• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Sports isn't the only offender to this. I have to say that getting excited about sports and enjoying it isn't the problem, but the problem is when some people make it their life. Personally, I don't like sports much...but it's an ok thing....it just needs to be taken off the high and mighty pedestal it's on right now.

No, sports isn't the only idol in people's lives, but since it was the topic of the thread, I didn't want to go into the many other idols that can penetrate our lives. We are all susceptible to them if we aren't on guard.

I didn't intend to say that sports were bad. I apologize if it came across that way. There are plenty of people who enjoy sports in their rightful place. There's nothing wrong with that. But, boy oh boy, when it's taken for more than it really is, it becomes a trap that the enemy uses. Just read any of the conversations on most any sports thread online and you will see more passionate conversations, loyalty, determination and excitement about their team's successes than you will in threads where people are talking about the the victories of God. Do they get as excited about someone they've never met coming to know the Lord as they do someone they've never met winning a game? Someone coming to know the Lord gets met with, "That's cool," but when their team wins a game, it's "YEAH! WOO HOO! ALRIGHT!!!!" and it's high fives all around.

I just find it incredibly sad.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/24/1985

Sports isn't the only offender to this. I have to say that getting excited about sports and enjoying it isn't the problem, but the problem is when some people make it their life. Personally, I don't like sports much...but it's an ok thing....it just needs to be taken off the high and mighty pedestal it's on right now.

No, sports isn't the only idol in people's lives, but since it was the topic of the thread, I didn't want to go into the many other idols that can penetrate our lives. We are all susceptible to them if we aren't on guard.

I didn't intend to say that sports were bad. I apologize if it came across that way. There are plenty of people who enjoy sports in their rightful place. There's nothing wrong with that. But, boy oh boy, when it's taken for more than it really is, it becomes a trap that the enemy uses. Just read any of the conversations on most any sports thread online and you will see more passionate conversations, loyalty, determination and excitement about their team's successes than you will in threads where people are talking about the the victories of God. Do they get as excited about someone they've never met coming to know the Lord as they do someone they've never met winning a game? Someone coming to know the Lord gets met with, "That's cool," but when their team wins a game, it's "YEAH! WOO HOO! ALRIGHT!!!!" and it's high fives all around.

I just find it incredibly sad.

it is a rather backwards world we live in. I would think that Jesus should be the most exciteing thing ever, yet everyone seems to at times just not be truely comprehending of the Glory of God....because if they did, sports would be boring to them! Not to say that I always comprehend it...but those times that I do are amazing :rolleyes:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Why do you watch the ssupper bowl?

fellowship

comercials

half time show

for the game

I watch the "supper bowl" when I'm hungry. If I watch the Super Bowl, it will be primarily to see a good football game and to root for Shawn Alexander, who grew up in my area; whose mom lives in the next town.

SLE

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,884
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

Never watched a Super Bowl and never will. I could care less about football, actually.

I always thought football in general was a waste of time. Now, baseball can be played every day, not once a week. That is excitement!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

Why do you watch the ssupper bowl?

fellowship

comercials

half time show

for the game

I DON'T, especially since they do not seem to care about the entertainment they put on the air anymore, the jackson girl is not the only one with the on air sex show and other nasties..... that, and it would take away from time I spend in the presence of God...........

the sporting events i enjoy are auto racing, running, gymnastics, skating, dance (dancing is starting to loose support due to movements) and even these do not get the attention they could have if on at different times.......

now,

I will assist with the SOUPER BOWL, an event to bring food to those that don't have.....

it is a rather backwards world we live in. I would think that Jesus should be the most exciteing thing ever, yet everyone seems to at times just not be truely comprehending of the Glory of God....because if they did, sports would be boring to them! Not to say that I always comprehend it...but those times that I do are amazing :thumbsup:

yep....

you dont usually see people from church hoopin' and hollerin' out on the streets about how excited they are about Christ, but you do about troy aikman or that one that advertises pantiehose, or about the bronco's or indians or, or,or......

why don't we????

Lord, I ask you to grant me the courage to be even more bold in the Holy Name of Jesus, Your Precious Son.... Help me to continue to proclaim Your Glory from the roof tops, the mountain tops, on every street corner, in all the world...... ..............

• Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I hear what you are saying, Keith.

But . . .

They don't throw parties with a group of their friends over to watch a good Bible teaching program.

"Party" + "teaching" are two words that mix together like oil and water! :thumbsup:

And somehow, the idea of jumping up and down and screaming like a lunatic in the middle of a discussion on the Good Samaritan just doesn't seem very likely. :taped:

Again, I hear what you are saying. But in context sports are a good energy release, a good time to get goofy, a good way to have fellowship and exercise and a break from other stresses of life and all that. But, hey - if you can give me a church whee I can dress up in war paint and team uniform and blow a party horn whenever something good is said, yeah I'd be there in a heartbeat! But I don't think the pastor wold like getting upstaged by my screaming and cheering and geting looney!

All that is to say it's a different kind-of adrenaline rush you get at sporting events than you can in a sermon or in testimonies. The excitement I get over someone's conversion may not be as intense at the moment, but the happiness is longer lasting. The sports excitement does get kind-of hollow rather quick after the rush dies away.

• Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

BTW - the DJ on the radio yesterday said something kind-of funny.

I think he said he heard this from someone else. But it went something like this:

The Christian life is like the Super Bowl.

There's 24 guys on the field getting the tar stuffed out of themselves,

While 12,000 people in the stands cheer them on!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  07/18/1956

i am do not watch football,so it really doesn't matter to me,however the church i go to said last sunday that after this sunday's service the men will move our the chairs from the santuary and set up a big screen and they will be having a superbowl party in there.they said they can bring some unsaved people with them and show you can have fun without beer and junk..we don't sunday night service anymore,because pastor says that we need family time.

my problem is having this in the santuary.i feel that this room should be set a side for with fellowship with Jesus,they have a fellowship hall if they want to do it at the church.they said

we need to get men in the community in the church and inviting them infor supperbowl party is a good idea.

am i just sister bertha better than you or am i right to feel the SANTUARY is the wrong place?

And somehow, the idea of jumping up and down and screaming like a lunatic in the middle of a discussion on the Good Samaritan just doesn't seem very likely.

I dont know.....

there were these two college students, one an agnostic, totally against anything to do with the Lord or His word, the other a fairly new Christian, room mates.....'

one evening while both were in the room studying, the new Christian, Bill, Hollers out " PRAISE THE LORD, HALLALUHA!!!!!!! "

The agnostice Joe, looks over and asks what is wrong with him.....

Bill replys, " I am reading here in Exodus and reading the part where Moses is trying to get the Israelites to just trust in God, and then they were trapped between the Red sea and the Pillar of fire with the Egyptians on the other side of the fire... and God has Moses lift up his staff and the Red Sea parts and dry land appears for them to walk across.....

Joe shakes his head and starts filling him in: you know, that the Red Sea has a shallow area of only a couple inches, that if there is a strong east wind, that the water can be pushed off of it and the ground then can be dryed up, and can actually be crossed.....

Oh! says Bill.......

a few minutes later, Bill has returned to his studies, and then you hear him Bellow out, and start jumping up and down shouting Praises to the Lord......

Joe looked over and said "Now What" very irritated...

Bill tells him...... The Lord just drownd the entire Egytian army and all their horses in two inches of water... WWAAAAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

my problem is having this in the santuary.i feel that this room should be set a side for with fellowship with Jesus,they have a fellowship hall if they want to do it at the church.they said

we need to get men in the community in the church and inviting them infor supperbowl party is a good idea.

I HAVE TO AGREE

MIKE