing. We all have His book. 

There is a reason since I was born I do not, well I'm free no rules and to my other brother I do not have any rules for others. That's me not Him. Its not you that started this work in me nor is it up to you to finish what He started. Its here before our eyes. Are you really a Christian if you... then others sharing the word and "commands" what not. 

Haha its just a big family and there's always that one that runs to dad/mom to tell on you when ever you did something. There's always that one that tells you what to do or makes you do what they tell you to do. There's always that one that tells you "dad/mom" love me more you were never wanted" on and on.

So for me I don't see any rules. Again that's not Him its me, since I was born. My mom told me stories how when I was told don't do that you can't, your to small what ever I would go and prove them wrong by doing it. When it comes to faith that really helps yet I have to every day I mean every day fight that "no one tells me what I can or cannot do". So God my Father only once when I was told to "run" I questioned it "why run I'm not scared" to that He said "when God tells you to do something you do not question it you just do it" to that I smiled and said yes sir. So He never tells me gives me rules. He will never go against our will. It has hurt my relationship so much. For years always thinking He doesn't care. Oh I have had wonderful encounter's with Him but.. it was me keeping Him away. Still those "rules/commands" I don't see them they way some do. 

I see it like a huge swimming pool and I am just a kid and I go run to jump in but mom/dad stop me put this huge thing around my neck and what are these bubble things on my arms? Those others kids don't have then on. Haha.. always to help because I can not see what is out there always coming for me to kill, steal and destroy. If I just listen to my Father and just say ok..He will never let me go and no one but no one will take me from Him. Keep your rules and commands.. your not Him nor can you finish what you never started in me

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,429
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Well the brother has to realize that he was veild and walking in darkness or blindness before being "born again". Now that the scales has been removed from the eyes, the automatic srife to walk in the straight and narrow way are not rules, but the way to holiness and all that entails in the process of santification.  

So the cares of this world, does not mean much in the journey to the celestial city. Ask Christian, the main character from John Bunyan " ThePilgrims Progress", how he felt when the burden fell of his back which he was carrying . 

Also,  to learn the new nature and the battle that is now real and the armor and such that is necessary. Well it is an experience that babes will just have to endure and later can pass it one to the ones that will utter that very statement. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,598
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Don't smoke; don't chew; don't go with girls who do! 

Oh! From the Book of Probes.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,332
  • Content Per Day:  2.81

11 hours ago, FJK said:

So what do you say that means?

Gal 2

16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  431
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  08/31/1950

18 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Oh! From the Book of Probes.

pardon?