Is self harm morally wrong?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,I started to smoke because my own parents are mistreating me and I had no one to support me.I tried praying a lot but my prayers were unanswered and I had the idea that if I die of lung cancer everything will be better.I realise this is not the answer but it's very hard to live all by yourself.This isn't about stress this is about the continous state of struggling,loneliness and pressured by others.

I have no life and I have no idea what to do!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Hi Wolly,

You and I have similar pasts, but that is what it is, our past.  You speak of many issues here, not just smoking or self harm.  Loneliness is a very hard issue to deal with, but you are never really alone.  You have God and He will never leave nor forsake you.  If it's people you seek, have you tried getting involved in a local body of Christians?  If it's just companionship you seek, I know many people who have gotten a pet for this purpose.  I have a dog to keep me company.  I also have found ways to be involved with the community through interest I have.

Being pressured by others is a very common issue, only because everyone has an opinion and wants to share it with you.  It's up to each of us if we allow their "suggestions" to cause pressure in our lives or not.  If we do, then we have basically given control of our lives to them.  If not, then accept their suggestions with a smile and consider if what they are saying is best for you ... you can always refuse to follow any persons suggestions and still remain friends (if you what to remain friends).

To me, and this is my personal opinion -  smoking is no worse than any other self harm problems, like eating junk food, drinking alcohol, watching bad movies, etc.  They are all personal choices we make.  In my lifetime, I've given up many bad habits, but, to date, have not quit smoking.  Just like coffee, I've found a use for it and am not ready yet to give them up.

I know I didn't answer you question on smoking, but wanted to support you with your loneliness and pressures from others.  You are not alone with any of this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

5 hours ago, wolly said:

lung cancer everything will be better.

You don't want to die that way if you can help it...  Wolly, I don't know a lot about the general society where you live, so I really don't have a clue how to help.  I do know that in all my years, the only way to make good friends is to be a good friend. That old treat others as you want to be treated.

As for family that just won't treat you right, if possible, just get own with life.  Get a job and be out on your own and go places where you can meet people in a wholesome way.  We found friends in college 50 years ago and are still friends and visit with them every week, along with going to the same church. 

Anyway, I have had a couple of uncles and three cousins that died from lung cancer, and that's no way to go.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

On 2/1/2024 at 10:15 PM, OneLight said:

Hi Wolly,

You and I have similar pasts

Well were you too mistreated and bullied  by your parents?

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Is self harm morally wrong?
Yes for the child of God for the Bible says:
1 Corinthians 6:20 (KJV)

[20] For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

So The Fathers Son was what the Father paid for you... do you really have no value? In the lies of this place you don't so might as well off yourself... But in The truth of Scripture your value is immeasurable...

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

On 2/3/2024 at 9:32 AM, wolly said:

Well were you too mistreated and bullied  by your parents?

In my eyes, worse, but this can only lead to comparing your life to mine, which is never a good idea.  Accept the fact that many in this world have been mistreated and see what you can learn from them.  Let it go ... give it to God.  You can't change your past, only seek a better future.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.92
  • Days Won:  1

On 2/1/2024 at 12:55 PM, wolly said:

Skipping over all the scriptural quoting and platitudinous stuff, Just do this:  Go join in on a church group of some kind, many, many churches have age oriented activity groups and (maybe even better) Bible study groups that are open to anyone interested and not just members (often age group oriented as well).

Try it, you have nothing to lose by doing so and might gain everything your looking for.

So now for the scriptural stuff:  Jesus said to seek the Kingdom of God first and all the other things will be added to you. That "life" you want is falls in the category of the other things that will be added.  (Ref. Matthew 6:33)

May the Lord bless you and bring his guidance to you this day.

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 2/1/2024 at 2:55 PM, wolly said:

Hi,I started to smoke because my own parents are mistreating me and I had no one to support me.I tried praying a lot but my prayers were unanswered and I had the idea that if I die of lung cancer everything will be better.I realise this is not the answer but it's very hard to live all by yourself.This isn't about stress this is about the continous state of struggling,loneliness and pressured by others.

What to do. First; pray  for and about your parents. Second; listen and pray some more for and about your parents. Third; read within the word of God, the Bible, and pray, plus think on the word read. Fourth; get job, fifth get a second job and a third even. You will become so busy  with life you will  only have need  for a bit of rest. Then rest in the Lord- Reading the bible will give you understanding of what that means.

Smoking? Bluntly put, it is the coward's suicide. I tried five packs a day myself. What an idiotic waste that was. There is life to be had, good life too! Hang on my child, joy comes in the morning. There is both morning and joy coming for you. Seek it prayerfully and never ever give up.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

On 2/1/2024 at 7:55 PM, wolly said:

This isn't about stress this is about the continous state of struggling,loneliness and pressured by others.

Life can be very hard when one is own one's own with no family  or friends to get help or advice from.

That said can you change jobs to one that is less stressful,  could you meet all your bills, could you lower your costs in some way. 

Otherwise as TFK has said get involved with a local chu4ch.

Check out there Web sites, watch any online services, even email the minister with questions and give them a try.

To make friends one has to b3 friendly, which means opening ones self to the possibility of rejection.

Look out for the people on the fringe, often they are struggling to be accepted so try and befriend them.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

Wolly, study the word continue to pray even if it seems not answered. Learn how our creator feels about you

• Praying! 1